Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Let's get off the alcoholism stigma with Sark. Personally I think it's irrelevant. What part did alcoholism play when he was "Seven-win Sark" at Washington? Probably little, but for the sake of argument let's say he was indeed blitz'd for the entirety of his head coaching career. What indication is there to affirm that he'd be an elite head coach if sober? There is none. In this scenario Sober Sark is a relative unknown.

So all we have to go on is that maybe a sober and reformed Sarkesian would make a great head coach based on his high-powered offenses at USC and Alabama. That's making the same mistake as was made when we hired Malzahn. Again I have to stress it, but a head coach has to be more that just an offensive or defensive mind. So what if Sarkesian or Kiffen comes in and revolutionizes the Auburn offense if we're still losing 4-5 games a season because the locker room has no cohesion, the staff has no cohesion, and team looks lost?

Kirby Smart is successful at Georgia where many others have not because he studied under Saban for nine years before taking the Georgia job (also because Georgia is crooked enough to follow the Nick Saban/Alabama playbook). Expecting the same kind of results out of the typical Saban rehab-ee is a detrimental proposition. Let Sark go elsewhere and rebuild his credit and let Kiffen stay at Ole Miss and prove he can run a program and let us go out and find someone with vision and leadership and salesmanship.

More delusion to think that saban and co are dirty cheating crooks yet we somehow aren't. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Napier Now

Get that trending? Lol #NapierNow

10 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Amazing how ole Jimmy is the only one not fielding a top 10 team atm. Well him and urban. 

Kiffin isn't to be fair but he's already equaled OM's win total from a year ago playing only conference games. And in one of those losses he went toe to toe with the BEST TEEM EVAR for three and a half quarters.

Granted two of those wins were from teams that were added (KY and SC), though all their OOC games were pretty easy (toughest would've been Baylor).

Still not as good a job as Pittman did. All of Arky's wins were over teams they were going to play anyway, and they also had three cupcakes. They would've almost certainly gone 6-6, with two losses being skin of the teeth.

Just now, AUwent said:

Kiffin isn't to be fair but he's already equaled OM's win total from a year ago playing only conference games.

You're correct, forgot Johnny freshwater. I've brought dishonor upon my family. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Get that trending? Lol #NapierNow

I just read the CBS article because apparently I love to despair where it talked about Bobo and Charles Kelly as coordinators for CKS. Gross 

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

How is Luke Fickell not an option? Smh

fwiw, I’d love Napier over most of the names mentioned

Fickell is an option, just not a likely one. He’s never coached in the southeast, and has spent his entire career in the state of Ohio. Not sure he’d be interested in coming here.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Fickell is an option, just not a likely one. He’s never coached in the southeast, and has spent his entire career in the state of Ohio. Not sure he’d be interested in coming here.

I don’t think geography matters too much tbh but maybe it does for him

Also, just a context thing for Napier and Campbell. If it sounds like we are going to be hiring a coach Saturday night or Sunday morning, it is probably one of those 2 choices. They both have conference champ games Saturday, but also neither should have any legitimate chance of making the CFP. Not many coaches sticking around for a bowl game, even if it is a big one. 

13 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Let's get off the alcoholism stigma with Sark. Personally I think it's irrelevant. What part did alcoholism play when he was "Seven-win Sark" at Washington? Probably little, but for the sake of argument let's say he was indeed blitz'd for the entirety of his head coaching career. What indication is there to affirm that he'd be an elite head coach if sober? There is none. In this scenario Sober Sark is a relative unknown.

So all we have to go on is that maybe a sober and reformed Sarkesian would make a great head coach based on his high-powered offenses at USC and Alabama. That's making the same mistake as was made when we hired Malzahn. Again I have to stress it, but a head coach has to be more that just an offensive or defensive mind. So what if Sarkesian or Kiffen comes in and revolutionizes the Auburn offense if we're still losing 4-5 games a season because the locker room has no cohesion, the staff has no cohesion, and team looks lost?

Kirby Smart is successful at Georgia where many others have not because he studied under Saban for nine years before taking the Georgia job (also because Georgia is crooked enough to follow the Nick Saban/Alabama playbook). Expecting the same kind of results out of the typical Saban rehab-ee is a detrimental proposition. Let Sark go elsewhere and rebuild his credit and let Kiffen stay at Ole Miss and prove he can run a program and let us go out and find someone with vision and leadership and salesmanship.

Well, details do matter and Sark took over a dumpster fire of a program at Washington. They were 1-10, 2-9, 5-7, 4-9, and 0-12 in the years prior to him taking over. If getting them to a winning record and a bowl victory in his second season doesn’t show you what’s he’s capable of then nothing will.

22 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

You're correct, forgot Johnny freshwater. I've brought dishonor upon my family. 

It’s Joey freshwater you blasphemer! 

30 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Let Sark go elsewhere and rebuild his credit and let Kiffen stay at Ole Miss and prove he can run a program and let us go out and find someone with vision and leadership and salesmanship.

👆

22 minutes ago, woodford said:

I don’t think geography matters too much tbh but maybe it does for him

It could affect recruiting. A lot of recruiting is connections, particularly with HS coaches. So, trying to be a head coach in a place he hasn’t coached before may disadvantage him. 

But I was more thinking about the latter. The fact that he’s never left Ohio as a player or a coach (except for 1 year with the Saints as a player) says to me that he probably wants to stay in the midwest. 

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just read the CBS article because apparently I love to despair where it talked about Bobo and Charles Kelly as coordinators for CKS. Gross 

Bro I never really saw Steele's DC resume

"Steele was Nick Saban's first defensive coordinator at Alabama. After three seasons at Clemson, he was either fired or left on his own in 2012. (There are differing versions how his departure came about.) In 2015, Steele was Les Miles' defensive coordinator for one season. That year, LSU dropped from first to fifth in SEC total defense (ninth to 25th nationally).

Since 2016, Auburn's defenses have never finished above fifth in the SEC. Statistically, this season the unit was the worst under Steele, allowing 401 yards per game. However, he was part of two wins over Alabama in 2017 and 2019."

Guys I'm not so sure he's even that good of a DC lmao.

Archived