Teen granted youthful offender status in deaths of Auburn announcer Rod Bramblett, wife Paula

DKW 86

Folks, White with Money gets away with 2 Manslaughter Cases and essentially is free. This kid probably has not seen a day in rehab either. ordered Rehab doesnt mean he actually attended nor that the court even looked at it. This kid is obviously getting away with this.

Teen granted youthful offender status in deaths of Auburn announcer Rod Bramblett, wife Paula

The 18-year-old charged in the crash that killed Auburn announcer Rod Bramblett and his wife, Paula, has been granted youthful offender status.

Johnston Edward Taylor is charged with manslaughter in the May 25, 2019 deaths of the Brambletts.

The teen’s bond was first revoked in December 2019 after got two speeding tickets and one reckless driving citation seven months after the deadly crash. He is still facing another possible bond revocation.

Due to the confidential status of youthful offender proceedings, his attorney, Tommy Spina, declined to comment on the ruling.

Lee County Circuit Judge P.B. McLauchlin, a retired judge handling the case, issued his order Tuesday. The order was made public at 4:24 p.m.

“At the time of the accident the defendant was a 16-year-old teenager with no prior criminal history, who had smoked or used marijuana and had been diagnosed with marijuana use disorder,’' McLauchlin wrote. “None of this justifies what happened; however, it does lend itself to treatment as a Youthful Offender.”

The youthful offender status will eliminate a jury trial, if there is a trial, and the range of punishment goes from two to 20 years had he been tried as an adult to zero to three years maximum.

It was just after 6 p.m. on Saturday, May 25, 2019 when the Brambletts were killed.

Taylor -- then a 16-year-old Lee Scott Academy student -- was traveling south in the outside lane on Shug Jordan Parkway approaching West Samford Avenue in his Jeep Laredo.

The Brambletts, in a 2017 Toyota Highlander, were stopped in the southbound outside lane of Shug Jordan parkway at a traffic light.

The Jeep struck the Bramblett’s SUV to the right of center, according to the crash report. The impact caused the Jeep to hit a pedestrian and a traffic light pole before coming to a final rest.

The Bramblett’s vehicle was pushed into the intersection and through the opposing lanes of traffic before coming to a final rest on the curb.

Taylor’s “blood sample contained THC, which is the primary psychoactive component of marijuana, and is indicative of recent usage of marijuana at the time of the collision,” records state. The teen was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

Paula Bramblett, 53, was airlifted from the scene but had to be diverted to East Alabama Medical Center due to the severity of her injuries. She was pronounced dead in the emergency room from multiple internal injuries.

Rod Bramblett, 52, who was the driver of the Highlander, was airlifted to UAB Hospital in Birmingham, where he later died from a closed head injury.

At the time of the deadly crash, Taylor was driving 89 mph in a 55-mph zone, under the influence of marijuana, and still accelerating, authorities said, when he rammed into the back of the couple’s SUV.

The judge noted in his order that Taylor had only had his driver’s license for three months when the deadly crash happened.

He also chronicled facts of the case, which included that Taylor was traveling at 90 to 80 miles per hour and in the five seconds before the crash, the vehicle was not slowed or steered.

He said Taylor told authorities he was on his way home from the lake after spending the day with a friend and her family, that he was tired and fell asleep, remembered only a loud crash, his vehicle spinning and smoke everywhere.

“The defendant says when he last looked at the speedometer, he was going 60 to 65 mph,’' the judge wrote.

McLauchlin also noted that Taylor had been pulled over twice following the deadly crash and that his bond had been previously revoked, landing Taylor in jail for five days.

“The defendant received 60-90 days residential rehab treatment in Nashville, Tennessee and has been confined to his home since then by agreement to reset bond,’' he wrote. “He also passed all drug except recently in March 2021 when he tested positive for alcohol. He alleged that was due to him taking allergy medicine which contained alcohol.”

He also was prohibited from use of any social media and must continue mental health and drug treatment therapy.

According to the newest bond revocation request, which is still pending, Taylor had positive screens for alcohol on March 1, March 18, and March 20 of this year.

“All results are indicative of previous heavy drinking 1-3 days before test or recent light drinking within the past 24 hours,’' wrote Lee County Assistant District Attorney James L. Farmer.

Taylor’s attorneys filed an objection for bond revocation, claiming the request was a “Hail Mary” to put Taylor in jail and prejudice the outcome of the youthful offender hearing.

• Angry 2

[quote]...and had been diagnosed with Marijuana use disorder...[/quote]

That's a funny bit of sophistry for saying kid liked to get blitzed and drive. Meh.

I had some sympathy for the kid initially but a pattern of behavior became clear after the fact and the DA rightfully tried to revoke his bond on at least two occasions.

That being said the application of youthful offender status is appropriate here. Just wish it wasn't applied so arbitrarily based upon affluence, influence, race or the nature of the crime in question.

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 2

Not to pile on but the young man was very defensive and frankly "obtuse" after the incident at the hospital. Dismissive to be frank. 

Just wish it had never happened. 

emt, I heard the kid "has ties to Auburn law Enforcement."

You know anything about that?

This might be the correct ruling legally, but I think the kid has clearly shown a disregard for authority and rules over and over again, and probably wont be any better after getting a relatively light punishment for killing 2 people recklessly. 

Probably wrong of me, but I was secretly hoping for him to be denied youthful status. 

Come on DKW; it’s not just white with money:

The two teen girls accused of killing an Uber driver in a botched carjacking in Washington, DC, in March are expected to reach a plea deal with prosecutors in the case.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/05/teens-accused-in-fatal-uber-carjacking-to-get-plea-deal-report/

And;

The teens who were charged with the murder and carjacking last month have reportedly reached a plea deal with prosecutors, the Post Millennialreported..

They reportedly entered the deal to ensure that they will not be held past the age of 21 or be placed in a prison facility.

Due to DC law, the 13-year-old girl would not be able to be prosecuted as an adult because of her age.

The next court date for the two teenagers is now set for April 20 where the state of the case will be discussed.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2641762/ubereats-driver-murder-girls-prison-plea-deal/

As to the article; I can’t see how someone learns to accept personal responsibility without being held accountable for their actions.  For his own sake he should do some jail time just to think about what he has done.  JMO.

• Facepalm 2

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Come on DKW; it’s not just white with money:

The two teen girls accused of killing an Uber driver in a botched carjacking in Washington, DC, in March are expected to reach a plea deal with prosecutors in the case.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/05/teens-accused-in-fatal-uber-carjacking-to-get-plea-deal-report/

And;

The teens who were charged with the murder and carjacking last month have reportedly reached a plea deal with prosecutors, the Post Millennialreported..

They reportedly entered the deal to ensure that they will not be held past the age of 21 or be placed in a prison facility.

Due to DC law, the 13-year-old girl would not be able to be prosecuted as an adult because of her age.

The next court date for the two teenagers is now set for April 20 where the state of the case will be discussed.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2641762/ubereats-driver-murder-girls-prison-plea-deal/

As to the article; I can’t see how someone learns to accept personal responsibility without being held accountable for their actions.  For his own sake he should do some jail time just to think about what he has done.  JMO.

Looking at individual cases is a fine example of cherrypicking. Have to consider the stats in the aggregate and the various intersections, and the stats are pretty clear. Boys are more likely to be tried as adults than girls, poor kids are more likely to be tried as adults than rich kids, random kids are more likely to be tried as adults than kids from influential families and minority kids are more likely to be tried as adults than white kids. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Looking at individual cases is a fine example of cherrypicking. Have to consider the stats in the aggregate and the various intersections, and the stats are pretty clear. Boys are more likely to be tried as adults than girls, poor kids are more likely to be tried as adults than rich kids, random kids are more likely to be tried as adults than kids from influential families and minority kids are more likely to be tried as adults than white kids. 

It would be nice if the law was the law, then everything you stated wouldn’t matter.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It would be nice if the law was the law, then everything you stated wouldn’t matter.

A lot of our criminal justice system is a mess. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

A lot of our criminal justice system is a mess. 

I know my statement was a little Pollyanna, but it really is that simple.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

emt, I heard the kid "has ties to Auburn law Enforcement."

You know anything about that?

Not sure of his "ties to law enforcement" but he is the grandson of the owner of a prominent book store in Auburn.  You can look at the kid's first name and guess which one.

• Like 1

I wondered if he has a Dad, Uncle, Brother in the DA's Office or on the Auburn PD.

• Facepalm 1

The judge in this case is NOT a Lee county circuit judge.  He is a retired Dale county circuit judge appointed by the Alabama Supreme Court to hear this case with no connections whatsoever with anyone involved.  All 5 judges recused themselves from the case so that the state supreme court would appoint a visiting judge.

There are no connections with law enforcement or the DA's office that are helping the kid.  The DA's office has twice sought to have his bond revoked and they secured an indictment for 2 counts of manslaughter, the highest degree available under state law.  Since being released from his rehab facility, he has not tested positive for any controlled substance, other than one positive result for alcohol.  The amounts were obviously so low that the judge believed the argument that the positive result was from allergy medications.

Alabama has a youthful offender statute. This is a good explanation of the law.

http://www.bradfordladner.net/youthful-offender-status/

I don't know them personally, but I do know that connections haven't had anything to do with this.  The decision is one that this judge has made many times before.  Sometimes which judge someone draws is as important as any other factor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

I had actually read that he had "connections with law enforcement."

https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/johnston-taylor/

3. Taylor Was Described as Having Close Ties to Law Enforcement

Taylor was taken into custody and booked into the Lee County Jail. He was held on a $50,000 bond but has since been released. He was charged under 12-15-204 of the Alabama Criminal code, “Acts for which person who has attained age 16 shall be charged, arrested, and tried as an adult; removal of person from jurisdiction of juvenile court.”

WLTZ reported that Taylor has “deep ties to the Auburn community and even closer connection to law enforcement.”

“As far as any relationships or any rumors, of course, I’m not going to get into that at all, speculate or make other comments,” Captain Lorenza Dorsey said when asked specifically about the driver’s possible connection to the police department. Dorsey said the case would be investigated and handled like any other case.

• Like 1

Bro I know nobody here is going to try to argue that being rich and white you get treated different in the judicial system as opposed to if you aren't... 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Bro I know nobody here is going to try to argue that being rich and white you get treated different in the judicial system as opposed to if you aren't... 

Only a fool would. The stats on this are clear. He gets the benefit of a doubt other kids that don't share his background, race, gender etc. should but often don't.

Edited by AUDub
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I had actually read that he had "connections with law enforcement."

https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/johnston-taylor/

3. Taylor Was Described as Having Close Ties to Law Enforcement

Taylor was taken into custody and booked into the Lee County Jail. He was held on a $50,000 bond but has since been released. He was charged under 12-15-204 of the Alabama Criminal code, “Acts for which person who has attained age 16 shall be charged, arrested, and tried as an adult; removal of person from jurisdiction of juvenile court.”

WLTZ reported that Taylor has “deep ties to the Auburn community and even closer connection to law enforcement.”

“As far as any relationships or any rumors, of course, I’m not going to get into that at all, speculate or make other comments,” Captain Lorenza Dorsey said when asked specifically about the driver’s possible connection to the police department. Dorsey said the case would be investigated and handled like any other case.

The only point I was making was that those connections haven't resulted in some sort of preferential treatment from law enforcement or the DA's office.  Everyone that needed to recuse themselves did so, which is what we should expect in this type of horrific tragedy.  The DA's office charged him as an adult, as they should have. Thereafter, the defense filed a motion to have the defendant classified as a youthful offender, as they were entitled to do under AL law.  The DA's office objected, a hearing was held, and this is the outcome.  Imagine if the same decision had been made by a local judge with connections to the family in some way.  That is why the system requires recusal not only when there is an actual conflict of interest, but even when there is the appearance of a conflict.

8 hours ago, AUDub said:

Only a fool would. The stats on this are clear. He gets the benefit of a doubt other kids that don't share his background, race, gender etc. should but often don't.

I'm glad you stated it that way.  The problem isn't that this defendant got something that he shouldn't have, but that many don't get the same benefit when they should.

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I'm glad you stated it that way.  The problem isn't that this defendant got something that he shouldn't have, but that many don't get the same benefit when they should.

It's part of the "tough on crime" mentality we have in this country. "This guy got 15 years while the other guy got 10! They should BOTH have gotten 15!" And then you have a new mandatory minimum that effectively ties judges' hands and does more harm than good.

And let's face it, neither party is or ever really will be pro defendants' rights. "Tough on crime" is an easy sell among the majority.

Edited by AUDub

The only point I was making was that those connections haven't resulted in some sort of preferential treatment from law enforcement or the DA's office.  Everyone that needed to recuse themselves did so, which is what we should expect in this type of horrific tragedy.  The DA's office charged him as an adult, as they should have. Thereafter, the defense filed a motion to have the defendant classified as a youthful offender, as they were entitled to do under AL law.  The DA's office objected, a hearing was held, and this is the outcome.  Imagine if the same decision had been made by a local judge with connections to the family in some way.  That is why the system requires recusal not only when there is an actual conflict of interest, but even when there is the appearance of a conflict.

I 100% Understand all that. I was just curious if it was true. At the time i heard this, I had not read about recusals nor the situation with the Judge. For my .02, the kid has failed to convey even the slightest remorse for any of this. He has shot himself in the foot, yet, he is getting every benefit of who he is. If this was you or me, we would be looking at 3-5 years in the county jail at least.

Edited by DKW 86

I'd agree with this. It does seem that the prosecutor has been pretty on point trying to keep the kid accountable. 

I'm not making any accusations or insinuations here, but I do wonder how much if any impact the relatively higher profile of the victims may have had on everyone making sure it was all on the up-and-up. If the victims had just been a random unknown couple as opposed to the Bramblett's, would the same care for transparency had been made here? 

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'd agree with this. It does seem that the prosecutor has been pretty on point trying to keep the kid accountable. 

I'm not making any accusations or insinuations here, but I do wonder how much if any impact the relatively higher profile of the victims may have had on everyone making sure it was all on the up-and-up. If the victims had just been a random unknown couple as opposed to the Bramblett's, would the same care for transparency had been made here? 

That is a fair question.  The entire tragedy reminds me of how fragile life is.  The first thing my mind goes to when I think about this is how quickly and with no warning the lives of the Bramblett children changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

It's part of the "tough on crime" mentality we have in this country. "This guy got 15 years while the other guy got 10! They should BOTH have gotten 15!" And then you have a new mandatory minimum that effectively ties judges' hands and does more harm than good.

And let's face it, neither party is or ever really will be pro defendants' rights. "Tough on crime" is an easy sell among the majority.

I have always hated mandatory minimums.  The idea that everyone is treated the same under the law makes sense in theory, but there is always more to a case than what appears on a fact sheet.  People don't usually see that clearly until it is someone that they know and/or care about that is being charged with a crime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Everybody in the 'tough on crime' segment are all "throw the book at them!" until it's their kid that's gone and done something terrible and stupid.

• Like 1