All FBS schools cleared to start season in August

This is great news https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-clears-all-FBS-schools-to-start-season-as-early-as-August-149606776/Amp/#click=https://t.co/asTt6dEQtx

The NCAA issued a blanket waiver allowing all Football Bowl Subdivision Schools to begin playing the college football season as early as Aug. 29, a source tells 247Sports.

The season was previously scheduled to begin Sept. 5, with a handful of "Week 0" games slated for Aug. 29. The NCAA's Football Oversight Committee requested a blanket waiver for all FBS schools willing to move games on their schedule to Aug. 29 in an effort to play as many games as possible and provide the schools more flexibility in scheduling should issues arise with the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

Teams with games scheduled for Aug. 29 are allowed to begin preseason camp as early as Saturday.

The news comes on the heels of the NCAA granting Oklahoma and Missouri State a waiver to move its season opener from Sept. 5 to Aug. 29 in an effort to provide more flexibility in the schedule. The two teams will now play only three games in the first five weeks of the season, allowing for more time to isolate and quarantine players if needed during the pandemic. Theoretically, games late in the season could also be moved up to fill those two bye weeks in September if needed, too.

Scheduling news figures to be fast and furious over the next two weeks. The Pac-12 and Big Ten have already moved to conference-only schedules, but have yet to announce full schedules for the season. The ACC, Big 12 and SEC are working together to piece together schedules that may include at least one non-conference games for each of their schools, but individual schools in the Big 12 are moving forward as if a full, 12-game schedule will be played in the regular season. Oklahoma moved its season opener against Missouri State to earlier in the season and Iowa State has scheduled Ball State to replace rival Iowa on the schedule.

A Pac-12 schedule could arrive as soon as the end of this week, a source tells 247Sports. The SEC's presidents and chancellors are scheduled to meet virtually Thursday to discuss the football season and update commissioner Greg Sankey on virus-related issues on their respective campuses.

The ACC could make a decision on whether to pursue non-conference games or a conference-only schedule as early as Wednesday, an industry source said. The ACC is set to add Notre Dame as an honorary member of the conference for the 2020 season, though an official announcement has not yet been made.

The NCAA's Football Oversight Committee has won two battles in the last week as it seeks more time to make decisions and more leeway for schools to reschedule games currently on the schedule and schedule new games. The committee asked the NCAA's Board of Governors to delay a decision on whether to cancel or postpone 22 championship events, including Division I, II and III football. The NCAA delayed such a vote until at least Aug. 4. College football on the FBS level will not be directly affected by the decision as its postseason events (College Football Playoff and the bowl system) are not controlled by the NCAA. Still, the belief is a decision to cancel other fall championship events such as lower-division football could pressure the FBS to follow suit.

I'm not sure how I feel about this at this point. Seems like a decision driven by money. Major League baseball is already having some issues even with all the precautions they're taking. And who knows how the NBA and its bubble will turn out. All I can say is that I hope for players and coaches it all goes well.

Does this allow for a full stadium of fans? I am horrified at the possibility of having 80, 000 fans and having severe breakouts of the virus. Having gone through the virus first hand and surviving a mild case, I do not want to see anyone unnecessarily contracting this virus. I am one of the lucky ones albeit I still have some minor issues with it (sense of smell and taste have not yet fully return and having some headache issues as well); I can only imagine this virus eating up folks attending games.  Maybe a stadium without fans could be a possibility.  I would like to know how the issue of fans will be addressed.

Thanks & WDE!!

So this basically throws the entire heaping stinking pile back at the schools. There was an article today (not about football) about how problematic the situation is for universities. There is no safe way to have on-campus courses with students. No matter what precautions you take on campus, students are going to get The Rona in large numbers, because of town and social and living situations. Are you going to seal football players in a sterile box 24/7? But if you do not have students on campus, there is no football season by rules.

And will the SEC move in the direction of conference-only play? We already know that Auburn will not play UNC or Alcorn, maybe others. So the SEC now is faced with figuring out how to dump this load of tihs on the individual schools, absolving the SEC officials of any responsibility. Pass the buck-ism.

And then, there are individual players who decide to sit out the season to avoid intimate relations with Rona. How will teams deal with that preference by their players?

So now, NCAA has simply passed the buck. Some conferences have already cut their season to conference-only IF it happens at all. SEC is next up. All the "no mask" states get to decide.

Well, maybe not so fast. Here's NCAA president Mark Emmert yesterday saying that a delay "might make sense" and that "a move to a smaller number of games can be really helpful."

My takeaway? The situation remains fluid. Nothing at this point will surprise me.

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm really scared for the players.

I'm concerned about them also.....and their families, the coaches, the coaches families, all the support personnel.....the many people they all interact with on any given day.

When you throw the COVID 19 rock into a pond the ripples just keep on expanding until the entire pond is consumed. 

Has anyone heard anything about crowd size at the football games? Maybe I missed something, but a stadium full of fans is a sure recipe for Covid 19 to spread like wildfire over a field of dry hay. I am really concerned about this having been a Covid patient recently. I hope safety prevails.

Just curious...since the SEC is starting in late Sept., I wonder what effect if some of the other conferences have to cancel games because of a spike in the virus....would the SEC still try to play????

3 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Just curious...since the SEC is starting in late Sept., I wonder what effect if some of the other conferences have to cancel games because of a spike in the virus....would the SEC still try to play????

Dunno about other conferences but I listened to Sankey on Finebaum. If sh*t gets out of hand once school is in session, they will not hesitate to pull the plug on the season. The 10 game schedule is predicated on things going well.

11 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Dunno about other conferences but I listened to Sankey on Finebaum. If sh*t gets out of hand once school is in session, they will not hesitate to pull the plug on the season. The 10 game schedule is predicated on things going well.

rumors circulating on twitter is that health officials fear imminent spike once students begin returning to classes and dorms in august and september thus september 26 is set hoping whatever spikes occur will be easily corralled 

i agree though first time a whole class room of students and professors test positive bye bye football

The season may begin, but it won't end.  Playing football, although I will be partly broken without it, is not smart to go on.  This country had its chance to get things right and do what was necessary earlier.  This country chose poorly...and selfishly.

Money drives everything which is the only reason people are talking as if football can/will happen.  Too little too late unfortunately.  People chose to follow the wrong voices.

I predict two or three games to be played then the rest of the season is cancelled.

Archived