Drew Brees Comments

Grumps

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The defunding is by no means limited to California. I need to learn more about it but I believe it will happen in many areas.

What they’ve endured the last few weeks has been terrible. But everyone of them needs to remember it is actions of their own that put them there. Events in Buffalo indicate they haven’t learned that yet. If the rank and file want to be treated with respect they need to pressure their leadership to change the police culture. Their situation and ours would become better very quickly. 

Minnesota and NY are talking about it also, you know the states with no fiscal responsibility.  What does this entail?  It’s a concept that some people can get behind, but the devil is in the details.

There was a Santa Cruz deputy that was killed in an ambush on Saturday.  Where is the respect for what they do?  The world only sees the bad in cops when something like Buffalo happens.  Do you believe cops like Chauvin are widespread in all police departments?  The stats do not reflect that.  The cops are on edge, like a lot of us and they are human.  Humans make mistakes, we can only put policies in place and hope they will make a difference.  But, it will happen again, then what?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/northern-california-sheriffs-deputy-killed-ambush-shooting-bombing/story?id=71119099

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, you think if your company had a huge press conference scheduled with media present and you, right before the presentation, got up and protested anything for two minutes, you wouldn’t be fired?

CK enjoyed privilege that few other people have and still does.

What is the end game here, Cole?  Who is in charge of this protest?  I have heard in Minneapolis and L.A.that they want to defund the police.  Do you think that is a good thing?  Do you think separating this country into patriots and protesters is a good strategy?

Whether you believe CK was and is sincere or is a devise personality the country is torn.  What happens after the trial?  I think Chauvin will be convicted, but the two rookies could get off.  What then?

The trial is the culmination of our justice system.  Do think the verdict will be accepted if two get off?  If the verdict is not acceptable, how would you change the system?

If I was protesting something that all people should agree is wrong, especially if the company couldn't be existence without the 95% make up of it's employees and I'm protesting for equality for that make up, ABSOLUTELY the company wouldn't have any problems with it whatsoever

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

So much cluelessness in this post. 

It's sad. Can't tell him anything otherwise though. If you disagree you don't accept facts.....these fasts that he just tell you....no data or evidence....just because he says so

And lol at the empathy of who would want to become a police after the way they've been treated but an athlete that protested racism gave up his career and now he's a back up, doesn't mean anything and etc. 

You can't stop being black, they were enslaved for centuries built America no compensation, any talk of reparation makes everybody so angry, and it's not a choice you can't stop being black but there's no empathy for all the injustice or how we've been treated. In fact when asking about brutality from policemen the first thing you hear is well you kill each other fix that then we'll talk about you being killed by people sworn to protect....

But yeah policemen has such a bad deal....sucks to be them!

20 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not Grumps, but do you think the average citizen could publicly protest on the company’s dime and not get fired?

Most private companies don't require their employees to stand for the national anthem before they start for work.

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The left, of course.  If a back up QB can say he has sacrificed his career and Nike is his PR company, then that is meaningful sacrifice.  Now, lets look at real sacrifice, yesterday was the anniversary of D-Day where many young people gave their lives to save the America and the world against a tyrannical racist government.  That is real sacrifice, but now it is racist to be proud of those that gave their all for freedom.  Interesting world we live in now.

What a total disingenuous, BS statement. :no:

Kaepernick wasn't disrespecting the people who sacrificed for country and the principles that define it.  He was protesting the fact we have yet to live up to those principles

If anything, his demonstration shows respect to and honors those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country and it's principles. They didn't die for a flag, they died for what the flag represents  liberty and justice for all.

We as a country have failed them by not living up to the standards they died for.

Until we do, those deaths were in vain.

You may or may not be racist but you sure as hell don't understand Kaepernick's protest.

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Minnesota and NY are talking about it also, you know the states with no fiscal responsibility.  What does this entail?  It’s a concept that some people can get behind, but the devil is in the details.

There was a Santa Cruz deputy that was killed in an ambush on Saturday.  Where is the respect for what they do?  The world only sees the bad in cops when something like Buffalo happens.  Do you believe cops like Chauvin are widespread in all police departments?  The stats do not reflect that.  The cops are on edge, like a lot of us and they are human.  Humans make mistakes, we can only put policies in place and hope they will make a difference.  But, it will happen again, then what?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/northern-california-sheriffs-deputy-killed-ambush-shooting-bombing/story?id=71119099

I can only speak for myself. But this is not an either or / with us or against us situation.  I have friends and family who are in law enforcement and greatly admire those who do the job well. I hate to see cops killed or injured.

I used to say 99.9% of them are great people. Now I believe about 80% are. The onslaught of video evidence has shifted my opinion. The two officers in Buffalo had 57 of their partners resign because they were suspended for a blatant violation. After the department tried to lie about the evidence. The coverup and collusion has to change. I also believe most doctors, lawyers,  and preachers are great people. But those who are corrupt or commit malpractice must be held accountable.

You are right about the devil being in the details. Trust me when I say if my local area makes significant cuts in the police budget and it benefits the whole community, I will support it . If it doesn’t help the whole community or hurts cops, I won’t. Change is warranted and all of us will need to work together to make the right changes. 

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

We are talking about California here.  Pie in the sky and everything is rainbows and unicorns.  Worst homeless problem in the U.S. and so far behind on their pension plans (police, firefighters/EMTs and teachers) they will never dig out of their fiscal issues. The U.S. would have to define what exactly *defund the police* means and then standby to see if the police officers agree with the *new normal*.  I really don’t see why anyone would want to become a police officer with the way they are treated the last week or so.

Gowebb11 has it exactly right. 

This "defund the police" rhetoric stuff is not about doing away with the LEO function all together.  It's more about reallocating money that are being spent on police weaponry and equipment - and the prison system - and shifting it the social problems that are largely creating the day-to-day issues police face. 

Homelessness is largely caused by years of reductions in mental health.  Crime largely comes from the hopelessness and desperation resulting from a lack of economic and educational opportunity.

I heard yesterday that the US imprisons one third of all of the women - of all races - that are in prison in the entire world.  Thanks to the "tough on crime" stances of politicians, our prison system is nothing more than a conveyor belt, where people are released and go right back to what they are doing. (And yes I am aware of Biden's record on this.)

Bottom line, we need to shift spending to address problems directly instead of just policing it after it exists.  Done correctly, this could actually improve the lot of the police.

We need as a country to start thinking about how to do things differently.  What we've been doing is not working.  Certainly not in the case of racial inequality.

not sure about you but i would kneel anytime to save a life.you are worried about being offended while these other cats are worried about dying. those things are not even close.they are not even close. and the kneeling basically is trying to save lives. it is just that simple. i mean you have time to get over being offended but those cats that died? they get no second chance. you have the same talking points as a racist named trump does.  you understand this right?  you sure seem to be more worried about your butthurt than these folks dying needlessly. if taking a knee saves one life you should be for it. why you keep throwing this up just makes me think it is a polite way of saying you do not care. i argue thinking you would see the light but i forget trump does not like kneeling so i guess you got to fall in line with your boy right? i just read an article from some emt;s that got caught up and gassed.  he just gassed and beat some people during a peaceful and lawful protest so he could walk to the church and hold up a bible for a photo op. and he is not a christian he is a con man. i mean i have yet to hear one single trump guy on here offended by trump dodging the draft four or five times. but when he refused his duty some other person had to go in his place. you do understand this right?  22 plus vets take their own lives every single month. they cannot get proper treatment. many are homeless.  why are these issues which are real issues not more important to you than a black man taking a knee? most people look at things by priorities .............. except this lol. any person with any common decency would admit minorities have been frowned upon for any protests they choose. kap tried for years to save lives by bringing attention to the problems. they took his job from him and made fun of him and still do. now how many cops and protesters are dead? how many? all because you and others were more angry about the flag or natty than a mans life and did not give him a chance.

and why is kaps name the only one mentioned? a lot of white dudes took a knee and no one cares to mention them or try to get them to lose their job.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Until we do, those deaths were in vain.

You’ve said this before and I believe no death is in vain.  What a miserable thing to say. As for the *racist to be proud of America* statement, you do realize the whole thread is about Brees having to apologize twice for his statement regarding the National Anthem and how proud he was of his grandfathers?

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’ve changed my stance on this whole issue. I was a CK critic when the kneeling first took place. How dare he? I’m a veteran, and it makes me sick to disrespect our precious flag. But events since then have turned me into a supporter. We’ve heard it from conservatives a thousand times since the Floyd protests. “We support the protests, just keep it peaceful.” Hard to get more peaceful than kneeling quietly for a couple of minutes. And here is a question no one seems to ponder. Should a Sioux Indian, or a Cherokee, or an Apache revere our flag and all it stands for? A lot of us need to learn to look at issues from the lenses of others, and not just our own. 

Great grandmother was full blooded Comanche. Know what she passed down, heard stories from other Comanche been to reservations, sacred lands, museums, even Quanah Parker's home. We use to live near Ft. Sill. I have commented on here multiple times about the hypocrisy in which we address issues involving statues/symbols in regards to different ethnic groups.

What you have to remember is the Native Americans respect for their own warriors (this is especially true for the Comanche, who identify as warriors), which has always been in their culture.

As fierce debate rages about “taking a knee” during the national anthem to protest social injustice, Native Americans have a unique take on the issue as the ethnic group with the highest military-service rate, and an enduring regard for warriors.

Supporters of the movement say it’s not intended as a criticism of the military. But such a protest would be unthinkable for many at tribal events because the flag and veterans are so deeply intertwined - and revered.

“I’ll stand. I’ll do whatever I think is appropriate to honor them first, and then over there, I can debate about whether the country is living up to its side of the deal when it comes to treaty rights, water rights, social issues that affect a lot of the tribes,” said Erny Zah, a singer, powwow emcee and dancer from the Navajo Nation in the Southwest. “Very rarely do I hear anything that negates the veterans’ services, or the country’s disparagement of whatever social issues might be happening at the time.”

American Indians have served in the U.S. military at higher rates per capita than any other ethnic group despite a history of suffering at the hands of Europeans, and even in times when they were denied U.S. citizenship and the right to vote. Serving in the military and protecting one’s homeland is considered a continuation of warrior traditions.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2017/11/25/to-native-americans-honoring-flag-might-mean-a-different-anthem/

I will say with confidence that kneeling during the anthem to the Comanche is dishonoring a warrior.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

The two officers in Buffalo had 57 of their partners resign

This another part that will have to be addressed by this *defunding police* as they didn’t resign from the force, just resigned from the Emergency Response Team in solidarity.

The 57 officers resigned from the emergency unit but not from the force. The Buffalo mayor's office told CNN that the 57 members that resigned from the unit make up the entire active emergency response team.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/buffalo-police-suspension-shoving-man-trnd/index.html

This is a typical union response, I am sure.  The *defunding police* will take a lot of negotiations between unions and Mayors and will get nasty.  I am sure the time to do this is now, but implementing the plan will take a long time.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

The coverup and collusion has to change

You are talking about a cultural change here that has lasted for decades and they have been working on it for a while. The cops haven’t completely bought into it yet.  It takes time.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

You are right about the devil being in the details. Trust me when I say if my local area makes significant cuts in the police budget and it benefits the whole community, I will support it . If it doesn’t help the whole community or hurts cops, I won’t. Change is warranted and all of us will need to work together to make the right changes. 

You and I can try to analyze what changes will work or not, but the Mayors and unions to agree to any changes.  Bottom line is we don’t know what *defunding the police* really means and won’t until someone tries to sell it to us.  We don’t even know if it is a viable solution.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Most private companies don't require their employees to stand for the national anthem before they start for work.

You are amazingly good at missing the point.  There are other forms of protest other than kneeling for the National Anthem.

30 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

“I’ll stand. I’ll do whatever I think is appropriate to honor them first, and then over there, I can debate about whether the country is living up to its side of the deal when it comes to treaty rights, water rights, social issues that affect a lot of the tribes

This is some old school stuff right here.  Bravo for this type of thinking.

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

we will disagree then. you think those cops in training would except kap with open arms? most hate him because he gave the police a black eye and i believe a whole lot of regular cops had some choice stuff to say about kap. i just keep seeing excuses from people over kap who just wants justice and the murders of folks of color to stop.

And many hate the cops cause of beliefs they are all the same. The videos shows that. Kids telling a NFL player that supports Kap to FU because he is trying to help bridge the issues. They show where they are trying to work on resolutions and improvements with those community leaders. That stuff is going both ways. I mean Kap did say that cosmologist had more training them than to be fair.

Ali would of done it. Regardless of what the cops thought of him. I truly believe that.

Mine isn't an excuse. I see other NFL players trying to bridge this gap, understand both sides, and find a solution. I don't see Kap doing that stuff. I see him just building a marketing plan to line his own pocket.

But yes, we can agree to disagree on this and that is cool.

28 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

We don’t even know if it is a viable solution.

Agreed. What we hopefully agree on is that the model we have now is not working, for the police or citizens. 

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is some old school stuff right here.  Bravo for this type of thinking.

It is the culture. When we lived in Lawton/Ft Sill I was old enough to have to take Oklahoma History. My instructor was Comanche. That area is their tribal headquarters. Was fascinating to get the books version and the generation version of the states history. Comanche was used in the European theater of WW2. Think Choctaw was WW1, but Hitler actually pre war sent people to study and learn many Native American languages to try and break code if used again.

Obviously some here are still little salty about incidents like Little Big Horn 😘

As far as the kneeling goes I believe he could have made a bigger difference if he used the initial “shock” of kneeling for the anthem to get everyone’s attention then switch to a less controversial way of protest. I’m not saying I have a problem with how he did it based on our rights and out of principle. I know what he was trying to do, the problem is that there’s a large group that solely sees the action as dishonorable and you also have the group that hides within that group as a way to put their head in the sand. His message got muffled by the fact it started a side debate and not really the subject he was protesting for. Instead he “doubled down” on it and it got lost even more. The discussion mostly became about the flag. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's sad. Can't tell him anything otherwise though. If you disagree you don't accept facts.....these fasts that he just tell you....no data or evidence....just because he says so

The facts are out there for everyone to find on the internet for themselves. It isn’t just because I say so. It is hard to take you seriously when you deny the Civil War resulted in shaved being freed and when you say opportunity zones are made up. You lose all credibility when you deny those facts. Pick any fact I’ve posted and prove it wrong. You can’t because they aren’t wrong. You are a truth denier because it doesn’t fit your emotions. You must keep the discussion in an emotional level because the facts don’t fit the narrative. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

And lol at the empathy of who would want to become a police after the way they've been treated but an athlete that protested racism gave up his career and now he's a back up, doesn't mean anything and etc. 

You can't stop being black, they were enslaved for centuries built America no compensation, any talk of reparation makes everybody so angry, and it's not a choice you can't stop being black but there's no empathy for all the injustice or how we've been treated. In fact when asking about brutality from policemen the first thing you hear is well you kill each other fix that then we'll talk about you being killed by people sworn to protect....

False narrative again. The first thing is 99,9% of America is united against the bad cops. That is number one. But those cops have been charged and arrested. So if every black life matters what will save more blacks lives.....stopping police from unjustly killing a black persons or stopping blacks from having abortions or stopping blacks from being killed in Chicago and other inner cities? 

If I was protesting something that all people should agree is wrong, especially if the company couldn't be existence without the 95% make up of it's employees and I'm protesting for equality for that make up, ABSOLUTELY the company wouldn't have any problems with it whatsoever

To the bolded part; all people will never agree something is wrong even though you think they should.  To the rest; you just described the NFL, not the average citizen.

That athlete has signed a $1 million+ contract with Nike to promote their shoes and the cops (White, Black, Asian and Hispanic) work for far less, so there is a difference.

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

I have always appreciated the people that have sacrificed to provide me and my family with security.  Just the way I feel.  The athletes are entertainment and are secondary to safety and security.

34 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

It is the culture. When we lived in Lawton/Ft Sill I was old enough to have to take Oklahoma History. My instructor was Comanche. That area is their tribal headquarters. Was fascinating to get the books version and the generation version of the states history. Comanche was used in the European theater of WW2. Think Choctaw was WW1, but Hitler actually pre war sent people to study and learn many Native American languages to try and break code if used again.

Obviously some here are still little salty about incidents like Little Big Horn 😘

I just finished a book about the Comanches and it was as you say, in the culture. The book started with the taking of Cynthia Ann Parker in 1838 through the Quanah Parker’s death in 1911.  The culture was so different than what I had grown up with, with regard to warriors and leaders and how one elevated one’s status.  It was interesting how the horse played such an important role in the development of the Comanche as a powerful tribe.  A proud people.

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

The first thing is 99,9% of America is united against the bad cops

The issue is that about 50% of those people have very different perspectives what constitutes a bad cop, and excessive policing. And therein lies a big reason for this whole issue. 

Archived