Bagman

The Defiant

You know what would be awesome/hilarious is for us to document or make a break in someone investigating Bama and if we could confirm the cheating and we all pitch in to make it into a commercial while they are in the playoffs one year. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Defiant said:

You know what would be awesome/hilarious is for us to document or make a break in someone investigating Bama and if we could confirm the cheating and we all pitch in to make it into a commercial while they are in the playoffs one year. 

From an outsider: how about quit worrying about Alabama unless it's in recruiting or on the field, and worry about yourself? Maybe Harsin will bring this mentality to Auburn, because the former is what you've done more times than not. And it's why your payroll seems to always have former coaches on it. Auburn owned the state in the 80s. Maybe Harsin can turn things with good, solid football instead of a gimmicky offense. I've seen other posters on here want to get away from -- not the Alabama hate, you don't need to do that. It wouldn't be healthy. But it would be refreshing to see more concern about the Auburn program and not necessarily, as Finebaum has said, a collection of people who hate Alabama.

I mean, at some point, it comes off like the Legion of Doom sitting around talking about how to get the Super Friends. I'm not being ugly, I respect your program and its history. I'm telling you how a lot of the outside world sees your program. Auburn basketball doesn't appear to be locked into that rut. Why define the football program that way?

6 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

mean, at some point, it comes off like the Legion of Doom sitting around talking about how to get the Super Friends.

I loved that show

Super friends rocked back in the day!! Remember that time when Aqua man called all the sea animals to help defeat some bad dudes that had superman and batman locked away, and the the wonder twins said, WOnder twin powers activate, then the big fight happened, and then they won? Remember that?

14 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

From an outsider: how about quit worrying about Alabama unless it's in recruiting or on the field, and worry about yourself? Maybe Harsin will bring this mentality to Auburn, because the former is what you've done more times than not. And it's why your payroll seems to always have former coaches on it. Auburn owned the state in the 80s. Maybe Harsin can turn things with good, solid football instead of a gimmicky offense. I've seen other posters on here want to get away from -- not the Alabama hate, you don't need to do that. It wouldn't be healthy. But it would be refreshing to see more concern about the Auburn program and not necessarily, as Finebaum has said, a collection of people who hate Alabama.

I mean, at some point, it comes off like the Legion of Doom sitting around talking about how to get the Super Friends. I'm not being ugly, I respect your program and its history. I'm telling you how a lot of the outside world sees your program. Auburn basketball doesn't appear to be locked into that rut. Why define the football program that way?

1 If you’re an outsider you have no clue about the rivalry.

2 I don’t know any Auburn fans, especially alumni, who think the way you’re suggesting about the turds

3 I was in school during the early 80s and I know Auburn can be the best program and university in the state.

4 There’s an old adage that Auburn fans say “Auburn is THE university of Alabama. And it’s not just football but a loyal fan base to the university and most bama fans are loyal to the football program.

3 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Super friends rocked back in the day!! Remember that time when Aqua man called all the sea animals to help defeat some bad dudes that had superman and batman locked away, and the the wonder twins said, WOnder twin powers activate, then the big fight happened, and then they won? Remember that?

chris-farley.gif

Some of Auburn's fanbase have an obsession with Alabama that borders on comical.  Gus came in here and pantsed himself on ESPN primetime against Clemson, yet still managed to nearly break even against Alabama.  That tells us Alabama, and whatever they are doing, is not our problem.  Auburn can recruit players and build football teams that can beat Alabama, that has been demonstrated.  Now we are putting together a coaching staff that appears to be building itself into recruiting at another level, and can probably develop those recruits as well, and we have people worried about Alabama's bagman.  The Auburn fans that retain little brother syndrome need to get rid of that.  Auburn is not a little brother to Alabama, or anyone else.  Auburn is Auburn.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Some of Auburn's fanbase have an obsession with Alabama that borders on comical.  Gus came in here and pantsed himself on ESPN primetime against Clemson, yet still managed to nearly break even against Alabama.  That tells us Alabama, and whatever they are doing, is not our problem.  Auburn can recruit players and build football teams that can beat Alabama, that has been demonstrated.  Now we are putting together a coaching staff that appears to be building itself into recruiting at another level, and can probably develop those recruits as well, and we have people worried about Alabama's bagman.  The Auburn fans that retain little brother syndrome need to get rid of that.  Auburn is not a little brother to Alabama, or anyone else.  Auburn is Auburn.

Someone give this man a raise!!

9 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

You sound a lot like Coach Dye

Gump in the wrong chat room telling people to mind their own business. I like it. Think I'm about to go wake up my neighbor and tell him to mind his own business.

18 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Gosh I miss Chris Farley. Gone way too soon..

Same here.

I’ll never forget that time he sold 500,000 brake pads.

9 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

You sound a lot like Coach Dye

I appreciate the compliment, but I'm not a coach, I work in IT.

13 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Hate to break it to some of you but.... every school cheats in the SEC 

Maybe they do, and maybe they don't, but cheating is not why Alabama is enjoying their success.  Reality is simpler than that.  Alabama is coaching recruits into solid players, and then putting them in the NFL.  Alabama has turned itself into an NFL farm team.  That's what 18-year-olds with NFL aspirations care about.  For the past several years, a player was more likely to get developed into a high draft pick by going to Alabama or Georgia, than Auburn.  All indications point to our new head coach making moves to change that, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

If Auburn has a coaching staff that can recruit and then develop college football players into NFL prospects consistently, then we will not have to worry about recruiting.  Recruits do not flock to Alabama because their coaches have awesome personalities, Tuscaloosa is a great place, or skill as snake oil salesmen, they flock there because the coaching staff can honestly say they have a good record of putting players in the NFL.  Everything I've seen about Harsin indicates that is what he wants to build Auburn into.

When you have enough championship rings to slip on all fingers and toes, the recruits will come without doing anything. When you have dozens of first rounders on your past rosters, the recruits will knock your doors down.  Whether Saban ever cheated, I can't say.  But I can say he doesn't need to cheat now (and I doubt he does). 

These cheating arguments always amuse me anyway.  CFB coaches are f'n competitive.  The livelihood of them and their families depend on winning.  If one school was out there paying players left and right, I can GUARANTEE they would turn it in and be calling the NCAA themselves.  And they would know better than us about what does and doesn't go on - they are the ones on the ground all season long recruiting.  Someone caught Hugh Freeze (or his assistants) doing it and I guarantee you it wasn't a case of him or his assistants "confessing" or turning themselves in.  No, a rival coach heard about it and turned their asses in. I guarantee it.  Bama actually had Ramsey wear a damn wire and then go talk to Dye about being paid.  So, yeah, stuff like this goes on.

Changing the culture is what Saban did for Bama more than anything else.  His coaching is nothing special - plenty of guys know how to coach. What he does well is create an organization that can't be touched, filled with elite talent from the coaches to the players to the f'n secretary that all treat him like Dr. Evil.  Say the wrong thing and he presses that button on his desk and dumps you into the tank filled with sharks with fricken "lasers" on their heads.  He is the master, the supreme dictator, and everyone knows it.  

He assembled an army of people off-the-field.  He hired PhD nutritionists and trainers when no one else was doing that. He hired a huge army of "analysts" when no one else was doing it.  He hires people on the cutting edge of EVERYTHING. He is extremely detailed oriented to the point of being a fanatic. You MUST do things exactly as he says to do it and it must be done perfectly every time.  If you don't do it right in practice, you don't play.  He doesn't accept failure and ruthlessly weeds out the weak from his program.  If a coach doesn't properly teach a technique, his ass is chewed out.  If it happens again, he's fired.  We saw this with Lane Kiffin on the sidelines a couple of times.  If Kiffin made a suboptimal call, Saban jumped his ass.  One time when this happened the press asked him about it after the game.  The reporter asked "What was that argument with Kiffin about?" Saban said "Oh there was no argument.  It was what you call an ass chewing."

Few programs have the dedication to do all of this.  Few are willing to spend the money.  Most programs just hire a coach and hope he waves a magic wand and gets different results than his predecessor.  They don't dedicate themselves (the admin, the prez, the BoT, the fans, boosters, the alums) to winning.  They just want the coach to do it.  It's the definition of insanity - doing the same thing and expecting different results.

In real life you need an organization and you need everyone pulling in the same direction.  You need money, support staff, analysts, experts in nutrition/training.  You need top-flight facilities.  Even programs with the money aren't often willing.  For one thing, not many boosters are willing to give their power up to a football coach.  Many boosters like to micromanage because, well, they feel it's their money and they should be able to stipulate exactly what goes on, down to every assistant hire (sound familiar?)  Bama is one of the few who were willing to make a coach the supreme dictator of the university (with authority above the boosters, the president and the BoT). Bama told the Bear GOB network that their days were over and that Bama was moving in a new direction.  The boosters wrote checks and shut up.

And that's why they have 7 national titles in 12 years while everyone else wonders how they do it.  Clemson wondered for a while, then went "all-in" to winning.  Now look at them.  It wasn't all Dabo. It was the admin, the boosters slinging money, the alums, fans, and even the press all pulling in same direction. Amazing what can happen when people change their mindsets and get on the same team with ONE defined leader.

I hope Harsin brings this mindset to AU.

8 hours ago, Strychnine said:

I appreciate the compliment, but I'm not a coach, I work in IT.

Well you sound like Coach.....”worry about Auburn and not what’s going on in Tuscaloosa”

IT folks are heroes to old people like me.

10 hours ago, AUnCullman said:

giphy.gif

Archived