Men vs Tennessee Game Thread

Maverick.AU

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

THIS. IS. MARCH. As the legend Jon rothstein says!!! Lol. Down goes San Diego state in the mountain west tourney final!

I literally Boom’d when I saw it during this duke v UNC game

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I literally Boom’d when I saw it during this duke v UNC game

Brooo I feel you fammy!!!! I freaking felt that Brodie! N Hahaha I was like no freaking way that goes in!!!  It was a terrible NBA 3 pointer shot!!! Lol but maaaaaan that was sooooo pure!!!! Nothing but string music baby!!!

Ridiculous!!!! How is this the same kid who when we played them last season only was able to play 16 minutes vs us off the bench!? Lol. Un real the glow up from him after 1 off season.

All things considered, I thought this was our best game this season. I really didn't like our chances before the game started and was resigned to a loss. War Eagle! No fruit sucks like a big orange!

The best part of this game for me was that it was just entertaining. I'd look at this season alot differently if they didn't lose so many road games in depressing manner. But the UK game and this one make me feel a little better about how this team will fare away from home.

Another likely LSU matchup and potential UK revenge have me excited. Hoping to get UVA in a bracket too

12363740977409146911236374097740914691https://twitter.com/AUbracketology/status/1236374097740914691 There's something mystical to me for getting another run back as a 5 seed, but I can't turn down a 4 seed either

I want to see Akingbola get a few of Mac's minutes the next time we go against a physical inside guy, aka Nebo. Mac has not played well lately and Akingbola held his own yesterday. Nebo is a different story,though

Ain't it amazin' what can happen if some shots start fallin' from outside. That was a fun game to watch. And it makes the loss to A&M at home on Senior Night a few days ago that much more disappointing.

WDE!

2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

I want to see Akingbola get a few of Mac's minutes the next time we go against a physical inside guy, aka Nebo. Mac has not played well lately and Akingbola held his own yesterday. Nebo is a different story,though

I honestly don't know why Mac's game has fallen off so much. I knew he had been playing bad but when I went to the stats it was even worse. Since the second half of the bama game (He missed his last 3 point attempt in that game) he is 0 for his last 17 3 point attempts. When he decides to play to his height and get down low he's not horrible and he's way better than from behind the 3 point line. At this point, him shooting a 3 is just a turnover.

Screenshot_2020-03-08 Anfernee McLemore Game by Game Stats and Performance ESPN.png

51 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I honestly don't know why Mac's game has fallen off so much. I knew he had been playing bad but when I went to the stats it was even worse. Since the second half of the bama game (He missed his last 3 point attempt in that game) he is 0 for his last 17 3 point attempts. When he decides to play to his height and get down low he's not horrible and he's way better than from behind the 3 point line. At this point, him shooting a 3 is just a turnover.

Screenshot_2020-03-08 Anfernee McLemore Game by Game Stats and Performance ESPN.png

And he's not a great inside player as a post guy. He needs to get rebounds, and block shots and get points in short spaces. I don't mind him taking 1 3, just to see if he can get his confidence back. But as bad as he has shot it out there, he has to know he can't shoot a bunch of them, especially when we need points and its late in a game.

Any time we beat utk or uat, I’m in heaven but yesterday’s win was extra sweet. I wouldn’t trade CBP for any coach in the game. He’s brought winning basketball (consistently!) to my AU...honestly something I doubted I’d ever see.  

Something CBP said after the game has me kinda scratching my head.  Speaking on this game reminding him of last season’s team...“Well I think last year it was the way we shot it. I thought Grant Williams won every matchup, every night. Except he did not win the matchup against Chuma Okeke. I say that because Grant Williams was my favorite player in college basketball last year, period. My favorite player on any team, including my own.” 

I’m not trying to start anything. The comment, to me anyway, seems out of place. His favorite player last season was on another, rival, team?  Not a player on the team he recruited, lived and died with, took to the Final Four, should have coached for the national championship?  Again, don’t want try to do anything to take away from a big win and another twenty-five (25!) win regular season, it could just be me. 

42 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

Any time we beat utk or uat, I’m in heaven but yesterday’s win was extra sweet. I wouldn’t trade CBP for any coach in the game. He’s brought winning basketball (consistently!) to my AU...honestly something I doubted I’d ever see.  

Something CBP said after the game has me kinda scratching my head.  Speaking on this game reminding him of last season’s team...“Well I think last year it was the way we shot it. I thought Grant Williams won every matchup, every night. Except he did not win the matchup against Chuma Okeke. I say that because Grant Williams was my favorite player in college basketball last year, period. My favorite player on any team, including my own.” 

I’m not trying to start anything. The comment, to me anyway, seems out of place. His favorite player last season was on another, rival, team?  Not a player on the team he recruited, lived and died with, took to the Final Four, should have coached for the national championship?  Again, don’t want try to do anything to take away from a big win and another twenty-five (25!) win regular season, it could just be me. 

Probably so. 

57 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

I heard it also, and I had the same "WTH" moment that you did. I was not a big fan of Williams( sneaky dirty) he played hard every second that he was on the court

Got to take the good with the bad and CAMBRIDGE ENDED THE YEAR NOT HITTING ONE FREAKING THREE IN ANY TRUE ROAD GAME!!!!!! In fact he only hit 1 three on a neutral court as well (ST Louis in B'Ham). THAT HAS HAS HAAAAAAAAAAAS to change next season. I hope he breaks out of this outside Auburn Arena funk in Nashville but until it actually happens I seriously doubt it. WAR DAMN!!

On 3/7/2020 at 12:59 PM, Maverick.AU said:

Lol the guy that’s always a dick, you Literally don’t post unless you’re trying to s*** on someone. You rarely post all year and then come in and start wanting to do play by play in the last minute of the game, of all times. Just stop. Pretty rich of u to call anyone a dick lol

Yep. This post is dead on.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:38 PM, auburndkel said:

Pretty sure Bruce would give his life for anyone on his roster and gives them plenty of love. I'm sure no one on the team was hurt by this quote. 

On 3/8/2020 at 12:25 PM, tgrogan21 said:

He has to quit looking for 3s. If he finds himself wide open maybe once or twice a game then..... but he has shot him self out of being considered a shooter. His mechanics have appeared to have changed too. His shot comes out very low and is very blockable. He might be rushing it. He is still needed and valued. Just got to play within himself. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

He has to quit looking for 3s. If he finds himself wide open maybe once or twice a game then..... but he has shot him self out of being considered a shooter. His mechanics have appeared to have changed too. His shot comes out very low and is very blockable. He might be rushing it. He is still needed and valued. Just got to play within himself. 

One of the biggest issues for him on the inside is he lost his pet play: the alley oop on the PnR with Jared Harper. J'Von has a lot of trouble making the pass to the roller, when he gets trapped he panics.

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

Pretty sure Bruce would give his life for anyone on his roster and gives them plenty of love. I'm sure no one on the team was hurt by this quote. 

Yep, I took it as Pearl trying to show a little love to the Tennessee fanbase. He also used that as a platform to emphasize what Chuma accomplished last year. 

7 hours ago, Kaiiu said:

One of the biggest issues for him on the inside is he lost his pet play: the alley oop on the PnR with Jared Harper. J'Von has a lot of trouble making the pass to the roller, when he gets trapped he panics.

man its going to be amazing to have a PG that can hit PnR alleys in situations where they arent ass naked open. Jvon is certainly doing the best for the team when he's being a pure facilitator, but its sad to see how limited the passes are that he can make (compared to Jared who could hit just about every one) 

I'm in the minority here but I think for us to be our best and most dangerous for opponents is if Mac is firing off 3s. Even if he doesn't make them it opens everything up inside the arc for us because it forces the opposing center to come out and guard him. They've seen enough of Mac to know that he will shoot and he will make them -- even if he's in a slump right now.

When Bowden from Tennessee endid his cold spell against us when we played them at home, he broke out of his slump with an explosion. I'm expecting Mac to hit a flurry of 3s for us that ends up being the difference in the game in one of these tournaments coming up.

The devastating leg injury to Mac a few years ago really screwed his game up. He was a freak out there. A 6'7 rim protecting 3 point bombing center who's vertical leap and ability to avoid fouling by having his lower body under control and having his arms straight were absolute game changers for us. I feel terrible that was robbed from him. He was a true mismatch for anybody we played against.

20 hours ago, alexava said:

I agree on Macs mechanics being off. I think he has gotten too focused on his form and the shot looks way robotic now. Hope he can find a way to make a few. We are a dangerous team when Mac hits a couple 3s.

Archived