Drew Brees Comments

Grumps

https://sports.yahoo.com/drew-brees-addresses-nfl-players-kneeling-in-2020-i-will-never-agree-with-anybody-disrespecting-the-flag-164423496.html

Brees’ full answer:

“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country. Let me just tell what I see or what I feel when the national anthem is played and when I look at the flag of the United States. I envision my two grandfathers, who fought for this country during World War II, one in the Army and one in the Marine Corp. Both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place. So every time I stand with my hand over my heart looking at that flag and singing the national anthem, that’s what I think about. And in many cases, that brings me to tears, thinking about all that has been sacrificed. Not just those in the military, but for that matter, those throughout the civil rights movements of the ‘60s, and all that has been endured by so many people up until this point. And is everything right with our country right now? No, it is not. We still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and showing respect to the flag with your hand over your heart, is it shows unity. It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better and that we are all part of the solution.”

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://news.yahoo.com/saints-drew-brees-pens-apology-153840518.html

By early morning on Thursday, a video of Saints quarterback Drew Brees talking about his thoughts on protesting during the playing of the national anthem had been viewed more than 11 million times.

Brees said Wednesday he would “never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country.”

That drew a sharp rebuke from players around the NFL, including Brees’ teammates and some Chiefs players.

On Thursday morning, Brees penned an apology, which he shared on Instagram.

“I would like to apologize to my friends, teammates, the City of New Orleans, the black community, NFL community and anyone I hurt with my comments yesterday,” Brees wrote. “In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country.

“They lacked awareness and any type of compassion or empathy. Instead, those words have become divisive and hurtful and have misled people into believing that somehow I am an enemy. This could not be further from the truth, and is not an accurate reflection of my heart or my character.”

I have several white friends who are finally really trying to understand how their actions are more racist than they thought. They finally actually want to do better. As crazy as it may seem, if Drew Brees is going to become a villain because of how he sees the National anthem then much of the progress that has been made in the hearts and minds of many of these white people is going to be erased. This is really sad to me.

13 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I have several white friends who are finally really trying to understand how their actions are more racist than they thought. They finally actually want to do better. As crazy as it may seem, if Drew Brees is going to become a villain because of how he sees the National anthem then much of the progress that has been made in the hearts and minds of many of these white people is going to be erased. This is really sad to me.

Maybe he shouldn't be villainized, but his comments were tonedeaf and put out at the worst possible moment. It seems understandable that people reacted to his comments harshly. That doesn't mean there isn't conversation to be had to understand his views, but this was a dumb time to voice it in the way that he did.

It's ironic how many people see Kaepernick insulting the country and the men who fought for it but are fine with Trump using the bible as an obvious and cynical political prop for a photo op.

But more to the point, such statements such as Brees's presume that kneeling during the anthem is somehow more harmful to the country's principles than cops simply ignoring or dismissing those principles when applied to black people.

That's more insulting to the cause that veterans and fought and died for.  It only serves to make their sacrifices vain and a hypocritical sham instead of truly meaningful.

Do not all Americans deserve the protections of our democracy, or is it only for white people?

49 minutes ago, Grumps said:

It's not as much about how Brees sees the national anthem as how much he sees - and understands- what Colin Kaepernick is trying to convey.

The national anthem is just a song and the flag is is just a symbolic piece of cloth.

Kaepernick is addressing the actual principles for which patriotic symbols are supposed to be representing.  Without honoring and respecting those principles, the symbols mean nothing.

I am not sure Brees really gets it still.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Then your friends aren't really trying that hard.

4 hours ago, Grumps said:

Brees seems to understand their problem with his perception/statement— if your friends are sincere, they’ll take their cues from him.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Damn I loathe Ted Cruz's dumb ass

Being from Texas and on the left, I’m sure you do.  You can ship him to NC.

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Sometimes people just need to keep their mouth shut. 

Anybody in particular?  Should we not have dissenting opinions?  

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Anybody in particular?  Should we not have dissenting opinions?  

Ted Cruz. Hell, I voted for him and will again. But, now isn’t the time to try to politicize the situation more than it is. 

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Brees seems to understand their problem with his perception/statement— if your friends are sincere, they’ll take their cues from him.

I hope you are right.

If one’s focus is too much on self then you could interpret the criticism as “If you disagree with the current belief then you are a callous a**hole.” It’s not like the idea of standing for the National anthem is inherently bad. 

21 minutes ago, Grumps said:

If one’s focus is too much on self then you could interpret the criticism as “If you disagree with the current belief then you are a callous a**hole.” It’s not like the idea of standing for the National anthem is inherently bad. 

Who ever suggested that it is?

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Of course coming from the guy who don't know ANYTHING about being in a professional locker room lol

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Got a weasel shortage there?

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

In this tweet, Cruz tries to say the Brees can't talk because of the "angry left".  No, Brees was schooled BY HIS OWN TEAMMATES.  It's not a left mob.  It's the people he shares a locker room with that really got to Brees.

Again showing why Ted Cruz is a dumbass.

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Got a weasel shortage there?

One of our Senators is under investigation for a stock deal, so we may need one.

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

In this tweet, Cruz tries to say the Brees can't talk because of the "angry left".  No, Brees was schooled BY HIS OWN TEAMMATES.  It's not a left mob.  It's the people he shares a locker room with that really got to Brees.

Again showing why Ted Cruz is a dumbass.

Plus he is still trying to push the wildly false narrative that any player in that locker room disagrees with respect for the flag.

More bush league tactics to divide the commoners and get us fighting with each other instead of focusing on the real problem.

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Plus he is still trying to push the wildly false narrative that any player in that locker room disagrees with respect for the flag.

More bush league tactics to divide the commoners and get us fighting with each other instead of focusing on the real problem.

Cruz is a snake. Most hated person in the Senate.

Archived