Just Watched A-Day

AUght2win

Watching it was hard to believe this group has gotten stronger with the off season program. The entire team looked like a MAC team! Wow, my expectations are very low. Sad that it looks like we'll largely waste Tank's College Career, with a better team he could have been one of the all time greats. He's special for sure and even with this team he'll have a few incredible highlights if he can stay healthy.

I think Harsin will be great, and am "all in" for him, but we may need some patients. He's never had weekly opponents like he will have this year, he may be in for a bit of a surprise and a learning curve. He may think what he has right now looks pretty good, but may come crashing back to reality when he figures out the difference between Mountain West talent and SEC talent. 

I hope I'm surprised.

gabo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have 2 backs that can for sure play in the SEC. We have 1 that has done it before and will need to knock some rust off (Devan). And we have a freshman back coming in for the fall. Having 2 SEC backs and 2 backups is not bad. Hell the best we can even hope to improve that is 2 SEC backs and 3 backups. So if we are not good at RB its not going to get much better for next season. We'll be in trouble if Tank goes down but that will be true regardless of any transfer we bring in

9 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Every group needs work!   
TE is the best group overall, and CBH will use TEs to help with deficiencies on OL.  

Let's puuuuuuuuump the brakes.

Just because we are finally using the tight ends doesn't mean they are suddenly great. We can't even evaluate them yet, as it's such a small sample size and the incumbent starter (shenker) is off playing baseball rn.

The best position group is by far the secondary. Idk how even our own fans overlook how good Smoke and Roger are.

2 hours ago, gabo4au said:

I think Harsin will be great, and am "all in" for him, but we may need some patients.

That's a NO on that idea. We don't need any serious injuries.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Let's puuuuuuuuump the brakes.

Just because we are finally using the tight ends doesn't mean they are suddenly great. We can't even evaluate them yet, as it's such a small sample size and the incumbent starter (shenker) is off playing baseball rn.

The best position group is by far the secondary. Idk how even our own fans overlook how good Smoke and Roger are.

I agree that it is early to make that determination about the TE room. I think it is just the lure of having so many different skills sets and body types. I thin Shenker has proven he has sure hands and is a solid blocker. Deal has proven to be probably the best blocker on the team. Then we have Fromm who definitely looked like a prototype TE at Aday and seems to have good hands. Add Frazier and King and it is a plethora of unproven riches. 

I think secondary is definitely up there for the best group, with LB running a very close second. I love both groups. The entire back 7 and 2 deep is pretty nasty. 

2 hours ago, gabo4au said:

Watching it was hard to believe this group has gotten stronger with the off season program. The entire team looked like a MAC team! Wow, my expectations are very low. Sad that it looks like we'll largely waste Tank's College Career, with a better team he could have been one of the all time greats. He's special for sure and even with this team he'll have a few incredible highlights if he can stay healthy.

I am hoping this is satire. The guys looked very good physically and to say their play looked inferior is non-sense. Did the whole team show out? No, but there were definitely some groups that performed very well and some individuals from every room that performed well. 

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The entire back 7 and 2 deep is pretty nasty. 

Our secondary has a lot of potential, I'm very excited about the possible lineups

Just now, bigbird said:

Our secondary has a lot of potential

McCreary is an All SEC caliber CB. Simpson played very well last season before injury and will hold his own on the other side. Pritchett was one of the better graded DBs in coverage last year and he is going to be a "slot CB" or NB. Smoke looked impressive in the spring game and Tennison is a hardened criminal at S. Starting 5 is as good as any one. Then...you have Miller coming in who is good enough to potentially take a spot, along with Domio who played well at end of last season. Chris Thompson made some good plays at S in A-Day. I don't remember us having as deep and talented a secondary as this since probably 04. 

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Yep. DBs first and then LBs are the strength of the team.  My post was quoting @keeslerdiscussing the offensive side of the ball.  

15 hours ago, gravejd said:

We have 1 that has done it before and will need to knock some rust off (Devan).

That's a mighty generous way of saying it. He played in 4 games as a freshman. Two of them were Liberty and Alabama State. He didn't even play football last year.

16 hours ago, gravejd said:

Hell the best we can even hope to improve that is 2 SEC backs and 3 backups. So if we are not good at RB its not going to get much better for next season. We'll be in trouble if Tank goes down but that will be true regardless of any transfer we bring in

Rudi Johnson, Cameron Artis-Payne, Kenny Irons, Jovon Robinson, Brandon Jacobs, Corey Grant... Three of those guys were star RB1s, another would've been if not for playing behind two 1st rounders and he did end up having a fantastic NFL career, five others played in the NFL, and the other one should've been the best of the bunch. We could dramatically improve our situation with a transfer. Good news is the staff knows that and they're looking.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's a mighty generous way of saying it. He played in 4 games as a freshman. Two of them were Liberty and Alabama State. He didn't even play football last year.

Rudi Johnson, Cameron Artis-Payne, Kenny Irons, Jovon Robinson, Brandon Jacobs, Corey Grant... Three of those guys were star RB1s, another would've been if not for playing behind two 1st rounders and he did end up having a fantastic NFL career, five others played in the NFL, and the other one should've been the best of the bunch. We could dramatically improve our situation with a transfer. Good news is the staff knows that and they're looking.

Yeah i mean i get that we have had deeper back fields and that its always better to have more at any position. I guess my point of view is that we have an elite stater with Tank and a very high upside backup in Shivers. We then have 2 more guys that i think can be decent RB options and they could actually be really good we'll just have to see. How many other positions on offense can we say that we have the starter and backup that can play at an SEC level? So while i agree that it would not hurt to bring in a RB, i think there are other positions on offense that could use some experience and where a transfer can compete for starting minutes. Versus RB where they will be coming in at 3rd string in a best case scenario. 

We'll see what the coaching staff can find in the portal and what players they think can help the team. I will not be shocked if they bring in another RB because 4 is a bare minimum number for bodies at that position. 

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

How many other positions on offense can we say that we have the starter and backup that can play at an SEC level?

Every position except QB, OL and WR.

7 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Versus RB where they will be coming in at 3rd string in a best case scenario. 

Here's the thing about RB, though. It's not really "3rd string". It's not like some other positions where one guy takes the vast majority of the snaps in a game. And it's not like all RBs are used the same way. We're going to lean on the "3rd string" guy in at least some key spots and he needs to be good. There is absolutely not reason to assume that Barrett or Hunter can be depended upon. In fact, statistically, at least one of them won't be, or will have some reason they don't stick as a contributor. Boobie Whitlow, DJ Williams, Kam Martin (GOD I wish he could've gotten a chance with this staff), Kam Pettway, Roc Thomas, Jovon Robinson, Asa Martin... the list goes on... and some of those guys actually even produced as RB1 for a time before ending their time here prematurely. 

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I will not be shocked if they bring in another RB because 4 is a bare minimum number for bodies at that position. 

Exactly. Especially when one of them is a true freshman (not even officially listed on the roster yet!) who was not highly recruited and the other is a guy who hasn't played the position in 3 years. 

Also, what about next year? Man, I just thought about it. Worm and Barrett will be gone. If we get a transfer in now, he's got a year in the system and could very feasibly be an incredibly important RB2 next year with only 2 other RBs returning and one of them we know nothing about as a college football player. It's even more important that we get a guy in than I thought.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Every position except QB, OL and WR.

Here's the thing about RB, though. It's not really "3rd string". It's not like some other positions where one guy takes the vast majority of the snaps in a game. And it's not like all RBs are used the same way. We're going to lean on the "3rd string" guy in at least some key spots and he needs to be good. There is absolutely not reason to assume that Barrett or Hunter can be depended upon. In fact, statistically, at least one of them won't be, or will have some reason they don't stick as a contributor. Boobie Whitlow, DJ Williams, Kam Martin (GOD I wish he could've gotten a chance with this staff), Kam Pettway, Roc Thomas, Jovon Robinson, Asa Martin... the list goes on... and some of those guys actually even produced as RB1 for a time before ending their time here prematurely. 

Exactly. Especially when one of them is a true freshman (not even officially listed on the roster yet!) who was not highly recruited and the other is a guy who hasn't played the position in 3 years. 

Also, what about next year? Man, I just thought about it. Worm and Barrett will be gone. If we get a transfer in now, he's got a year in the system and could very feasibly be an incredibly important RB2 next year with only 2 other RBs returning and one of them we know nothing about as a college football player. It's even more important that we get a guy in than I thought.

We do need a transfer back that can help out on depth and has versatility too for catching passes. What we also need is to recruit a stud RB for 2022, so that when 2 of our RBs leave, we will have Tank in his last year, then the 2022 RB and TR RB competing for that #2 spot, and we will be in good shape for the next 3-4 years at RB...

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

We do need a transfer back that can help out on depth and has versatility too for catching passes. What we also need is to recruit a stud RB for 2022, so that when 2 of our RBs leave, we will have Tank in his last year, then the 2022 RB and TR RB competing for that #2 spot, and we will be in good shape for the next 3-4 years at RB...

I think the RB platoon has a lot to prove this season in order for stud RB's for the '22 signing class will seriously sign with AU.  The 5* studs want to proven system  and coaching staff wherever they choose to play.  

Here's to the oline performing at a top level helping a heavy run game produce a 1,000 yrd rusher this year.  That will draw some attention from the 5*'s. 

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I think the RB platoon has a lot to prove this season in order for stud RB's for the '22 signing class will seriously sign with AU.  The 5* studs want to proven system  and coaching staff wherever they choose to play.  

Here's to the oline performing at a top level helping a heavy run game produce a 1,000 yrd rusher this year.  That will draw some attention from the 5*'s. 

You're right, but I think they'll see what they want to see. And they'll hear what they want to hear. Fun fact: Every year that Harsin was head coach at Boise, RB1 had over 1,000 yards and went for over 5 yards per carry. The list includes Jay Ajayi and Alexander Mattison. And Caddy is our RB coach. I'd honestly be surprised if our recruiting at the position doesn't improve, especially if Worm can produce, too.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

You're right, but I think they'll see what they want to see. And they'll hear what they want to hear. Fun fact: Every year that Harsin was head coach at Boise, RB1 had over 1,000 yards and went for over 5 yards per carry. The list includes Jay Ajayi and Alexander Mattison. And Caddy is our RB coach. I'd honestly be surprised if our recruiting at the position doesn't improve, especially if Worm can produce, too.

I'm ready to see Harsin get it done here.  It's been too long since AU has turned out a 1,000 yrd rusher and they lost their "RBU" luster because of it.  Now that title been earned by mail rivals.  Unacceptable at a place like Auburn. 

I've only seen the Aday hilight video.  It looked like most Aday's I've seen for the last 50 years. Other than RB, hard to tell what we have.  As for DB, a Pop Warner secondary could look good against Nix and this WR group.  Long season ahead, but that is ok.  I think Harsin will need at least 4 years to build something close to a contending team.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No way a difference making RB transfers to AU to play 3rd string behind Tank and Worm.  

"Difference making", no. But a better than or at least equivalent depth guy to Barrett or Hunter seems entirely plausible to me. Same situation as with the OL. Also, with Worm and Barrett being seniors, RB2 is wide open next year. And RB1 is wide open the year after that unless something unusual happens with Tank. Seems like some transfers are happening earlier and with more eligibility remaining, like that safety from Vandy. Depends on inventory and demand elsewhere, of course, but we can improve our situation with a transfer IMO.

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"Difference making", no. But a better than or at least equivalent depth guy to Barrett or Hunter seems entirely plausible to me. Same situation as with the OL. Also, with Worm and Barrett being seniors, RB2 is wide open next year. And RB1 is wide open the year after that unless something unusual happens with Tank. Seems like some transfers are happening earlier and with more eligibility remaining, like that safety from Vandy. Depends on inventory and demand elsewhere, of course, but we can improve our situation with a transfer IMO.

To me, if equivalent, then they bring nothing better. I'd rather invest carries and experience with the freshman

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me, if equivalent, then they bring nothing better. I'd rather invest carries and experience with the freshman

The something better, to me, is 5 bodies instead of 4. I get the investment but there might come a time this season when we're depending on that guy to win games. We've been in that situation several times in recent years. 

And, right now, I don't see much of a difference between the freshman and DJ Williams. (It's pretty hilarious to look back at all the bold proclamations about that guy.) And I don't see a difference in Devan Barrett 2021 and Devan Barrett 2018. What's different now is the depth at the position groups he's bounced between. 

But maybe you're hearing things about Hunter (or Barrett) that I haven't. I've heard that he's got the right attitude and all that stuff, but I don't know what he's shown post-high school, how he's going to adapt to Auburn, etc. And RB is a position that, at least at Auburn the last 10 years, carries a high attrition rate. (I forgot to add Mark-Antony Richards to my list, earlier. I'm not even going to count Malik Miller, Harold Joiner, or Alaric Williams.)

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

there might come a time this season when we're depending on that guy to win games.

Do we want it done right or do we want it right now? We're not contending for any championships or the playoffs next year. Hopefully, Harsin will use those schollys for early enrollments next year on SEC quality recruits and continue to build a foundation for the future. We can always go power I with Pegues at TB if worse comes to worse right?😁

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Do we want it done right or do we want it right now? We're not contending for any championships or the playoffs next year. Hopefully, Harsin will use those schollys for early enrollments next year on SEC quality recruits and continue to build a foundation for the future. We can always go power I with Pegues at TB if worse comes to worse right?😁

I mean, all of this is contingent upon the guy being serviceable. 

But will you feel confident going into the 2022 season with Tank Bigsby, Jarquez Hunter and whatever freshmen we can recruit? How many "SEC quality" RBs do you think we can get to sign in next year's class to fight for "3rd string" behind Tank and RS FR/SO Hunter, and then fight for "2nd string" behind Hunter for at least another year after that, if Hunter even pans out? Are you assuming that he will? Are you assuming that Tank is going to stay healthy getting 200+ carries each of the next two seasons?

We went into last season with 5 RBs. All 5 of them were presumptive "SEC quality" backs and only 1 of them was an upperclassman. Only 2 of them are left, and 1 of them is the upperclassman. And, come to think about it, a ton of people around here still don't think of him as an "SEC quality" back.

I mean, we might get lucky like we did in 2013 and 2014, when RB1 stayed healthy all of 2013, and then RB2 ended up being just as good and stayed healthy all of 2014, with both of them getting over 300 carries respectively. But that was indeed luck. 

Short, short memories around here.  

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, all of this is contingent upon the guy being serviceable. 

But will you feel confident going into the 2022 season with Tank Bigsby, Jarquez Hunter and whatever freshmen we can recruit? How many "SEC quality" RBs do you think we can get to sign in next year's class to fight for "3rd string" behind Tank and RS FR/SO Hunter, and then fight for "2nd string" behind Hunter for at least another year after that, if Hunter even pans out? Are you assuming that he will? Are you assuming that Tank is going to stay healthy getting 200+ carries each of the next two seasons?

We went into last season with 5 RBs. All 5 of them were presumptive "SEC quality" backs and only 1 of them was an upperclassman. Only 2 of them are left, and 1 of them is the upperclassman. And, come to think about it, a ton of people around here still don't think of him as an "SEC quality" back.

I mean, we might get lucky like we did in 2013 and 2014, when RB1 stayed healthy all of 2013, and then RB2 ended up being just as good and stayed healthy all of 2014, with both of them getting over 300 carries respectively. But that was indeed luck. 

Short, short memories around here.  

Yes, I would be confident with this RB group, as long as the freshman was a stud 5* that knows he will get carries and for sure take over in 2023 bc Tank will be gone. 

Now I agree that we could use a transfer RB now that has been a RB in college with some success, and doesn't mind playing behind Tank and SHivers, but will get carries bc Hunter will be pretty green not playing at the college level yet.

Archived