We missed our shot

DivisionN

12 minutes ago, CR said:

Im both relieved its not Steele or Clark and disappointed not to land Cristobal or Napier.

Harsin is at least as good as Napier. Possibly better. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, DivisionN said:

Whoever hires Hugh Freeze or snags Kiffin away from Ole Piss is going to do very well. We will be fighting from behind and wondering why we did not do the obvious thing and hire one of these guys. 

What a candy a**...

6 hours ago, TeganInbama said:

We needed a recruiting advantage/bump with this hire.

This ain't it.

I'll get behind coach - but I get 24 hrs to be disappoint and rage 

Pretty much where I am as well. Right now, just can’t see this guy recruiting with the big boys. Sure hope I am wrong. One of the main reasons we paid Gus $21 million to leave was because we needed a recruiting bump.

I think a lot of us were wanting a Bruce Pearl type hire. This guy isn’t it. We will see how it works out.

Just now, AU-24 said:

One of the main reasons we paid Gus $21 million to leave was because we needed a recruiting bump

I think consistently losing 4 games a year and being like 0-18 against our rivals away from JHS was more important. Just spitballing here though.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I think consistently losing 4 games a year and being like 0-18 against our rivals away from JHS was more important. Just spitballing here though.

Right ? Recruiting is important but people have been running with this narrative like crazy. You still have to win the games . Texas A&M has been recruiting at a high level since sumlin and they just got to a point where they finally put it together 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Right ? Recruiting is important but people have been running with this narrative like crazy. You still have to win the games . Texas A&M has been recruiting at a high level since sumlin and they just got to a point where they finally put it together 

There’s legit 5 posters on this site who just miserable 24/7. It’s sad

39 minutes ago, TigerTaz said:

Harsin is at least as good as Napier. Possibly better. 

Hopefully thats the case. Im not anti-Harsin Im just unsure if this works. But all coaching hires are uncertain for that matter.

48 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Not to mention,  lack of player development. Good grief folks are ignorant lol.

He always recruited the #1 class in the MWC. BSU was consistently in the top of the G5 recruiting rankings. Yeah, that doesn't mean much as to what the future holds here in comparison to our rivals, but its all we have to go on at the moment.

I know this may open up more doors out west, which is full of talent. We'll still get our Auburn guys. We'll see if he can get down in the trenches and pull a few players from our rivals. If he can great, if not, it's not the end all be all.  If Gus can land top 10 classes here, I fully believe any coach who cares can land top 10 classes. I am more concerned with class balance and player development. Also, landing players that fit our new system.

This is way to early to tell or predict doom on. Let it play out.

6 minutes ago, AuburnMike86 said:

He always recruited the #1 class in the MWC. BSU was consistently in the top of the G5 recruiting rankings. Yeah, that doesn't mean much as to what the future holds here in comparison to our rivals, but its all we have to go on at the moment.

I know this may open up more doors out west, which is full of talent. We'll still get our Auburn guys. We'll see if he can get down in the trenches and pull a few players from our rivals. If he can great, if not, it's not the end all be all.  If Gus can land top 10 classes here, I fully believe any coach who cares can land top 10 classes. I am more concerned with class balance and player development. Also, landing players that fit our new system.

This is way to early to tell or predict doom on. Let it play out.

Nicely done 86.  Couldn’t agree more 

Man I haven’t been on the forum since just after the AuburnEagle transition. Surprised to see this guy is still around being the biggest negative Nancy I’ve ever seen. 

12 hours ago, DivisionN said:

Whoever hires Hugh Freeze or snags Kiffin away from Ole Piss is going to do very well. We will be fighting from behind and wondering why we did not do the obvious thing and hire one of these guys. 

Because Kiffin has had such tremendous success as a head coach everywhere he's been.  His resume' reads an awful lot like Mushcamp, only difference is that Kiffin's got the wreckage of an NFL team that Boom doesn't have, and a couple of mid-level conference championships. 

Freeze would be no walk in the park with such a target on his back, he's just this side of nuclear waste as far as anybody in the SEC is concerned.  If he really wants Tennessee, they deserve him.  He just better be prepared to lose any and all help from Leigh Anne Tuohy...she ain't no Fat Phil fan.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

A quick Google search.....Kiffin is 65-39 as a HC.  He's flashy but flaky....he'll leave OM or his mouth will get him in trouble.  Harsin is 76-24.  Napier is 27-11 but trending positively; still too close to the Saban tree.  Out of those 3?  I'll take Harsin!  He's ours and needs complete support.  I trust he'll hire good recruiters that will help him learn how to recruit the SEC.

As for the mention of TA&M getting it together....Mond has started there for what....6,7,8 years (it seems like it!) and their OL is FULL of seniors.  JImbo's toughest season might be in 2021.  Honeymoon is over and losing a lot to graduation.

You have a guy that has the reputation of being a likeable hard ass, but he’s going to hold you to a standard. He tried to get BSU to move to a new conference to take the next step as a program. If he has legit autonomy and has the mindset with the AU resources as far as staff goes, I’m pumped.

11 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

A quick Google search.....Kiffin is 65-39 as a HC.  He's flashy but flaky....he'll leave OM or his mouth will get him in trouble.  Harsin is 76-24.  Napier is 27-11 but trending positively; still too close to the Saban tree.  Out of those 3?  I'll take Harsin!  He's ours and needs complete support.  I trust he'll hire good recruiters that will help him learn how to recruit the SEC.

As for the mention of TA&M getting it together....Mond has started there for what....6,7,8 years (it seems like it!) and their OL is FULL of seniors.  JImbo's toughest season might be in 2021.  Honeymoon is over and losing a lot to graduation.

Uh, anyone who wants to stay can.

But yes, this was going to be A&M's year, so it will be interesting to see how long they can last.

I never truly believed we would be able to land Cristobal. But I really wanted Napier. I have no idea how to feel about this hire. BigVolDaddy argued that this was our Butch Jones...at least I don't see this guy declaring us "Champions of Life."

4 hours ago, TigerCatcher said:

Because Kiffin has had such tremendous success as a head coach everywhere he's been.  His resume' reads an awful lot like Mushcamp, only difference is that Kiffin's got the wreckage of an NFL team that Boom doesn't have, and a couple of mid-level conference championships. 

Freeze would be no walk in the park with such a target on his back, he's just this side of nuclear waste as far as anybody in the SEC is concerned.  If he really wants Tennessee, they deserve him.  He just better be prepared to lose any and all help from Leigh Anne Tuohy...she ain't no Fat Phil fan.

After Lane Kiffin got fired by Pat Haden, midseason, in an LAX terminal, I figured I would never see the day where anyone on this forum would be genuinely interested in him being the head coach at Auburn.

29 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

You have a guy that has the reputation of being a likeable hard ass, but he’s going to hold you to a standard. He tried to get BSU to move to a new conference to take the next step as a program. If he has legit autonomy and has the mindset with the AU resources as far as staff goes, I’m pumped.

He actually is the polar opposite of Gus who was not known as a hard ass. 

11 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It has but the SEC has let it be known that should anyone hire Freeze at this point, they would wish they hadn’t . Get the drift?

I'm not defending or promoting Hugh Freeze in any way but I'm not at all sure you're correct.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/liberty-coach-hugh-freeze-vetted-as-coaching-candidate-for-return-to-sec-if-opportunity-permits/

16 hours ago, TeganInbama said:

We needed a recruiting advantage/bump with this hire.

This ain't it.

I'll get behind coach - but I get 24 hrs to be disappoint and rage 

Urban Meyer and Nick Saban rolled into the SEC and proceeded to kick butt in recruiting. If he is willing to work just as hard and smart as those two. He will do just fine. 

13 hours ago, AuShucks said:

I'm not defending or promoting Hugh Freeze in any way but I'm not at all sure you're correct.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/liberty-coach-hugh-freeze-vetted-as-coaching-candidate-for-return-to-sec-if-opportunity-permits/

Your paper is the official remark, but I have heard from those associated with TN they were told unofficial that taking Freeze would be frowned upon by the SEC. just saying. 

Archived