Uzomah talks recruiting

RunInRed

Since we're on the topics of Class of '11 QBs, here is a Uzomah update (post LeMay's decision). From the AJC (UGA story slant)...

C.J. Uzomah: LeMay decision does not rule out Georgia

May 3, 2010, by Chip Towers

cjUzomahUSArmy-228x300.jpg

North Gwinnett quarterback C.J. Uzomah said Monday that Georgia remains a serious contender for his services despite last Friday’s news that bluechip prospect Christian LeMay has already accepted a scholarship offer from the Bulldogs.

Uzomah, arguably the top quarterback in Georgia this year, has long held a scholarship offer from the Bulldogs. So has Wilcox County’s Nick Marshall, Uzomah’s chief competition as the state’s best of the best. LeMay, of Matthews, N.C., is the No. 2-ranked quarterback in America per Scout.com.

Georgia coach Mark Richt has been quoted as saying the Bulldogs do not plan to sign more than one quarterback in the Class of 2011. But it’s Uzomah’s understanding they might sign two quarterbacks now that the status of backup Logan Gray has become murky.

“I’ve actually been talking to [Georgia commitment] Christian Conley and he was saying he talked to [uGA assistant] Coach [stacy] Searels and he said they probably were going to sign two quarterbacks just because of what has been going on with Gray,” said Uzomah, one of 22 Georgia players who earned U.S. Army All-America nominations on Monday at the Fox Sports Grill at Atlantic Station.

“As far as LeMay committing, he is a great quarterback and everything. As far as affecting my decision, it might a little bit. But I highly doubt it because football is all about competition, especially at quarterback. Playing quarterback, not everybody in the nation can do it. As my dad says, if it was easy everybody would do it. Competition breeds athletes. So I don’t think it will be that big of a factor for me.”

Uzomah has the luxury of being able to pick and choose. The 6-foot-6 (he has grown an inch since last season), 235-pound signal-caller has 18 scholarship offers to date, most all of them of the major college football power variety.

A recent story on a recruiting website listed a top six of Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, LSU, Miami and Kentucky for Uzomah. But he said Monday he hasn’t yet reached the point of whittling down to finalists.

“I don’t have a top-whatever right now,” Uzomah said. “But I do plan to have one hopefully soon, maybe by the end of spring practice. I’d like to narrow it down to three or a little bit more manageable number. I would like to make a commitment before the season because I want to focus on my senior season. That’s where I am right now.”

One thing that is changed is that everybody is now recruiting Uzomah strictly as a quarterback. A one-time wide receiver/tight end, he was once labeled as the proverbial “athlete.”

Read more...

Previous Thread on 2011 QBs: http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=65422

• 2 months later...

Scout reports C.J. is down to three: Auburn, Florida and LSU. AU and LSU lead.

179924.jpg

C.J. Uzomah, Athlete

Suwannee, GA

6'5 / 230 / 4.7

Offers: Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Maryland, Miami (Fl.), North Carolina, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, South Florida, Tennessee and Vanderbilt, among others.

Here's one I really hope signs with Auburn. He's a great all-around athlete at 6' 5", 230 and could play a number of positions.

Also, the AJC is calling him the #1 or 2 QB prospect in Georgia. It wouldn't hurt us to have a guy like this come in and compete with Frazier at QB.

I like our chances if it comes down to AU and LSU. Not sure where UF figures into his recruiting, or what their plans for him might be.

Just a guess but I think if he signed with AU, he'd most likely get his best shot at another position...

I believe we're recruiting him as a TE at this point. I think he'd make a great get at TE if we miss out on Fulse.

Two TE's are better than one!

Archived