Marcus Roberson commits to Auburn (UPDATED - AU rescinds offer)

RunInRed

87447089.png

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000180364100

MARCUSROBERSON11F524_150.JPG

Marcus Roberson, DB

Ft. Lauderdale, FL (St. Thomas Aquinas)

6'1 / 170 / 4.52

Offers (20+):

Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Illinois, Louisville, LSU, Miami (Fl.), Minnesota, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Purdue, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCF, USC, Wake Forest, Western Michigan and Wisconsin, among others.

Rankings:

Rivals: 4-Star (6.0), No. 2 rated CB, No. 12 in the state of Florida, No. 37 overall prospect in the country (Rivals100 member)

247Sports: 4-star (95), No. 11 rated CB, No. 23 in the state of Florida, No. 112 overall prospect in the country (The 247 member)

Scout: 4-star, No. 4 rated S

Roberson can be considered a big corner or a thin safety depending on where he ends up playing. He is outstanding in coverage, althought he gets a little too close with his hands on jerseys at times. He is physical with the receivers and can turn and run with them well. Should become more of a factor against the run as he gains size and strength in the weight room, but with his height and frame, his size overall is a plus.

http://auburn.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=8&c=1&nid=4795802

Notes:

- St. Thomas Aquinas is the alma mater of 2008 signees Philip-Pierre Louis and Christian Thompson and 2007 signees Wes Byrum and Jermaine Johnson

- His coach (and uncle) is former AU player Otis Mounds

- Tommy Thigpen is lead recruiter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNkiGmPgwB0

Previous Threads on Roberson:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rivals has an update posted. It's a premium article but the intro says it all: AU leads. Roberson is expected to announce his decision before the season.

This would be a big big get.

Very nice.

Rose, Florence, Lanier, Roberson and maybe one or two more DB's would make a fantastic class. I didn't add Swain because I really think he ends up at LB with his size, but feel free to add him to your own personal list.

Auburn Leads for Roberson

July 25, 2010 by Justin Wells

I’m not sure if any high school football prospect in the state of Florida has had as much of a rise in recruiting circles over the past six months as Marcus Roberson (6-1, 175, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./St. Thomas Aquinas). At the Gridiron Kings 7-on-7 tournament (put on by the fine folks at ESPN Rise) which was held this weekend, Roberson was integral part of the dominant Team Southeast defense, a group which gave up only six points in their final three contests — not an easy feat in the world of 7-on-7 play. Roberson earned all-tournament honors as the Southeast team walked away with an easy 36-0 victory in championship game over Team Southwest at the ESPN Wide World of Sports in Lake Buena Vista.

In regards to his recruitment, Roberson has been all over the map. Early on he favored Texas A&M. Following a June visit to Gainesville, the Gators moved squarely into the driver’s seat for his commitment, and figured to reel him in before the season starts in August. Now, it appears Roberson is leaning in a different direction once again.

“It’s Auburn,” Roberson said when prompted for a leader on Sunday evening. “Everything about it is great, the team, the people, and the coaches.”

Why did the Tigers make such a move for one of the top cornerback prospects in the entire country? At Auburn, Roberson knows he will have a shot at starting out at the position he prefers, while Florida has mentioned two possibilities for where he could play over the course of his recruitment.

“Auburn wants me at cornerback,” Roberson explained. “Florida told me safety at first. Then they said I could play cornerback. I’m not real sure about all of that.”

While the Gators are still working hard to land Roberson’s services, it appears they are fighting an uphill battle at this point. Although Roberson attended Friday Night Lights in Gainesville last weekend, it was not enough to move Auburn off the top slot. Furthermore, Roberson is planning just one more trip before he makes a decision — and it’s not to Gainesville.

“I’m not sure if there will be enough time (for a visit to Florida),” he said. “We might be flying back to Alabama to take another visit (to Auburn).”

And so, while Roberson remains uncommitted for the time being, it appears the Tigers have moved very close to securing the services of one of the top defensive back prospects in the entire Southeast.

http://www.soflafootball.com/homepage-hot-news/auburn-leads-for-roberson

Laura McKeeman of Fox Sports/Scout.com is reporting Roberson will not be able to make the trip up to AU with his family this weekend, as originally planned, due to a conflict with his team. However, he plans to return in the fall and says we still lead.

• 2 weeks later...

AUC premium article but headline and intro says a lot...

AU the 'perfect place' for Roberson

By Bryan Matthews, Senior Writer

Marcus Roberson, who is ranked by several recruiting services as one of the nation’s top cornerbacks, left an Auburn camp earlier this summer with the Tigers as his leader. A month later, little has changed.

http://auburnundercover.com/news/articles/2010/8/13/roberson-auburn-the-perfect-place-for-me

A commitment could come sooner rather than later...

• 5 months later...

Committed?

CB Marcus Roberson has committed to #Auburn per his facebook page. http://tinyurl.com/4q3azkv

"I commited to Auburn...i appreciate every school for recruiting me and i think all of them r great places." - Marcus Roberson

@AuburnEagle

Nation's No. 2 cornerback Marcus Roberson commits to Auburn, say recruiting websites.

@AUGoldMine

Committed?

CB Marcus Roberson has committed to #Auburn per his facebook page. http://tinyurl.com/4q3azkv

"I commited to Auburn...i appreciate every school for recruiting me and i think all of them r great places." - Marcus Roberson

@AuburnEagle

That would be great, hopefully it's going to happen.

Committed?

@AuburnEagle

Yeah he committed to Auburn this morning. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!

Well then. I didn't think it was going to happen because too many folks were talking about it. What the heck do I know.

Here's to you Mr. Roberson! War Eagle!

Here is a free article from Scout on Roberson.

I found this analysis very interesting...

Overall, I like him a little more as a safety. He really closes on the ball well, he has very good range in the secondary, and he fills alleys nicely when playing off the ball. He will be an extra man who can make solo tackles in run support and he will make some big hits when guys go across the middle as well. The bottom line is, he plays better when moving forward than he does when asked to go backwards. He is just much more natural closing on the ball.

With Swain and most likely Florence in fold, you would think the coaches see him filling the CB role.

Here is a free article from Scout on Roberson.

I found this analysis very interesting...

Overall, I like him a little more as a safety. He really closes on the ball well, he has very good range in the secondary, and he fills alleys nicely when playing off the ball. He will be an extra man who can make solo tackles in run support and he will make some big hits when guys go across the middle as well. The bottom line is, he plays better when moving forward than he does when asked to go backwards. He is just much more natural closing on the ball.

With Swain and most likely Florence in fold, you would think the coaches see him filling the CB role.

Well that may have something to do with him only being a starter in high school for 1 full season.

Archived