Transfers Don’t Have to Sit Out a year

toddc

NCAA to allow transfers to play college football, basketball without sitting out a season, reports say

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
4:15 PM CT
  • Associated Press 

Starting next season, major college football and basketball players will be permitted to transfer one time before graduating without being required to sit out a year of competition.

The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to change the long-standing rule that has often deterred players in high-profile sports from switching schools, two people with knowledge of the council's decision told The Associated Press.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the two-day meeting was still in session and the council's decisions would not become official until it ends Thursday. The Athletic first reported the council's vote.

ADVERTISEMENT

The so-called one-time exception has been available to athletes in other NCAA sports for years, allowing them to transfer and play immediately. Athletes in football, men's and women's basketball, men's ice hockey and baseball have not had that available to them without asking the NCAA for a special waiver and claiming that a hardship caused the need for a transfer.

Now that it is official I wonder if we will see another surge in number of players in transfer Portal.  This is a two edged sword gives the Student athlete more control and flexibility which is good but I am afraid some players will go into Portal lose current scholarship and not get picked up so won't be able to get a free education.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Now that it is official I wonder if we will see another surge in number of players in transfer Portal.  This is a two edged sword gives the Student athlete more control and flexibility which is good but I am afraid some players will go into Portal lose current scholarship and not get picked up so won't be able to get a free education.

They announced this last May and I think everyone was acting as if it would pass.  We're already at or past the number of kids in the portal that we saw each of the last two transfer periods.  Some kids will still transfer, but like early NSD I think the vast majority have already done it.

Think the kids that will transfer post spring are the ones that either got passed on a depth chart or gave the new coach a shot and it didn't work.  Hopefully there is an OL or two in there that can help us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This could definitely happen, but as WED said many already entered the portal under the assumption that the rule was already in place. I am definitely hoping to pick up 1 stud OT after Spring.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This could definitely happen, but as WED said many already entered the portal under the assumption that the rule was already in place. I am definitely hoping to pick up 1 stud OT after Spring.

Praying to Aubie this will happen. I don't have very high hopes. Really needed to lock something down already. 

14 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The staff doesn't seem to be pulling out all the stops to get an O-line transfer. Somebody who claims to know said they prefer to work with what they have this coming season and keep a few extra slots available for next year's early enrollees. No doubt they'd like an SEC-ready OT transfer but those are scarce in this neighborhood, or else simply not to be found. (That's paraphrasing Gandalph's: "in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found. ...)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The staff doesn't seem to be pulling out all the stops to get an O-line transfer. Somebody who claims to know said they prefer to work with what they have this coming season and keep a few extra slots available for next year's early enrollees. No doubt they'd like an SEC-ready OT transfer but those are scarce in this neighborhood, or else simply not to be found. (That's paraphrasing Gandalph's: "in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found. ...)

I can't say I disagree with that. If it isn't a sure fire guy that can come in and be an immediate starter then save the spot. 

I’m not sure how many spots we have to work with, but if we can find the caliber of player we need, I’d like to see us pick up a solid OT and C.  We could also benefit from a seasoned WR and another body for RB depth.  A guy that fits the mold of a true NG would help with depth as well.  

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I’m not sure how many spots we have to work with, but if we can find the caliber of player we need, I’d like to see us pick up a solid OT and C.  We could also benefit from a seasoned WR and another body for RB depth.  A guy that fits the mold of a true NG would help with depth as well.  

Look at the last two pages of the 2021 recruiting thread. We have two or three slots left before we reach our annual limit. If not used, these slots may be given to an early enrolee in the 2022 class.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I'm really hoping Council comes back and can take the center spot from Brahms.  I'm not sure there will be any, but a starting tackle and WR should be the two highest priorities.  RB depth is kinda meh, but I'm not sure it's really worth it to get a 3rd string RB.

I think we missed our biggest shot around the beginning of the year to sign any high quality kids.

Edited by W.E.D

I agree that it's highly unlikely to pick up an OL at this point that would be an upgrade from what we have. I can certainly see why our staff would prefer to continue working with an OL roster that they have already coached.

• Like 1

I also agree it may be difficult for them to find some sure-fire SEC ready guy that can come in and dominate, but I don't agree that it would be hard to upgrade from the tackles we currently have, considering Hamm and Jackson are really guards. I went back and watched the spring game and Hamm needs to move back inside. He was getting beat off the edge almost every time. I think he is a beast at guard though so not his fault he's playing tackle out of necessity. I have always thought we needed a LT but RT may actually be a bigger priority. Hopefully one of Troxell/Jackson can be serviceable 

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm really hoping Council comes back and can take the center spot from Brahms.  I'm not sure there will be any, but a starting tackle and WR should be the two highest priorities.  RB depth is kinda meh, but I'm not sure it's really worth it to get a 3rd string RB.

I think we missed our biggest shot around the beginning of the year to sign any high quality kids.

Yes, I’m with you on however we can get better at OT and C.  Any way possible, this needs to happen!

I agree.  Those are the top priorities.  I don’t think we have the spots available, nor would it be the wisest use of them to grab a transfer RB that we know at best would be 3rd on the depth chart.   Hopefully, Barrett and the FR from MS can provide adequate depth.  (And sometimes even 4 adequate RBs aren’t enough in the SEC😬)

• Thanks 1