Bite my head off and feed me to worms! The Big Question.

AURex

Okay, this is going to be a very unpopular post. I am going to be chopped up and fed to lizards.

Remember way back to last summer? There were articles about how CBP was taking a completely different approach to summer workouts and coaching?

Basically the articles were saying that, instead of coaching up the players, he was just letting them play each other, unstructured, letting them figure out themselves how best to play as a team. Anyone other than me remember that?

So here we are now with two sure fire NBA draft choices and a group of very good players surrounding them. And they look like a bunch of guys just showed up in a city park for a pickup game, just aimlessly doing their own thing out there. No coordination, no cohesive, systematic organized play.

Yes, we've all beat into the ground -- Auburn can't shoot from outside, they turn it over too much, offensive rebounding is a killer, blah, blah, blah.

But what is the root of that?

As the season progresses, other teams with less talent improve with game to game, day to day, practicing of the systematic,  coordinated, cohesive play as a team. Auburn has not. Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, have all gotten better as the season has progressed. Auburn, with just as much more more talent .... well, nope.

So, my question is, does CBP return to a more rigorously practiced summer schedule for the next year? Or will he just continue this year's experiment of letting them train themselves?

22 minutes ago, AURex said:

Okay, this is going to be a very unpopular post. I am going to be chopped up and fed to lizards.

Remember way back to last summer? There were articles about how CBP was taking a completely different approach to summer workouts and coaching?

Basically the articles were saying that, instead of coaching up the players, he was just letting them play each other, unstructured, letting them figure out themselves how best to play as a team. Anyone other than me remember that?

So here we are now with two sure fire NBA draft choices and a group of very good players surrounding them. And they look like a bunch of guys just showed up in a city park for a pickup game, just aimlessly doing their own thing out there. No coordination, no cohesive, systematic organized play.

Yes, we've all beat into the ground -- Auburn can't shoot from outside, they turn it over too much, offensive rebounding is a killer, blah, blah, blah.

But what is the root of that?

As the season progresses, other teams with less talent improve with game to game, day to day, practicing of the systematic,  coordinated, cohesive play as a team. Auburn has not. Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, have all gotten better as the season has progressed. Auburn, with just as much more more talent .... well, nope.

So, my question is, does CBP return to a more rigorously practiced summer schedule for the next year? Or will he just continue this year's experiment of letting them train themselves?

I remember this. Surely that was just a summer fad for the players to mesh. New comers getting to know the old dogs. That’s not a sustainable approach to win the big dance . 

There is actually a limit to how much the coach can interact with the players in the summer.  If your theory was right it would have been the opposite we would not be good at beginning of the season and we would get better as it became more structured. The opposite happened. Basically teams figured us out.  Play tight and physical against Smith and hope the Ref's don't call fouls, let the bad shooting guards jack up 3's so can take away the drive to basket or drive and dump for layup to Kessler and Kessler has hurt his shoulder. 

We are a good team with deficiencies really the only adjustment we can make is for one of the guards to get hot and start hitting 3's.  Last years Flanigan makes this a great team this years Flanigan makes this a good team. I am not knocking Flanigan as I think he will eventually become the player he can be but unless we get lucky it won't be this year. That said in the A&M game even though he didn't have a great game he showed some signs of getting his explosiveness back. I think at this point if he can make a couple of shots and get his confidence back we might have a chance.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There is actually a limit to how much the coach can interact with the players in the summer.  If your theory was right it would have been the opposite we would not be good at beginning of the season and we would get better as it became more structured. The opposite happened. Basically teams figured us out.  Play tight and physical against Smith and hope the Ref's don't call fouls, let the bad shooting guards jack up 3's so can take away the drive to basket or drive and dump for layup to Kessler and Kessler has hurt his shoulder. 

We are a good team with deficiencies really the only adjustment we can make is for one of the guards to get hot and start hitting 3's.  Last years Flanigan makes this a great team this years Flanigan makes this a good team. I am not knocking Flanigan as I think he will eventually become the player he can be but unless we get lucky it won't be this year. That said in the A&M game even though he didn't have a great game he showed some signs of getting his explosiveness back. I think at this point if he can make a couple of shots and get his confidence back we might have a chance.

I think he’s had his explosive back for a while now.

It’s all mental bc he’s not confident in his offensive game nor his syncing w the offense. it would be nice to see him hit some outside shots or smartly look to go inside bc he’s going to get fouled. 

12 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I remember this. Surely that was just a summer fad for the players to mesh. New comers getting to know the old dogs. That’s not a sustainable approach to win the big dance . 

Sounds like a poor approach to me. I missed that.

• Like 2

from what i have read out kids cannot just go practice whenever they want because of the womens basketball and volleyball teams all sharing. this is why they need their own court. this way a player has more chances to work on shots etc on their own time versus having a limited time to do so. this is why the new auburn mens only practice facility is so important from what i read a good while back. maybe they tried to change things up as i have no idea. but pearl just did not get dumb overnight and i believe he will learn from his mistakes. as for aurex i have no bone to pick with your opinion. it is the people on here that like to embarrass others because they are not knowledgeable about the game and or those that like to make others look stupid thinking  it makes them look smarter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was the starting lineup even here for summer workouts?  I don’t recall the timing, but some were late transfers right?  

I think it's more that we have PGs that won't make a pass to a wide open Kess or Smith when it's there and then shoot 0-fer in FGs. We  need playmakers even when they are ice cold.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I think he’s had his explosive back for a while now.

It’s all mental bc he’s not confident in his offensive game nor his syncing w the offense. it would be nice to see him hit some outside shots or smartly look to go inside bc he’s going to get fouled. 

He's not 100% He won't be that this entire year. But what people decided was his 80 is better than the other guys 100 at least on defense. They need his size. 

It's very admirable what he's doing, he gets killed for not being able to come out and beat the impossible and play like an injury never happened. Had he sat out he'd get killed for that too, just an unfortunate situation.