Poll: Where Do You Stand on Gus?

Zeek

How do you feel about Gus?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Gus as the Head Coach of Auburn football?

• Awesome, hope he's here for a long time to come
    • Good, he's our guy for now
    • Indifferent, he's not terrible but he's not great and I'm okay with that
    • Annoyed, it's not time to get rid of him yet we need to see more this season
    • Angry, he should be fired by the end of the season
    • Done, fire him tonight if possible
    • SPECIAL VOTE: Doesn't matter because you believe that we shouldn't get rid of him for external reasons (COVID, Buyout, No Better Options)

20 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

I'm wondering when more people will realize that the issue isn't play calling. You can't play call around your whole offense playing like crap.

Not saying that we've had zero losses due to play calling. 2016 Clemson, 16 A&M, and 17 LSU come to mind. But the majority of Gus's lost have come from the other team being a better team. He's trying to beat defenses stacked with NFL talent with offenses that simply are not stacked with NFL talent.

We talk about play calling extensively Every. Singe. Loss. And I don't understand why. It's not the problem most of the time, nor is the scheme we're running.

It all comes back to recruiting. Georgia had much better players than us. Especially in the trenches.

Nah. They're not as much better than us as Gus has made us look. We're not just losing to these teams. We're humiliating ourselves. With the same players that will annihilate an Arkansas or beat a bama like last year.

Our slightly inferior talent has received severely inferior coaching. (On offense.) And no, it's not just play calling. It's also players who have been woefully underprepared to run the plays called. It's not that they can't do it. It's that they don't even know their assignments. 

And play calling.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Deep balls on 3rd and short kill a lot of drives for Auburn. It's absolutely ridiculous.

That 3rd and 3, 5 wide set long fade against Georgia made me wonder if Chad was a bad decision.  I’d rather seen a run up the gut rather than that.  As far as your feelings about Gus calling and not calling plays he should have never stopped.  He should own it and love it.  Gus has fixed a lot of the problems he’s had in the past.  The problem is it takes him too long to listen.  Needed to fix the D.  Did that starting with Muschump.  Needed to bring in a new Oline coach.  Took him 4 years but he’s done that.  Give me a power run/ play action offense with a good Oline and I will dominate whatever Chad is running any day.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I would like to give it a full season to let Chad Morris and Jack Bicknell continue to coach and use their system.  Bicknell especially.  OL coaches need at least one year to be judged on their results, especially if they are working with guys the former coach brought in.

I'm tempted to agree, but I'm beginning to believe the reason Gus fires and hires assistants so often, is so we fans will give it a season or two to see how the new guy works out.

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

Sort of the last option's intent lol.

Still it seems Auburn could figure out the funding if they were really motivated to do so. Bet if fans quit going to the games and watching they would "find" the money real quick. Unfortunately, Auburn fans are nowhere near "fair weather".

The money is there if the right people want him gone. However I believe he’s safe because even if we have the money, it’s a bad look and perception with everything else going on financially with all of higher education. 

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

We just shouldn't be where we are in year eight. If we were in year three, I'd be much less frustrated. 

Every year is year one. There is zero system in place. We should recruit to the system, not recruit and adjust to the personnel. Doing so creates the same issue every year. We don't know what we have till gave 4 or more. Our team never has the same identity.

3 hours ago, cctiger said:

I don't think that it is as much a coaching issue this year as it is a talent issue. 

Except, the HC is in charge of that and Gus is pitiful at managing a roster.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We don't know what we have till gave 4 or more.

I have absolutely observed this to be true. I have believed the cause to be lack of physical fall practices so the team basically has to play itself into game condition. I suspect this is due to the fear of getting starters injured because of the lack of quality depth. So the root cause of this phenomenon is inadequate recruiting and player development. 

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:
4 hours ago, cctiger said:

Except, the HC is in charge of that and Gus is pitiful at managing a roster.

I was legit going to comment this but then I was like why waste the energy 

Don’t be surprised when this UGA team loses multiple games this year. The UGA team is talented but they are not as good as Auburn made them out to be last weekend.

For all you Gus bashers out there, guess who has the most wins against his lordship the might tNick Saban Malzahn. For all you experts out there  be careful what you wish for folks!!

WDE!!!!

4 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

For all you Gus bashers out there, guess who has the most wins against his lordship the mighty Nick Saban,Malzahn does all you experts out there  be careful what you wish for folks!!

WDE!!!!

6 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

For all you Gus bashers out there, guess who has the most wins against his lordship the might tNick Saban Malzahn. For all you experts out there  be careful what you wish for folks!!

WDE!!!!

Not really what I'd be hanging my hat on right now.

Gus Malzahn is now a combined 7-16 (30%) against Alabama, Georgia and LSU.

Gus Malzahn is 0-11 (0%) in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa.

40 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

WDE!!!!

Nick Saban lives in your mind , huh? 

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How many of those were competitive games? Were any that were competitive (that obviously ended up in a loss)leave you feeling like someone had stepped on your b***s? Asking for a friend.....

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not really what I'd be hanging my hat on right now.

Gus Malzahn is now a combined 7-16 (30%) against Alabama, Georgia and LSU.

Don’t forget his abysmal Bowl record. 

47 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Don’t forget his abysmal Bowl record. 

You mean the 2-5 record?

The 2-5 record with the two wins being the Birmingham Bowl and the Music City Bowl?

These 2 bowl wins were so insignificant in the geand scheme of each seaon that AU was still unranked in the final polls.

29 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

You mean the 2-5 record?

The 2-5 record with the two wins being the Birmingham Bowl and the Music City Bowl?

These 2 bowl wins were so insignificant in the geand scheme of each seaon that AU was still unranked in the final polls.

I couldn't have named those bowl games that we won with a gun to my head and all the time in the world 

52 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I couldn't have named those bowl games that we won with a gun to my head and all the time in the world 

I'm usually so disGUSted.. with the season that I rarely watch the bowl game.

Even if warranted, because we're Auburn, and it's only happened once previously and even then, under extraordinary circumstances, we won't remove a coach during the season.  

The apathy is real and we are at a point where, if things aren't corrected, we will descend to a level last seen during Barfield's final season.  It will take a historic hire, similar to Dye's, to bring us back to relevance.

57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Even if warranted, because we're Auburn, and it's only happened once previously and even then, under extraordinary circumstances, we won't remove a coach during the season.  

The apathy is real and we are at a point where, if things aren't corrected, we will descend to a level last seen during Barfield's final season.  It will take a historic hire, similar to Dye's, to bring us back to relevance.

I agree here.  Gus almost reminds me of Bill Battle at Tennessee.  Any Vol fan that lived through it would tell you that Battle's persona at UT set that program back 15 years.  I remember also that you could look at their lineman, and it was hard to distinguish whether they were linemen or linebackers.  It is definitely going to need to be an historic hire.

21 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

WDE!!!!

Phillip, is that you?  Because it sounds exactly like PMarshall's recent article wanting or fans to live eternally off the 3 wins vs Saban and totally ignore the 16 losses to our other rivals.

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Phillip, is that you?  Because it sounds exactly like PMarshall's recent article wanting or fans to live eternally off the 3 wins vs Saban and totally ignore the 16 losses to our other rivals.

I remember when we used to tell that joke about how bammers are like flies. Boy, those were the days. 

Archived