Bagman

The Defiant

9 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Maybe they do, and maybe they don't, but cheating is not why Alabama is enjoying their success.  

I agree that they don't need to cheat...now. However, when they were early in the process, building what they are now, they were blatant and overt with their cheating. That initial run of #1 classes, brought in and paid for by the REC machine led to their success and is why they don't necessarily have to now, although it does continue just on a much lesser scale.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Defiant said:

You know what would be awesome/hilarious is for us to document or make a break in someone investigating Bama and if we could confirm the cheating and we all pitch in to make it into a commercial while they are in the playoffs one year. 

Interesting responses from this board - is it that you think they don't cheat, they've stopped cheating, they cheat and that's okay, we can't control their cheating (and the ncaa) so ignore it, or the mere suggestion that Saban oversees systemic cheating is sacrilege? 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I agree that they don't need to cheat...now. However, when they were early in the process, building what they are now, they were blatant and overt with their cheating. That initial run of #1 classes, brought in and paid for by the REC machine led to their success and is why they don't necessarily have to now, although it does continue just on a much lesser scale.

THe last thing I would ever do is talk about a certain player there that was driving a brand new Dodge Charger with a personalized tag that said Dre on it. Cough, cough, wink, wink. Very blatant

8 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

THe last thing I would ever do is talk about a certain player there that was driving a brand new Dodge Charger with a personalized tag that said Dre on it. Cough, cough, wink, wink. Very blatant

Or his mom's Caddy

image.gif.88b14721e37b765ddc8c97bac752cb5a.gif

Just now, bigbird said:

I wonder how many newbies here even know about the REC club at bama. Didn't we have a user here that actually worked in the Athletic dept or on campus when Saban took over @bigbird? Seems like they shared a lot of what was going on there with us but I cant remember their user tag. 

1 minute ago, AUnCullman said:

I wonder how many newbies here even know about the REC club at bama. Didn't we have a user here that actually worked in the Athletic dept or on campus when Saban took over @bigbird? Seems like they shared a lot of what was going on there with us but I cant remember their user tag. 

Yes, but I can't remember either. It was eye opening.

Yes it was. Very frustrating that nothing was ever done. I guess when you beat them 6 years in a row, they were willing to sell their soul to the devil to make sure it didn't happen again. 

6 hours ago, KnowItAll said:

When you have enough championship rings to slip on all fingers and toes, the recruits will come without doing anything. When you have dozens of first rounders on your past rosters, the recruits will knock your doors down.  Whether Saban ever cheated, I can't say.  But I can say he doesn't need to cheat now (and I doubt he does). 

These cheating arguments always amuse me anyway.  CFB coaches are f'n competitive.  The livelihood of them and their families depend on winning.  If one school was out there paying players left and right, I can GUARANTEE they would turn it in and be calling the NCAA themselves.  And they would know better than us about what does and doesn't go on - they are the ones on the ground all season long recruiting.  Someone caught Hugh Freeze (or his assistants) doing it and I guarantee you it wasn't a case of him or his assistants "confessing" or turning themselves in.  No, a rival coach heard about it and turned their asses in. I guarantee it.  Bama actually had Ramsey wear a damn wire and then go talk to Dye about being paid.  So, yeah, stuff like this goes on.

Changing the culture is what Saban did for Bama more than anything else.  His coaching is nothing special - plenty of guys know how to coach. What he does well is create an organization that can't be touched, filled with elite talent from the coaches to the players to the f'n secretary that all treat him like Dr. Evil.  Say the wrong thing and he presses that button on his desk and dumps you into the tank filled with sharks with fricken "lasers" on their heads.  He is the master, the supreme dictator, and everyone knows it.  

He assembled an army of people off-the-field.  He hired PhD nutritionists and trainers when no one else was doing that. He hired a huge army of "analysts" when no one else was doing it.  He hires people on the cutting edge of EVERYTHING. He is extremely detailed oriented to the point of being a fanatic. You MUST do things exactly as he says to do it and it must be done perfectly every time.  If you don't do it right in practice, you don't play.  He doesn't accept failure and ruthlessly weeds out the weak from his program.  If a coach doesn't properly teach a technique, his ass is chewed out.  If it happens again, he's fired.  We saw this with Lane Kiffin on the sidelines a couple of times.  If Kiffin made a suboptimal call, Saban jumped his ass.  One time when this happened the press asked him about it after the game.  The reporter asked "What was that argument with Kiffin about?" Saban said "Oh there was no argument.  It was what you call an ass chewing."

Few programs have the dedication to do all of this.  Few are willing to spend the money.  Most programs just hire a coach and hope he waves a magic wand and gets different results than his predecessor.  They don't dedicate themselves (the admin, the prez, the BoT, the fans, boosters, the alums) to winning.  They just want the coach to do it.  It's the definition of insanity - doing the same thing and expecting different results.

In real life you need an organization and you need everyone pulling in the same direction.  You need money, support staff, analysts, experts in nutrition/training.  You need top-flight facilities.  Even programs with the money aren't often willing.  For one thing, not many boosters are willing to give their power up to a football coach.  Many boosters like to micromanage because, well, they feel it's their money and they should be able to stipulate exactly what goes on, down to every assistant hire (sound familiar?)  Bama is one of the few who were willing to make a coach the supreme dictator of the university (with authority above the boosters, the president and the BoT). Bama told the Bear GOB network that their days were over and that Bama was moving in a new direction.  The boosters wrote checks and shut up.

And that's why they have 7 national titles in 12 years while everyone else wonders how they do it.  Clemson wondered for a while, then went "all-in" to winning.  Now look at them.  It wasn't all Dabo. It was the admin, the boosters slinging money, the alums, fans, and even the press all pulling in same direction. Amazing what can happen when people change their mindsets and get on the same team with ONE defined leader.

I hope Harsin brings this mindset to AU.

Please change user name to TypeItAll.

the bass player in the first band i was ever end went to school with freddy weygand and they were close and hung out and fished a lot. he said freddy was supper worried about eric ramsey having him on tape because he did in fact receive money. he said he loved in fear of hearing his voice on tape on television. and that my friends is a true story. he was never busted for whatever reason. and a friend in jacksonville who owned a bar called Katz said it was nothing to get hundred dollar handshakes from boosters and fans but he never mentioned serious payments. and at one time he was the second highest leading receiver in school history. i always doubted any player at emma sansom high school ever got paid while i was in school because everybody kicked our azz..........lol

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

the bass player in the first band i was ever end went to school with freddy weygand and they were close and hung out and fished a lot. he said freddy was supper worried about eric ramsey having him on tape because he did in fact receive money. he said he loved in fear of hearing his voice on tape on television. and that my friends is a true story. he was never busted for whatever reason. and a friend in jacksonville who owned a bar called Katz said it was nothing to get hundred dollar handshakes from boosters and fans but he never mentioned serious payments. and at one time he was the second highest leading receiver in school history. i always doubted any player at emma sansom high school ever got paid while i was in school because everybody kicked our azz..........lol

Freddy was low key and aw shucks and I don't think his voice was all that distinctive. So i think he was safe. But I don't doubt Eric had him on tape. We were all warned to stay away from Eric's wife. She was known to be bad news. The coaches knew better. But feeding the man's baby took priority. Those were sad times. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

What? Lol

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Right, I agree 100%. However, when other programs implement successful recruiting and has had multiple years of success beating Saban crazy things happen. An example is Ole Miss, after two years Alabama hired their coach and their were rumors that Ole Miss was being investigated. I remember that coach being questioned by the NCAA about his experience recruiting certain players Kimdiche brothers I believe. 

I have no proof and this is me guessing but I wouldn't put it past someone that is a booster or someone that is planted to get in touch with Tunsil's step father to make all that information public to damage Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss. Alabama has done it to us before and they will do it to other teams that get in their way. It is all about money and sports betting. 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

the bass player in the first band i was ever end went to school with freddy weygand and they were close and hung out and fished a

Damn, I loved Freddy Weygand- fast and smoooooth. Would have loved to see him in a modern offense. Best quote ever from an FSU db about Weygand: “That is one fast white dude”

On 1/12/2021 at 9:30 PM, AUnCullman said:

Super friends rocked back in the day!! Remember that time when Aqua man called all the sea animals to help defeat some bad dudes that had superman and batman locked away, and the the wonder twins said, WOnder twin powers activate, then the big fight happened, and then they won? Remember that?

I preferred the AGD with Ace and Gary. "What's everybody looking at?" "NOTHING!"

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Hey 50, I'm Gadsden High, c/o '99. Loved going to the Charity Bowls every year against ESHS at Murphree Stadium. I actually grew up right in front of GHS.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about Rodney Garner, one of the best bagmen. Considering that he was canned at UT and GA I was surprised AU ever hired him.

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Damn, I loved Freddy Weygand- fast and smoooooth. Would have loved to see him in a modern offense. Best quote ever from an FSU db about Weygand: “That is one fast white dude”

i told tim our bass player i wanted to meet him but it just never happened.

54 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Hey 50, I'm Gadsden High, c/o '99. Loved going to the Charity Bowls every year against ESHS at Murphree Stadium. I actually grew up right in front of GHS.

i was class of 73 but quit and joined the navy. i was on the crew that helped redo murphy stadium.

3 hours ago, fredst said:

When I watched Freddy play at Emma Samson I thought, man, this guy is some kind of good. When I found out he wanted to come to Auburn I thought he was some kind of great...and he was. :tdau:

15 hours ago, KnowItAll said:

When you have enough championship rings to slip on all fingers and toes, the recruits will come without doing anything. When you have dozens of first rounders on your past rosters, the recruits will knock your doors down.  Whether Saban ever cheated, I can't say.  But I can say he doesn't need to cheat now (and I doubt he does). 

These cheating arguments always amuse me anyway.  CFB coaches are f'n competitive.  The livelihood of them and their families depend on winning.  If one school was out there paying players left and right, I can GUARANTEE they would turn it in and be calling the NCAA themselves.  And they would know better than us about what does and doesn't go on - they are the ones on the ground all season long recruiting.  Someone caught Hugh Freeze (or his assistants) doing it and I guarantee you it wasn't a case of him or his assistants "confessing" or turning themselves in.  No, a rival coach heard about it and turned their asses in. I guarantee it.  Bama actually had Ramsey wear a damn wire and then go talk to Dye about being paid.  So, yeah, stuff like this goes on.

Changing the culture is what Saban did for Bama more than anything else.  His coaching is nothing special - plenty of guys know how to coach. What he does well is create an organization that can't be touched, filled with elite talent from the coaches to the players to the f'n secretary that all treat him like Dr. Evil.  Say the wrong thing and he presses that button on his desk and dumps you into the tank filled with sharks with fricken "lasers" on their heads.  He is the master, the supreme dictator, and everyone knows it.  

He assembled an army of people off-the-field.  He hired PhD nutritionists and trainers when no one else was doing that. He hired a huge army of "analysts" when no one else was doing it.  He hires people on the cutting edge of EVERYTHING. He is extremely detailed oriented to the point of being a fanatic. You MUST do things exactly as he says to do it and it must be done perfectly every time.  If you don't do it right in practice, you don't play.  He doesn't accept failure and ruthlessly weeds out the weak from his program.  If a coach doesn't properly teach a technique, his ass is chewed out.  If it happens again, he's fired.  We saw this with Lane Kiffin on the sidelines a couple of times.  If Kiffin made a suboptimal call, Saban jumped his ass.  One time when this happened the press asked him about it after the game.  The reporter asked "What was that argument with Kiffin about?" Saban said "Oh there was no argument.  It was what you call an ass chewing."

Few programs have the dedication to do all of this.  Few are willing to spend the money.  Most programs just hire a coach and hope he waves a magic wand and gets different results than his predecessor.  They don't dedicate themselves (the admin, the prez, the BoT, the fans, boosters, the alums) to winning.  They just want the coach to do it.  It's the definition of insanity - doing the same thing and expecting different results.

In real life you need an organization and you need everyone pulling in the same direction.  You need money, support staff, analysts, experts in nutrition/training.  You need top-flight facilities.  Even programs with the money aren't often willing.  For one thing, not many boosters are willing to give their power up to a football coach.  Many boosters like to micromanage because, well, they feel it's their money and they should be able to stipulate exactly what goes on, down to every assistant hire (sound familiar?)  Bama is one of the few who were willing to make a coach the supreme dictator of the university (with authority above the boosters, the president and the BoT). Bama told the Bear GOB network that their days were over and that Bama was moving in a new direction.  The boosters wrote checks and shut up.

And that's why they have 7 national titles in 12 years while everyone else wonders how they do it.  Clemson wondered for a while, then went "all-in" to winning.  Now look at them.  It wasn't all Dabo. It was the admin, the boosters slinging money, the alums, fans, and even the press all pulling in same direction. Amazing what can happen when people change their mindsets and get on the same team with ONE defined leader.

I hope Harsin brings this mindset to AU.

I had friends that got recruited by various SEC schools so I know for a fact that it happens. You’re very gullible if you believe it doesn’t. 

20 hours ago, toddc said:

1 If you’re an outsider you have no clue about the rivalry.

2 I don’t know any Auburn fans, especially alumni, who think the way you’re suggesting about the turds

3 I was in school during the early 80s and I know Auburn can be the best program and university in the state.

4 There’s an old adage that Auburn fans say “Auburn is THE university of Alabama. And it’s not just football but a loyal fan base to the university and most bama fans are loyal to the football program.

So what does this have to do what the poster said in their post? What he said is mostly true. We need to quit writing about what bama does and worry about what Auburn does. Nick came in and had a bad first year. I don’t think he has cheated anymore than any other coach. Does he gripe about things that don’t go his way? Sure who doesn’t.?Point is if you win games good things come your way. Unlike Gus, Nick was not afraid to hire good coaches rather than yes men. Nick knew he needed a hurry up offense rather than his safe offense and he went and got one. Remember Nick’s first winning teams were all about defenses and some of his last ones have been about offenses. This year’s uat offense might have been one of the best ever in college football and Nick is a defensive coach. Shows you how Nick has grown with the game. His never was that way and neither was Tubberville . They won on the sheet name of AU and the talent that name came bring here. Neither ever contributed to what they could get just being Auburn. I don’t know if Harsin will be but I hope he will. When you look at Clemson or Uat these days they are what they are because of Dabo and Nick and their willingness to grow to the game. I want to see a coach that knows hard work and not some dazzle dazzle wins games. That games are won before the team even walks in the field . They are won by knowledge and attitude. If you just want to play sandlot ball like Gus your not going to beat good teams often . You have to train winners. Players that play and work to win games not just show off or have fun. Sorry nuff said. We need to worry about our house and not others.

31 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So what does this have to do what the poster said in their post? What he said is mostly true. We need to quit writing about what bama does and worry about what Auburn does. Nick came in and had a bad first year. I don’t think he has cheated anymore than any other coach. Does he gripe about things that don’t go his way? Sure who doesn’t.?Point is if you win games good things come your way. Unlike Gus, Nick was not afraid to hire good coaches rather than yes men. Nick knew he needed a hurry up offense rather than his safe offense and he went and got one. Remember Nick’s first winning teams were all about defenses and some of his last ones have been about offenses. This year’s uat offense might have been one of the best ever in college football and Nick is a defensive coach. Shows you how Nick has grown with the game. His never was that way and neither was Tubberville . They won on the sheet name of AU and the talent that name came bring here. Neither ever contributed to what they could get just being Auburn. I don’t know if Harsin will be but I hope he will. When you look at Clemson or Uat these days they are what they are because of Dabo and Nick and their willingness to grow to the game. I want to see a coach that knows hard work and not some dazzle dazzle wins games. That games are won before the team even walks in the field . They are won by knowledge and attitude. If you just want to play sandlot ball like Gus your not going to beat good teams often . You have to train winners. Players that play and work to win games not just show off or have fun. Sorry nuff said. We need to worry about our house and not others.

😆 It looks like you just wrote about 2 paragraphs explaining to me what Alabama does while stating we should not worry about them. I’ve never posted anything about the turds but focus 💯 on Auburn. This is hilarious 😂 

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I had friends that got recruited by various SEC schools so I know for a fact that it happens. You’re very gullible if you believe it doesn’t. 

It's a difference of magnitude. Other SEC schools for the most part are jaywalking, speeding, and running red lights. Alabama is figuratively robbing banks and kidnapping (literally, in the case of that recruit from Russellville some years ago).

Had a friend from MI years ago who had attended some sort of summer camp at the UAT campus back in the late '70's or early '80's. He had no ties to the SEC. The first time I told him I was from Alabama (the state) he automatically assumed I had gone to UAT and couldn't wait to tell me about the parking lot at the athletics complex he saw during his camp. He thought a pro team was in town to borrow their facilities from the quality of the iron in the parking lot. Not a single old car in it. Nope. Summer workouts for the UAT football team. I remember what the parking lot for athletes at AU looked like at that time. It was the usual student mix, if anything, on the poor side relative to the rest of AU. 

Archived