Scott Sullivan coming back to AU

Sullivan to help AU pitchers

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

AUBURN - Scott Sullivan, his major league career over after nine years, will wear an Auburn uniform again next season.

Sullivan, a standout reliever at Auburn from 1991-93, pitched in the major leagues for nine seasons, seven with the Cincinnati Reds. In August, he will join Auburn baseball coach Tom Slater's staff as a volunteer assistant.

Volunteer assistants can be paid from camp proceeds and in other ways but can't be paid by the university or the athletic department.

Advertisement

Slater said Sullivan will work with pitchers and catchers.

"I am truly grateful for the opportunity to be part of the Auburn baseball program," said Sullivan, who lives in Auburn. "I am hopeful that I can be an asset to the university and can make a difference in the lives of these young men."

The Reds chose Sullivan in the second round of the 1993 major league draft after he posted a 2.55 ERA in 1993. He broke into the major leagues with the Reds in 1995 and finished his career with the Royals in 2004.

Sullivan was 40-28 for his career with a 3.98 ERA. He had nine saves.

When Slater lured Sullivan back to the school that sent him off to the big leagues, he completed a reshuffling of his coaching staff.

Sullivan replaced Karl Nonemaker and Bill Mosiello, a former manager in the Yankees organization, earlier replaced Matt Myers, who left at the end of last season and is now the pitching coach at Western Kentucky.

Slater said Sullivan and Mosiello bring valuable experience to the Auburn program.

"I think it's good for current player development as well as, obviously, good for recruiting," Slater said.

"Scott is a great guy. It's a great thing for us that he is coming."

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

AUBURN - Scott Sullivan, his major league career over after nine years, will wear an Auburn uniform again next season.

Sullivan, a standout reliever at Auburn from 1991-93, pitched in the major leagues for nine seasons, seven with the Cincinnati Reds. In August, he will join Auburn baseball coach Tom Slater's staff as a volunteer assistant.

Volunteer assistants can be paid from camp proceeds and in other ways but can't be paid by the university or the athletic department.

Advertisement

Slater said Sullivan will work with pitchers and catchers.

"I am truly grateful for the opportunity to be part of the Auburn baseball program," said Sullivan, who lives in Auburn. "I am hopeful that I can be an asset to the university and can make a difference in the lives of these young men."

The Reds chose Sullivan in the second round of the 1993 major league draft after he posted a 2.55 ERA in 1993. He broke into the major leagues with the Reds in 1995 and finished his career with the Royals in 2004.

Sullivan was 40-28 for his career with a 3.98 ERA. He had nine saves.

When Slater lured Sullivan back to the school that sent him off to the big leagues, he completed a reshuffling of his coaching staff.

Sullivan replaced Karl Nonemaker and Bill Mosiello, a former manager in the Yankees organization, earlier replaced Matt Myers, who left at the end of last season and is now the pitching coach at Western Kentucky.

Slater said Sullivan and Mosiello bring valuable experience to the Auburn program.

"I think it's good for current player development as well as, obviously, good for recruiting," Slater said.

"Scott is a great guy. It's a great thing for us that he is coming."

This could be very good as well. It looks like Slater may actually be filling some of the potholes with the AU baseball team.

Or, do you think Slater's trying to save his job?

Maybe a little of both.

Hopefully he's trying to save his job and in the process is hiring competent assistants who can get the job done.

Time will tell, I guess.

Any relation to Josh Sullivan former AU pitcher/qb?

Pat Sullivan had a younger brother who got a scholarship to Auburn as a quarterback but never quite made the grade. Josh may have been his brother. Scott Sullivan grew up in Livingston, Alabama, in his early childhood years but moved to Aliceville in Pickens County where he was an outstanding football and baseball player.

Archived