Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

@Brad_ATX I got stories about classes and labs with players, not gonna share details. But they happen and have created friendships that have lasted a long time.  

Oh I kept mine vague and nameless for a reason.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Timbeaux38 said:

How does one get a job without experience, if you cant get experience without a job?

I was referencing the issue the man had in his life and demons. Nothing to do with coaching experience. 

Here is an example: hotshot guy who is excelling at whatever his profession is smiles and puts up a front. But behind the scenes starts having severe problems at home or whatever. He has always been the the guy and never faced adversity like this and copes his way. Ie drinking. 

With the developments from last night and today, I think the next coach is: Napier, Kiffin, or Campbell (Iowa St). If I had to give a fourth I would lean towards Elliot OC from Clemson. Auburn loves hiring old coordinators as HC, so I am happy with any of these 4 choices (no prior Auburn gigs). I would have to go with Kiffin as my #1 choice b/c of the length of his SEC experience.

Sounds like may not be announced relatively soon based on Gogue's remarks ("no timetable"). This may be an unpopular opinion, but I am fine with the longer wait. Universities have recently shown that jumping the gun can cost you... (Tennessee & Nebraska)

7 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I had a friend on the Bama football team around 10 years ago. He wasn't anyone important. Just a walk on. I posted something about Saban being a jerk to Facebook. He replied, "dude, he isn't like that at all." So I private messaged him to find out more. I asked him questions like, Did he ever insult you even though you were giving your all? Answer: Yes. Did he ever threaten you? Answer: Oh yeah. I messed up on this one play, and he told me he was going to beat my ass if I did it again. Did he ever cut you down in front of everyone? Answer: Yes. But he did it, he did all these things to make me better. 

He abuses the crap out of his players, and they believe he's doing it for their benefit. 

No offense but this sounds like almost every high school football practice across America.

Just now, VegasEagle said:

200 pages ... so 250 or 300... any 350s out there?

I will take it, this is gonna be at least another week with Christmas around the corner

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Even if I let it go, Kiffin wouldn't last here. There are a lot more fans like me that would not accept a Kiffin hire. So, even if you think he's a good coach and the moral stuff doesn't matter to you, he's not the best option for the program. 

ok ok your right.   I forgot who I was talking to.   

14 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Meh...saban wouldn't have that attitude about a 3* that isnt doing anything for HIM. Saban loves anyone who is good for HIM. Just how he is.

Is that Speculation? I think the spirit of the man is in the message. 

This topic has been derailed over the last few pages, and that was not my intent. I'll just leave it at this. I think Kiffin is scum, and I don't think he should be the head of the program. Like it or not, there are many many many others that share this opinion that just don't come on message boards. I can tell for many of you, morality of the coach doesn't account for squat. It matters to me. That's my opinion on the subject. It is a true opinion, and since it is a true opinion based on my values, there are no facts that could change that opinion.  

I'll promise to stop talking about Kiffin and won't respond to any more posts about him, and let's just get back to talking about coaching hire options. 

4 minutes ago, bodagetta said:

With the developments from last night and today, I think the next coach is: Napier, Kiffin, or Campbell (Iowa St). If I had to give a fourth I would lean towards Elliot OC from Clemson. Auburn loves hiring old coordinators as HC, so I am happy with any of these 4 choices (no prior Auburn gigs). I would have to go with Kiffin as my #1 choice b/c of the length of his SEC experience.

Sounds like may not be announced relatively soon based on Gogue's remarks ("no timetable"). This may be an unpopular opinion, but I am fine with the longer wait. Universities have recently shown that jumping the gun can cost you... (Tennessee & Nebraska)

I like that list.

5 minutes ago, bodagetta said:

With the developments from last night and today, I think the next coach is: Napier, Kiffin, or Campbell (Iowa St).

I'll have what you're having. Campbell would make me ecstatic (bet you anything Michigan goes after him when Harbaugh is out if no one else does, they would be fools not to), Kiffin would make me happy, Napier would make me content.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

No offense but this sounds like almost every high school football practice across America.

Exactly! Abuses the heck out of his players??! I think those young men can survive a good tongue lashing. Good grief.

34 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Nick Saban- Bends the rules; Acts like a child on the sidelines; Belittles his players; Tries to get things that he can't scheme for banned (e.g., hurry up no huddle offenses)

Kirby Smart- " " " " "

Lane Kiffin- Lost the team at USC because he was a cocky jackass; throws a fit at the refs and in press conferences when he doesn't get his way; Trolls people on twitter; I'm also disgusted by what he did to Tennessee. 

Urban Meyer- Only makes moves that are in his interest sometimes at the expense of players; Faked an illness to resign from Florida after having 1 year not go his way; Was partially responsible for the Cam Newton situation blowing up

Dan Mullen- Also partially responsible for Cam Newton situation; Lies in press conferences; Encourages players to fight

Jim Harbaugh- Throws temper tantrums when he loses; Bends the rules

Need I go on? These kinds of coaches can never ben the head coach of Auburn. EVER. 

Lmao your list includes the best college coach of all time, 2 who have pushed their teams over the hump into perennial playoff contenders, 2 have multiple nattys with different schools, natty OCs, all have fire and recruit well.......

Thank you for proving why your kinds mentality will keep auburn forever as a middle of the road team. 

I think I've talked myself into Napier

billynapier2.jpg

He's in good shape which I like. I know it doesn't matter but I like it. Plus he doesn't wear a lame sweater best and looks like a boss.

5a3832b3b4e41.image.jpg

His wife isn't as good as Cristobal's but she ain't bad. There kids are young and adorable too. If he stays long it would be neat.

Screenshot_20201217-171630_Chrome.jpg

LOOK AT THAT SALARY. We might could pay this dude $3 million for 4 years lol

Only loss this year came to Coastal Carolina which was close (and I think they play again tonight). 

His offense isn't high scoring but the dude can coach. He's also been at Clemson and Alabama (twice I think) and now in Louisiana. His recruiting network has to be wide. 

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Lmao your list includes the best college coach of all time, 2 who have pushed their teams over the hump into perennial playoff contenders, 2 have multiple nattys with different schools, natty OCs, all have fire and recruit well.......

Thank you for proving why your kinds mentality will keep auburn forever as a middle of the road team. 

Well, I feel like there's some doubt about Harbaugh now...

Just now, Zeek said:

I think I've talked myself into Napier

billynapier2.jpg

He's in good shape which I like. I know it doesn't matter but I like it. Plus he doesn't wear a lame sweater best and looks like a boss.

5a3832b3b4e41.image.jpg

His wife isn't as good as Cristobal's but she ain't bad. There kids are young and adorable too. If he stays long it would be neat.

Screenshot_20201217-171630_Chrome.jpg

LOOK AT THAT SALARY. We might could pay this dude $3 million for 4 years lol

Only loss this year came to Coastal Carolina which was close (and I think they play again tonight). 

His offense isn't high scoring but the dude can coach. He's also been at Clemson and Alabama (twice I think) and now in Louisiana. His recruiting network has to be wide. 

Napier Now

41 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And they get help with passing classes.  Two personal examples without naming names that I experienced first hand:

1) World history class, sophomore year.  We had a five question quiz every Wednesday.  Professor gave the same quiz the hour before and showed the correct answers after turn in.  It got to a point where some of us knew to sit by football players in the middle of the room.  Right before the quiz, one of the guys who whisper something like B, A, B, C, D.  Coincidentally, those were the correct answers.

2) I had a football player call me up once.  We had a previous relationship from high school and had a class together.  Dude said "Hey man, I got my girl here and she's gonna write my paper.  Can you explain the assignment to her?"

Some of y'all live in the clouds if you think money and extra help doesn't happen.

I watched a baseball donor pass a s***ty catcher over 500 at the hotel for the SEC tourney. 

Let's get off the alcoholism stigma with Sark. Personally I think it's irrelevant. What part did alcoholism play when he was "Seven-win Sark" at Washington? Probably little, but for the sake of argument let's say he was indeed blitz'd for the entirety of his head coaching career. What indication is there to affirm that he'd be an elite head coach if sober? There is none. In this scenario Sober Sark is a relative unknown.

So all we have to go on is that maybe a sober and reformed Sarkesian would make a great head coach based on his high-powered offenses at USC and Alabama. That's making the same mistake as was made when we hired Malzahn. Again I have to stress it, but a head coach has to be more that just an offensive or defensive mind. So what if Sarkesian or Kiffen comes in and revolutionizes the Auburn offense if we're still losing 4-5 games a season because the locker room has no cohesion, the staff has no cohesion, and team looks lost?

Kirby Smart is successful at Georgia where many others have not because he studied under Saban for nine years before taking the Georgia job (also because Georgia is crooked enough to follow the Nick Saban/Alabama playbook). Expecting the same kind of results out of the typical Saban rehab-ee is a detrimental proposition. Let Sark go elsewhere and rebuild his credit and let Kiffen stay at Ole Miss and prove he can run a program and let us go out and find someone with vision and leadership and salesmanship.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Napier Now

My god. If we couldn't get Napier, we got problems deeper than we even realized.

We could almost triple his current salary and it would still be just a little over a third of what we were paying.

Archived