Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I don't get this.    Most schools have someone in mind  but rarely "lined up" before a firing.   Hell, Arkansas took weeks  with their search.   I can't think of many schools that have had their man all locked up before firing a HC.

Texas A&M did. They owed Kevin Sumlin $30 million, and those who were paying it were smart enough to know their guy Fisher was locked in before incurring it. 

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I don't get this.    Most schools have someone in mind  but rarely "lined up" before a firing.   Hell, Arkansas took weeks  with their search.   I can't think of many schools that have had their man all locked up before firing a HC.

Yes and their fans hated it. That is a big reason they got Chad Morris the first time. The second time they had no choice but to be patient because the program was in shambles. 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Honest question:

What's the difference between giving Cam Newton a second chance and Steve Sarkisian one?

Cam stole a laptop and was kicked out of Florida.  Not a whole lot of difference there.

Cam was a kid who made a dumb mistake.

Sark was a grown ass man that showed up at a public event as the Head football coach at the University of Southern California, drunk.

Not condoning the behavior of either, but they are definitely 2 different deals.

Just now, Bo Didley said:

Having morals means being against the thoughts of a man changing? Morals so grounded that people going through a bad part of their lives can’t recover? 

People like that that have their nose stuck in the air and condemn others are called "self-righteous hypocrites" and like to throw stones. They are so much better than everyone else...Just ask them

2 minutes ago, provibe said:

I like this list! I could support all of these including Bill Clark

All would be massively better than Steele lol

Just because Sark dealt with alcohol problems at USC does not mean he should not be hired for Auburn. It seems like he has really taken ownership of his mistakes and cleaned himself up. As long as he has truly turned it around and has a system around him that will support and encourage him to stay healthy, then I think he should be looked at. If the stress of a head coaching position will cause him to fall out of sobriety, then we shouldn't hire him for his sake and for Auburn's.

13 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Just because others have a bad image of us doesn't mean we should embrace that bad image. If anything, we should be trying to change that image. 

Seriously leVe the moralizing for who we hire as campus Chaplin. Could we just hire the coach that is best at coaching without getting all sanctimonious 

Just now, AUGunsmith said:

I'd love to hear to whom you're referring. 

Nick Saban- Bends the rules; Acts like a child on the sidelines; Belittles his players; Tries to get things that he can't scheme for banned (e.g., hurry up no huddle offenses)

Kirby Smart- " " " " "

Lane Kiffin- Lost the team at USC because he was a cocky jackass; throws a fit at the refs and in press conferences when he doesn't get his way; Trolls people on twitter; I'm also disgusted by what he did to Tennessee. 

Urban Meyer- Only makes moves that are in his interest sometimes at the expense of players; Faked an illness to resign from Florida after having 1 year not go his way; Was partially responsible for the Cam Newton situation blowing up

Dan Mullen- Also partially responsible for Cam Newton situation; Lies in press conferences; Encourages players to fight

Jim Harbaugh- Throws temper tantrums when he loses; Bends the rules

Need I go on? These kinds of coaches can never ben the head coach of Auburn. EVER. 

5 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Dude, it was obviously a tongue in cheek joke. 

However, after working with both football and baseball in the early 2010s, players get paid. Even s***ty ones. 

And they get help with passing classes.  Two personal examples without naming names that I experienced first hand:

1) World history class, sophomore year.  We had a five question quiz every Wednesday.  Professor gave the same quiz the hour before and showed the correct answers after turn in.  It got to a point where some of us knew to sit by football players in the middle of the room.  Right before the quiz, one of the guys who whisper something like B, A, B, C, D.  Coincidentally, those were the correct answers.

2) I had a football player call me up once.  We had a previous relationship from high school and had a class together.  Dude said "Hey man, I got my girl here and she's gonna write my paper.  Can you explain the assignment to her?"

Some of y'all live in the clouds if you think money and extra help doesn't happen.

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

I just go back to who We Should have interviewed from the beginning. Napier or Elliot.

32 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

My list in no particular order:

Napier, Sark, Lane, Elliot, Campbell. If we can’t get Cristobal I think these are our best and realistic options. I’d prefer Sark, Lane, or Campbell who’ve coached at power 5 jobs before and can recruit good. Napier and Elliot for the pedigree and ability to recruit. Just my two cents. 

If we have Campbell on that list, might as well throw Venables on that list too. But of your list, I would rank on :

#1--Campbell (if Brady didn't want to stay in the NFL I would put him #2)

#2--Kiffen (Fickell would roughly a tie here)

#3--Napier (Venables would roughly be a tie here)

#4--Sarkeesian

#5--Elliot

Napier, Sarkeesian, and Elliot are the three most realistic IMO besides people like Steele, Lindsey, and Lashlee 🤮.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Sark, Kiffin or Freeze would all breathe life into this stagnant offense we've had for the past several years.

The brass has all but came out and eliminated the thought of freeze 

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Nick Saban- Bends the rules; Acts like a child on the sidelines; Belittles his players; Tries to get things that he can't scheme for banned (e.g., hurry up no huddle offenses)

Kirby Smart- " " " " "

Lane Kiffin- Lost the team at USC because he was a cocky jackass; throws a fit at the refs and in press conferences when he doesn't get his way; Trolls people on twitter; I'm also disgusted by what he did to Tennessee. 

Urban Meyer- Only makes moves that are in his interest sometimes at the expense of players; Faked an illness to resign from Florida after having 1 year not go his way; Was partially responsible for the Cam Newton situation blowing up

Dan Mullen- Also partially responsible for Cam Newton situation; Lies in press conferences; Encourages players to fight

Need I go on? These kinds of coaches can never ben the head coach of Auburn. EVER. 

Football may not be the sport you should follow. You may enjoy Upward Basketball more.... far less unsavory types coaching in those ranks.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Honest question:

What's the difference between giving Cam Newton a second chance and Steve Sarkisian one?

Cam stole a laptop and was kicked out of Florida.  Not a whole lot of difference there.

I would counter this with age.   Everyone does stupid $$it when they are young.   As an adult, if you have a problem there are numerous ways of going to your employer and ask for help 

6 minutes ago, Butthead said:

for the record, cam bought a stolen laptop.  i wonder how many of us have bought something stolen and looked the other way?

Guilty. I bought a jeep top from a small, sketchy auto shop in a Detroit neighborhood that was mostly abandoned. Something felt off, but I was just in such a hurry to get out of the neighborhood that I really didn't think it through until after I left. 

Three years later, I found out what I had been suspicious of after I'd left the place. That was a chop shop run by a gang. 

What got Cam in trouble is that, when the cops were coming to question him, he threw the laptop out of his window. If he'd just turned it in and said he didn't know it was stolen, he would've gotten in no trouble at all. 

Screenshot_20201217-165157_Chrome.jpg

I need someone to post more I'm feeling guilty posting this much lol

Surprised day 1 had the most posts 

Just now, AUFriction said:

If he'd just turned it in and said he didn't know it was stolen, he would've gotten in no trouble at all

Hilarious 

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Jboy still saying Auburn is in it for MC. I’m just the messenger 

Oregon coach Mario Cristobal agrees to contract extension to stay with the Ducks through 2025

5 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Cam was a kid who made a dumb mistake.

Sark was a grown ass man that showed up at a public event as the Head football coach at the University of Southern California, drunk.

Not condoning the behavior of either, but they are definitely 2 different deals.

Fair, but in the eyes of our law, they are both adults.  Only one of them got charged with a crime.  It wasn't Sark.

My point being, I'm not against second chances.  People grow and learn from mistakes.  Cam is a great example of that.  If Sark is the right fit, bring him in.

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Kirby Smart- " " " " "

Dude, I hate to break this to you, but all big time football and basketball programs cheat to some degree.  No one is squeaky clean.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Fair, but in the eyes of our law, they are both adults.  Only one of them got charged with a crime.  It wasn't Sark.

My point being, I'm not against second chances.  People grow and learn from mistakes.  Cam is a great example of that.  If Sark is the right fit, bring him in.

Same with Freeze honestly. I would be willing to bet he'll never have a scandal again. He knows he can't afford it.

Archived