Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

It’s amazing that the powers that be haven’t put Clay Helton on their list considering his Auburn ties. Seems to be a requirement at Auburn. Drives me nuts. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To all the members on here that know what coaches are look at as being top shelf, in the coaching circles, how is Dell McGee?   Is he capable of running a team?  Could he be a Dabo? Not sure if he has that personality or not but what is the opinion on him?

23 minutes ago, dilligas said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this earlier but someone confirmed with the flight tracker the university plans was in New Orleans...

Just now, TigerTaz said:

It’s amazing that the powers that be haven’t put Clay Helton on their list considering his Auburn ties. Seems to be a requirement at Auburn. Drives me nuts. 

Technically Tubs didn't have any Auburn connections.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this earlier but someone confirmed with the flight tracker the university plans was in New Orleans...

Like someone said earlier Lafayette has their own airport lol so more than likely it had nothing to do with athletics 

4 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Can you imagine Lane as head coach and Muschamp as DC?? Talk about bringing excitement back to the program lol 

Steal baby Briles as OC

52 minutes ago, gr82be said:

After catching up on things after work today I think that I am more upset with Gus than even before. All he had to do was be willing to adapt his offense. Was that too much to ask? 

I already know the answer...

I’m not sure that was all. Gus needed to be a better recruiter and hire more great recruiters rather than safe but inexperienced coaches. 

2 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Neither did Pat Dye for that matter.

I wonder if there was concern he'd bolt to UGA or UAT when Dooley or Bryant retired. ;)

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m not sure that was all. Gus needed to be a better recruiter and hire more great recruiters rather than safe but inexperienced coaches. 

It definitely was not all of it.

59 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Seriously, looking at those stats he actively makes defenses worse each year. I'm starting to think there's some creedance to the "riding off Muschamp" thing. Damn, how good of a DC is Muschamp? 

much,much better than Steele

1 hour ago, VegasEagle said:

Is there not any NFL OC/DC that are possible hires?

The “NFL to College” and vice versa don’t usually work out well. Lovie Smith, Bill O’Brien, Herm Edwards,  Jim Harbaugh to name a few. 

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The “NFL to College” and vice versa don’t usually work out well. Lovie Smith, Bill O’Brien, Herm Edwards,  Jim Harbaugh to name a few. 

Harbaugh actually did well college to NFL-wise. NFL to college, well, Spurrier was probably USCe's best coach ever, and then there's that guy who was coaching the Dolphins for a couple years.

18 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Can you imagine Lane as head coach and Muschamp as DC?? Talk about bringing excitement back to the program lol 

My god what a dysfunctional sideline that would be. 

Don't shoot me.....just asking.......what about Kiffen as HC, Baby Briles as OC and Derek Mason as DC?

26 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yeah. I confirmed the NO flight. 

30 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Definitely sounds like there has been conversation

4 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

To be fair to leach, he is always terrible in years one then always improves. Teaching people how to run that O takes more than a few fall preseason practices. 

its 8 plays 

this discussion is probably going to wind to a point where I make the case...it's just a passing version of the Gus offense. and like that offense...it always gets figured out, bc you can't just do the same thing YoY. He averaged like 14 rushing carries a game this season. That's not going to win in this conference, the same way it didn't win in any other conference

also can't recruit guys that could maybe make that system just overpower the other team, like Gus (sparingly) did initially. 

10 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Don't shoot me.....just asking.......what about Kiffen as HC, Baby Briles as OC and Derek Mason as DC?

I mean that would be nice but sounds like a pipedream

Archived