a question on the ncaa tourney?

aubiefifty

how do you guys feel about how far we go with alan struggling? do we make sweet sixteen? if alan gets it together do we hit the sweet sixteen or better or are there problems i do not see? thanx

Allen isn’t the biggest problem they have right now imo. I think he’s a ceiling raiser more than a floor lowerer 

I don’t think they can get past the S16 with essentially having non-assets on offense at the small forward position. Flanigan can (operative word) do greatly more than DC. So because of that, they need Flanigan to figure it out. 
there’s alot of other specific things about AF I’ve mentioned over the games that he theoretically should add that they need to make a long tournament run, but I’ll just end it at that 

• Like 1

As long as his struggling does not lead to turnovers that lead to points I think we can be fine with him struggling offensively (i.e., not really scoring). His defense is not a problem for us. We just need KD and Wendell to pick up their offensive production and for Wendell to take care of the damn ball. If those two get it together on the offensive side of the ball, we cut down the nets in April. 

The deeper into the tournament we get, the harder the competition will get. 

We have 5 guys on the court at anytime; how would you feel if only 3 are an offensive threat?  That might lead the other team to focus more on the 3 that do score and before you know it, we are in a low scoring dog fight.  Better teams will be able to focus on our 3 best scorers.  Question is, can we afford to have 2 people on the floor that do well defensively but contribute little on the offensive side.  This is the real issue, not if Flan is off. 

Look at the point production of Zep and Flan since Flan came back:

Zep            Flan
  Minutes Points   Minutes Points
2/19/2022        19     0        23      2
16-Feb-22      16     0        24      2
12-Feb-22      24     1        25    16
8-Feb-22      Did not play        28      6
5-Feb-22      Did not play        25      8
1-Feb-22        16      2        23    10
29-Jan-22      28     9        24      3
25-Jan-22      23     3        28      2
22-Jan-22      17     2        29      8
19-Jan-22      24     3        24     10
15-Jan-22      21     8        31      6
11-Jan-22      14       0        26     10
8-Jan-22      21     4        20      8
4-Jan-22       24    13        29     10
29-Dec-21      18     0        12       3
22-Dec-21      25     0         Did not play
18-Dec-21      20     5         Did not play
14-Dec-21      26     8         Did not play
11-Dec-21      27       6         Did not play

Our issue is Zep's point production fell off in Feb - something is wrong here.  Flan's point production is off 2 games.  I don't know if the issues causing this is a related.

Yes, TO's have been an issue; not with Zep and really only 1 game with Flan (Vandy).  

There could be other things to point at, but if our point production did not fall off for these 2 guys in Feb, we would be at 26-1.

Thoughts?

This team can go all the way. But starting with the sweet 16, it will be basically 50/50 games.  All the top teams have flaws of their own, most of them bigger than ours. The winner of the big dance has to be hot when it counts.  Strap in, cross your fingers, and enjoy the ride. 

• Like 1