Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

12 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Cam was a kid who made a dumb mistake.

Sark was a grown ass man that showed up at a public event as the Head football coach at the University of Southern California, drunk.

Not condoning the behavior of either, but they are definitely 2 different deals.

Can you put an age on judging people. The man may had some demons. I have known people who crushed everything thing they did and were hot shots but when they finally hit adversity in their life they became human again. Just my 2 cents. I can’t put an age on 2nd chances. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, I hate to break this to you, but all big time football and basketball programs cheat to some degree.  No one is squeaky clean.

As some said a couple of days ago: “ Gus was cleaner than the big time programs but he was in no way squeaky clean”

5 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Football may not be the sport you should follow. You may enjoy Upward Basketball more.... far less unsavory types coaching in those ranks.

As someone who played Upward back in the 90s....

200.gif

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Jboy still saying Auburn is in it for MC. I’m just the messenger 

Y’all gotta stop taking everything this dude says as concrete 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, I hate to break this to you, but all big time football and basketball programs cheat to some degree.  No one is squeaky clean.

Honestly, reading that list, I can't help but think he's joking. If a coach doesn't get a little crazy on the sidelines, it looks to me like he just doesn't care. Even Gus got a bit animated at times. And from all accounts, Chizik lost the locker room bc he was arrogant. Per this list, I'm thinking Friction is trying to make a case for himself to be coach, bc he's the only one out there perfect enough to do it 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well, then at least we shouldn't hire the least moral folks out there. 

10 minutes ago, chizhead said:

People like that that have their nose stuck in the air and condemn others are called "self-righteous hypocrites" and like to throw stones. They are so much better than everyone else...Just ask them

Yep! Throw rocks from inside a glass house and act surprised when it comes crashing down around them. 

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

So having a coach that cheats, bends the rules, behaves poorly, doesn't give a crap about their players, etc. is good for Auburn?

You make those issues sound like an extreme or nothing.    Cheating is one thing,  but I could give a rats a$$ about behavior or over caring about the players.   No coach "doesn't care about their players".    Even Saban does to some extent.   The coach is paid to win games,  not to coddle  fans and players.   Yes, it would be nice to have a great coach that is personal with the players, has no baggage, has a perfect record, recruits extremely well, goes to church everyday,    gives to the poor,   helps old ladies across the street,  has a ton of school spirit is a great gameday coach, doesn't drink, is open with the fans and press.  etc.   but there is no such thing.   

Every coach has a weak spot or two or 3.   

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yep, even an innocent Squints cheated to steal a kiss from Wendy Pefforcorn.  And he got what everyone wanted.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Confused

I don’t think he would’ve gotten in zero trouble but it definitely didn’t help his case 

Just now, Jaba4ever said:

Honestly, reading that list, I can't help but think he's joking. If a coach doesn't get a little crazy on the sidelines, it looks to me like he just doesn't care. Even Gus got a bit animated at times. And from accounts, Chizik lost the locker room bc he was arrogant. Per this list, I'm thinking Friction is trying to make a case for himself to be coach, bc he's the only one out there perfect enough to do it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Heck no. I have way to bad of a temper, and I'm a perfectionist. I criticized Saban above because I don't think he gives off the right image for Auburn. But, if I were a coach, he's the one I'd be closest to personality wise. Then again, I have a legitimate personality disorder, and the things I have in common with Saban are the traits I don't like. 

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

You make those issues sound like an extreme or nothing.    Cheating is one thing,  but I could give a rats a$$ about behavior or over caring about the players.   No coach "doesn't care about their players".    Even Saban does to some extent.   The coach is paid to win games,  not to coddle  fans and players.   Yes, it would be nice to have a great coach that is personal with the players, has no baggage, has a perfect record, recruits extremely well, goes to church everyday,    gives to the poor,   helps old ladies across the street,  has a ton of school spirit is a great gameday coach, doesn't drink, is open with the fans and press.  etc.   but there is no such thing.   

Go read the players' tweets after Gus was fired. There are plenty of coaches that don't care about their players. Saban is one of them. Saban cares about Saban's image and winning. His players are just a means to that. 

https://oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/gogue-no-timeline-on-coaching-search-funds-for-malzahn-s-buyout-in-place/article_49188478-40ba-11eb-9fa8-db33c3fd2153.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

I'll save you some reading:

1. No timetable

2. We won't fight Gus to lessen the buyout we'll pay him in full

3. Buyout paid in a way that won't cost students or taxpayers (duh)

4. The Firm we hired is just to help make a list and make contact with coaches and agents.

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

People should listen to Saban's former players more often.  They LOVE the man.  Our perception of him isn't anywhere close to reality.

At this point I just want a culture change coach. We have had the ho hum robot Gustav for the past 8 years. I want a Pat Dye coach who can come in and be aggressive, not afraid, and make our guys tough as nails. Thought MC would do that. Maybe one of the aforementioned choices can do that but we'll see. To me this is a breaking point for Auburn football. Screw this one up and we sink even deeper down the SEC depth chart and it'll take years to get out of with the other big boys continuing to get richer and richer. 

Just now, AUFriction said:

Go read the players' tweets after Gus was fired. There are plenty of coaches that don't care about their players. Saban is one of them. Saban cares about Saban's image and winning. His players are just a means to that. 

See post above.  Saban's former players love him dude.  You're projecting something that you want to be true but simply isn't.

12 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Cam was a kid who made a dumb mistake.

Sark was a grown ass man that showed up at a public event as the Head football coach at the University of Southern California, drunk.

Not condoning the behavior of either, but they are definitely 2 different deals.

Cam was disciplined by Florida and learned his lesson early.  Aaron Hernandez was not disciplined and never learned the lesson until it was too late.

Sark fits in the latter and is getting his life back together.  Sometimes lessons are learned late in life, but still learned.  I’m not saying Sark should be our next coach, but he shouldn’t be cancelled because he is a recovering alcoholic. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

People should listen to Saban's former players more often.  They LOVE the man.  Our perception of him isn't anywhere close to reality.

Helps when a coach can develop you and make you NFL ready. 

Just now, AUFriction said:

I have.  How many games did that help gus win?  

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I have.  How many games did that help gus win?  

It isn't all about winning. What's the point of winning if you have to show no class doing it?

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

See post above.  Saban's former players love him dude.  You're projecting something that you want to be true but simply isn't.

"Stockholm syndrome is a psychological response. It occurs when hostages or abuse victims bond with their captors or abusers. This psychological connection develops over the course of the days, weeks, months, or even years of captivity or abuse."

29 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

You don’t get rid of a coach and agree to pay $20 million without having a great replacement lined up through the back channels that you are confident is coming on board. 

apparently, you do.

2 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Helps when a coach can develop you and make you NFL ready. 

Sure.  But they also speak to so many other things about him, including his sense of humor.  Old article, but an example.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2015/12/alabama_players_think_nick_sab.html

Archived