Anthony Swain commits to AU!

RunInRed

Gadsden City safety Anthony Swain commits to Auburn

By Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News

Anthony Swain turned an unofficial visit to Auburn into an official commitment Saturday.

That's when the 6-foot-3, 215-pound safety from Gadsden City High School said he would sign with the Tigers next February. He's Auburn's third commitment for the 2011 signing class.

"Now I can just work on next season, and make my team better,'' Swain said.

Swain was part of Junior Day, which attracted approximately 115 high school players who watched Auburn practice in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Swain also visited the campus in February.

"Today I knew I was going to make a decision before I got here,'' he said. "My dad and I talked about it a couple of weeks ago and I told him I wanted to commit early."

Swain said he also had offers from Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Clemson and Southern Miss, among others.

He said Auburn's message was simple: "They just told me I'm a good player and I'd fit in."

Auburn's other commitments are offensive lineman Spencer Region from Cullman and junior college defensive back Izauea Lanier.

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/03/gadsden_city_safety_anthony_sw.html

In-state safety commits

Bryan Matthews - The Auburn Sports Blog

swain11+410.jpg

Anthony Swain already knew Saturday was going to be a big day.

Shortly after arriving in Auburn, the Gadsden (Ala.) City safety let the Tiger coaching staff know some big news.

“I committed. I’m going to be an Auburn Tiger,” Swain said. “I told Coach Thigpen first. I actually made it official when I told Coach Chizik today.”

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Swain said he knew Auburn was the right place for him when he visited for the first time back in February.

“The first time I came down here, that’s when I fell in love with the school,” he said. “They just made me feel at home. That’s all I can say.

“Today, I knew I was going to make the decision before I got here.”

Swain credited Auburn’s coaching staff for making the difference.

“These coaches know what they’re doing,” he said. “They got it. They’re going to take care of me.

“It feels like I’m at home when I’m down here.”

Swain said Auburn is recruiting him as a safety. He said he chose the Tigers over offers from Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and Clemson.

Swain said he wasn’t sure if he would visit other schools.

http://theauburnsportsblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/in-state-safety-commits.html

Welcome to the fold, Anthony. Another big pick-up early in the recruiting season. This certainly looks to be another great year for the good guys.

Thats a BIG safety. any chance he moves to LB?

I don't think think the answer to that question will ever be a definite "no" as long as CGC is around.

AU breaks through in Gadsden...

Over the past several seasons, Alabama has plucked some of the state’s top overall prospects out of Gadsden City High School.

But this year, Auburn has stepped in to grab Gadsden City safety Anthony Swain, who became the Tigers’ third commitment for 2001 on Mar. 27.

“We’re very excited that he committed to Auburn,” Gadsden City head coach Joe Billingsley said. “It’s a compliment to them and it means a lot to us.”

Alabama signed cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and wide receiver Kendall Kelly out of Gadsden in 2009 and linebacker Jerrell Harris in 2008. Current Gadsden City wide receiver Daryl Collins is committed to the Tide.

But all the Gadsden City Bama players couldn’t sway Swain away from Auburn.

“Anthony and his family have always been Auburn fans,” Billingsley said. “I think the job Coach Chizik and his staff have done since they’ve been there and how they’re recruiting is exemplary.

“I think it was easy for Anthony to commit to Auburn and it was easy for us. We want our kids to go where they feel comfortable. We’ve had a few go to Alabama and one committed to them now. I think both programs are really rising and it’s a credit to both Universities.”

Billingsley said Swain is fully recovered from broken foot that forced him out of Gadsden’s final seven games last fall. When he was in the lineup, Swain certainly made an impact.

“He covers really well and he hits with an impact,” Billingsley said. “He fills the alley for us very well. With his size and athletic ability he breaks on the ball well but he also has the ability to step up and make the big hit. He knocked a lot of balls loose.”

Billingsley said the 6-foot-3 Swain, who is up to 217 pounds, has the ability to play safety on the next level even though he’s already bigger than some of AU’s current linebackers.

“I know they’re probably recruiting him as a safety and hope he stays as physical as he is with the same athletic ability and movement that he has,” Billingsley said. “He probably does have the potential to get bigger and play (linebacker) but I know he loves to play safety.

“He will probably do whatever it takes to keep his weight down or at least stay as mobile as he is right now.”

But it’s off the field where Swain really shines according to Billingsley.

“The most impressive thing about Anthony is how over the last couple of years he’s grown as an individual -- his character, his work ethic. He’s just a great kid and comes from a great family,” he said.

Billingsley said Swain is on track to be a full qualifier.

http://theauburnsportsblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/breaking-through-in-gadsden.html

AU breaks through in Gadsden...

Over the past several seasons, Alabama has plucked some of the state’s top overall prospects out of Gadsden City High School.

But this year, Auburn has stepped in to grab Gadsden City safety Anthony Swain, who became the Tigers’ third commitment for 2001 on Mar. 27.

“We’re very excited that he committed to Auburn,” Gadsden City head coach Joe Billingsley said. “It’s a compliment to them and it means a lot to us.”

Alabama signed cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and wide receiver Kendall Kelly out of Gadsden in 2009 and linebacker Jerrell Harris in 2008. Current Gadsden City wide receiver Daryl Collins is committed to the Tide.

But all the Gadsden City Bama players couldn’t sway Swain away from Auburn.

http://theauburnsportsblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/breaking-through-in-gadsden.html

Does this mean the automobile market is in slump in Gadsden? :big::poke:

Archived