Arizona State

He let the pitcher warm up on the mound and then go out there and replace him before he actually starts the inning? Sounds like to me he had no intentions of changing pitchers until maybe right as their at bat of that inning finishedt and was trying to buy some more time for his new pitcher to get warm. That would be the only reason for doing something like that.

moved from basketball forum to baseball forum and merged with the thread that was already started for the series.

My mistake. Which forum did i put it in?

Been a long day studying so far. I wish I was at the game its only going on a few hundred yards away from me.

My mistake. Which forum did i put it in?

Been a long day studying so far. I wish I was at the game its only going on a few hundred yards away from me.

That is okay. You put it in the basketball forum and I figured it was by accident.

He let the pitcher warm up on the mound and then go out there and replace him before he actually starts the inning? Sounds like to me he had no intentions of changing pitchers until maybe right as their at bat of that inning finishedt and was trying to buy some more time for his new pitcher to get warm. That would be the only reason for doing something like that.

I wasn't at the game and don't know the circumstances surrounding, but it sounds like he was giving a relief pitcher time to warm up in the pen...hence the stalling...

I wasn't at the game and don't know the circumstances surrounding, but it sounds like he was giving a relief pitcher time to warm up in the pen...hence the stalling...

Im not stupid. I know exactly what he was doing, but considering the situation and the degree of delay it was absolutely unnecessary. I cant believe the umpires kept putting up with this guy. He should have been gone early in that 3rd game.

that part was understandable, it was the constant whining about the play at third when everyone in the stadium clearly saw him drop the ball. I can't believe the ump didn't throw him out.

I was just clearing things up with Ranger...as I stated, I wasn't there so I don't know...and for the record, I didn't call anyone, nor did I imply that anyone, was indeed stupid...

that coach was beyond ridiculous. I only made it for the Sunday game but wow. He got on my nerves after 2 innings. After 9, I wanted to have a few words with him.

BTW, Arizona St. has to be the slowest playing team in the history of baseball.

Isn't that what I said? :poke: I coached American Legion baseball for a few years and I umpire high school and American Legion baseball now. So, I had a pretty good idea that was what he was doing.

Mowegl, nobody was calling you stupid bro. Just a couple of us thought it was worth pointing out that what the ASU coach did was not uncommon for a coach to do. Do I like it when it happens to me? No. But from a coach's perspective, it is part of the game and is a move I have utilized before. So, I could not fault the ASU coach for doing something that just about every baseball coach at the high school level and beyond has done. Now, as far as the ASU coach's other shenanigans, I can only go by what I have heard, but it sounds like he was having a hard time dealing with his team losing an important series and acted like a total idiot in the process.

I think Mo was trying to point out that it was over the top. Its one thing to go talk to a pitcher and wait till the ump breaks up the party. Its another thing to decide to change pitchers at the beginning of the inning. Just because you suddenly decide you need to make a change doesn't mean the game waits on your pitcher to warm up. I think his point was that it was a bush league move. Its his fault that he was not thinking ahead on his pitching situation.

Yes. I know what stalling and all the other stuff is. I know no one called me stupid, but you act like I dont know what's going on. Believe it or not I have seen a baseball game once before. And yes this crossed the line. What he was doing was bush league. That has no business being in college baseball. But Im pretty sure their coach didnt care considering his general attitude towards every person inside the stadium, and hearing a few stories about what happened last year and this year after the second game. I can guarantee you wont catch Slater making a move like that. Im just glad the players put them in their place.

I think Mo was trying to point out that it was over the top. Its one thing to go talk to a pitcher and wait till the ump breaks up the party. Its another thing to decide to change pitchers at the beginning of the inning. Just because you suddenly decide you need to make a change doesn't mean the game waits on your pitcher to warm up. I think his point was that it was a bush league move. Its his fault that he was not thinking ahead on his pitching situation.

But again, just about every coach has made that same move in that same fashion. Heck, if you was able to watch every single college or MLB baseball game in any given day, you would see that same stall tactic happen at least a handful of times. When I umpire, I see it happen a few times a week. I know what the coach is doing, but he is within the rules to do it. I just do my best to hustle everything along. But, I can't fault a guy for doing something I have done as a coach and just about every coach has done. When it is done to me, I gripe about it from the dugout, but a few games later I may pull the same move myself. Nothing bush league about it at all, it is just part of the game guys. It only seems "over the top" when it is being done to you. If that is the first time you have seen that move, I am sorry, but you have not watched alot of baseball.

Regardless, nobody was saying he was stupid for being critical of it. There was no sense in taking a different point of view so personal.

But again, just about every coach has made that same move in that same fashion. Heck, if you was able to watch every single college or MLB baseball game in any given day, you would see that same stall tactic happen at least a handful of times. When I umpire, I see it happen a few times a week. I know what the coach is doing, but he is within the rules to do it. I just do my best to hustle everything along. But, I can't fault a guy for doing something I have done as a coach and just about every coach has done. When it is done to me, I gripe about it from the dugout, but a few games later I may pull the same move myself. Nothing bush league about it at all, it is just part of the game guys. It only seems "over the top" when it is being done to you. If that is the first time you have seen that move, I am sorry, but you have not watched alot of baseball.

Regardless, nobody was saying he was stupid for being critical of it. There was no sense in taking a different point of view so personal.

Ranger, I was at the game. The Arizona St. coach was very over the top. I realize it happens, but this coach did bush-league moves like this every inning. That is over the top.

Archived