Georgetown Guard Transfer Mac McClung commits to Texas Tech

Maverick.AU

My gosh getting this guy would be huge for a Pearl led team

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very close to Gate City. I remember when Mac was playing high school ball and wishing he would go to AU. Mac would be a great addition. If he does, would that mean we are out if room for JK?

AU may be the favorite but Penny is working this one hard for Memphis. One of the more consistent insiders on the bunker said MM will get the waiver to play immediately.

Getting him & the waiver would be huge for AU in this next season.

1 minute ago, thewhiz7 said:

If he does, would that mean we are out if room for JK?

No. We would take Kuminga but the odds are long he picks AU & has been for over a month.

Has McClung said when he wants to make a decision?  Sorry if I have missed it.

BP does a good job if improving individuals' shooting; the kid's range is great, but if he can take smarter shots and make them at a higher clip, he's going to be a PROBLEM when our spacing lineups are formed

I think if he's willing to play off the ball more and cap those iso opportunities to a minimum, his offense can outweigh how bad he is on defense. He's BAD on defense. But he's a great catch and shoot guy and can move off the ball 

3 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Has McClung said when he wants to make a decision?  Sorry if I have missed it.

@roe4christ Nope and you haven’t. @Jake Crain,who is the first one to say Auburn was a major factor, thinks it’ll be in the next couple weeks but did say that’s a guess.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

S/o to the JBoy show

Yep! I’m going to embed his Mac McClung episode here soon.

Some good stuff here from @Jake Crain posted last night. Only about an 8 minute listen. I know we have a McClung thread but wanted this to be separate for a week or so to max views on this podcast episode for coach.

Here is another McClung episode from last week...

Other great episodes from The Jboy Show...

https://anchor.fm/jake-crain

May be a dumb question but what does CG stand for? Not very b-ball savvy!

SG shooting guard 

PG point guard

CG ? cover guard? Lol

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

what does CG stand for?

Combo Guard. A guy that can play the 1 or the 2.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I knew it wasn’t cover guard because his defense looks pretty iffy at best! 😝 

Kid will definitely be asked to do less, and share the spotlight more at AU than he did at Georgetown. I know he has been the center of attention on every team he has been on, up to this point, and it looks as though he likes it. He will have to give into team ball under Coach Pearl or this could be a failed experience.

13 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Kid will definitely be asked to do less, and share the spotlight more at AU than he did at Georgetown. I know he has been the center of attention on every team he has been on, up to this point, and it looks as though he likes it. He will have to give into team ball under Coach Pearl or this could be a failed experience.

It would probably be the best life lesson, as well as career boosting, he could get by  playing as a team guy!

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I wonder if this is what Pearl is selling him on. He would start at the 2, but definitely get some 1 time spelling Cooper. And it is possible that Cooper will need some seasoning just playing top level college teams, and McClung definitely will bring big time college experience to our lineup.

I just hope McClung is not just interested on being a PG(Not sure what his best way to the NBA is?), cause we can't sell him on just PG with Cooper here.

p.s. every time i see the name Mac McClung, I want to call him Marty McFly. :)

31 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I wonder if this is what Pearl is selling him on.

Yes. We've been looking for a viable Combo Guard for months now & what we've been talking about in the thread.

31 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

p.s. every time i see the name Mac McClung, I want to call him Marty McFly. :)

I want to call him Billy Hoyle because he looks like Billy Hoyle from the movie White Men Can't Jump (with better hops) playing with all those brothers.

1 minute ago, Dunndone414 said:

Announcing a list of seven potential destinations today. 

Per JLee.

@Dunndone414 post your source whenever possible.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Per JLee.

@Dunndone414 post your source whenever possible.

My source was the great Jon Rothstein. 

Hopefully we get a “welcome to the jungle” out of him soon. 

Coach posted on FB about an hour ago that McClung wants to decide within a week of today where he's going, and that he's dropping a list of schools tonight.

3 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

He has appeared to be a "I want the spotlight" guy, but I never like to label people as career ballhogs until I see that as being concrete. Pat Ewing played hardball with the guys there, and maybe he wasn't the right one to break his players' bad tendencies (he had a couple other transfers as I understand). 

Based on what some of you guys have said, he seems like an outlier for CBP.  CBP puts a premium on defense.  I understand a frosh who needs to be taught D, but this kid is a transfer.  HIs O may be good but is it great enough to not be able to play D?

if he wants to go next level, I’d assume he’d need to do a couple things out of the following ... grow a few inches, Improve his O (good but nba good?), play better D, be better cog on a team, play more of a PG role for his height, etc...

I like the idea of him coming if he’ll stay a couple years and be a team guy.  CBP encourages the guys to shoot if they have a good shot.  Appears MM has that part down and could do well under CBP 

Archived