Does Kerry Understand

Tigermike

Do we really need to go into National Security? For the war/against the war, for troup redeployment/against redeployment, for funding/against funding, Iraq is the wrong war at the wrong time/knowing what I know today I would vote for it again

and on and on and on........................

Al, Here is an exercise that you can research and end all of the republican doubt about Kerry's true core beliefs. John Kerry has been in the US senate for 20 years, could you please provide us a list of every major bill that he either authored of co-authored to give us some insight on his true beliefs.

Please enlighten us........can't find any?........ what the hell has he been doing for 20 years?

The only problem is that at one time or anothe he has also been against all of that stuff.  Again please let us know where his true core beliefs lie.

Such as?

Please provide me with any tax cut that Kerry has ever voted for. He now claims that he will cut middle class taxes, but has never to my knowledge ever voted for a tac cut on anyone in the middle class. He says he will do it now because the polls tell him that undecideds want to hear it.

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

Thanks for the links. There were lots of his votes regarding fiscal issues, but not one vote for an actual tax cut that passed into law as far as I could tell. Examples: the last link was for a bill to provide temp business tax breaks & extend unemployment insurance another 13 weeks in 2002. Cost = $51.2 Billion. This bill becomes understandable considering it was passed in the wake of 9-11-01, but still ... anything costing +$50 B can't be considered a tax cut. Also, there was a bill that passed the Senate 100-0 to allow SS recipients to earn money without a reduction in their SS benefits. Noble thought but the net effect of the bill is to increase the amount of federal dollars spent on SS -- no way you can consider that a tax cut, either.

Want to try again, Al?

Thanks for the links. There were lots of his votes regarding fiscal issues, but not one vote for an actual tax cut that passed into law as far as I could tell. Examples: the last link was for a bill to provide temp business tax breaks & extend unemployment insurance another 13 weeks in 2002. Cost = $51.2 Billion. This bill becomes understandable considering it was passed in the wake of 9-11-01, but still ... anything costing +$50 B can't be considered a tax cut. Also, there was a bill that passed the Senate 100-0 to allow SS recipients to earn money without a reduction in their SS benefits. Noble thought but the net effect of the bill is to increase the amount of federal dollars spent on SS -- no way you can consider that a tax cut, either.

Want to try again, Al?

I'm sorry, Loggerhead. I seem to be stepping all over your toes lately. But, well, wait just a second. Let's look back. AU Tailgating Rules said, "Please provide me with any tax cut that Kerry has ever voted for." He then said, "He now claims that he will cut middle class taxes, but has never to my knowledge ever voted for a tac cut on anyone in the middle class." While I didn't look into the specifics of the tax cuts he voted for, I'm sure some included the middle class. I included other legislation he voted for that wasn't income tax-cut related, but certainly reduced one form of tax burden or another. I'm sorry you didn't think they should count. I'll tell you that my mom sure does, especially the one that let's her earn a little more money from a job without cutting into her SS benefits. I'm also sorry that some of the tax cuts he voted for didn't make it into law. But, since that wasn't the criteria that the Tailgater gave me, I don't think I need to try again.

Al, You were able to find a couple votes that Kerry made for tax cuts. A couple of observations, mostly made on Dem. versions of deeper cuts proposed by the Republicans, mostly unpassed, and hardly a CAREER record or a solid stance on lowering taxes on the middle class or anyone else for that matter.

Yes you found a couple, I concede, pretty good tax cutting record for his 20 years in the senate. With only these few votes I still hold the view that Kerry's new tax talk is solely for the purpose of trying to make himself look less liberal and garnering a few more "swing" votes.

Al, You were able to find a couple votes that Kerry made for tax cuts. A couple of observations, mostly made on Dem. versions of deeper cuts proposed by the Republicans, mostly unpassed, and hardly a CAREER record or a solid stance on lowering taxes on the middle class or anyone else for that matter.

Yes you found a couple, I concede, pretty good tax cutting record for his 20 years in the senate. With only these few votes I still hold the view that Kerry's new tax talk is solely for the purpose of trying to make himself look less liberal and garnering a few more "swing" votes.

See, here is the problem with what the GOP et al have been doing. They've told you he voted to INCREASE taxes X times over and over and that's what you believe. They say he voted for an increase because he voted for less of a decrease than another plan called for. :roll: Hopefully, now you've seen that he's voted for different types of tax cuts, although maybe not as big as you would like, he has voted for tax cuts.

3 votes in 20 years does not make your point AL, nor does it make Kerry a tax cutter. When looking at Kerry to make a decision on his probable tendencies once he were to take office, you must evaluate his overall record in the Senate and in Mass., and his overall record as it concerns taxes could NEVER be misconstrued as a TAX CUTTER.

3 votes in 20 years does not make your point AL, nor does it make Kerry a tax cutter. When looking at Kerry to make a decision on his probable tendencies once he were to take office, you must evaluate his overall record in the Senate and in Mass., and his overall record as it concerns taxes could NEVER be misconstrued as a TAX CUTTER.

He's made it clear that if you're in the top 1% you're not going to get a tax cut but an increase. He wants to shift some of the burden away from the middle class. He doesn't claim to want to do away with taxes and I don't have the impression that he will. You seem to think his campaign is about slashing taxes. It's not.

Because the top 1% of tax payers don't share enough of the burden already... :rolleyes:

Because the top 1% of taxpayers can afford more of the burden. :roll:

Al,

Just wanted to let you know I'm haven't deserted you or the liberal cause--and I will still proudly be voting for Kerry in November.

I'm just too busy currently to take much time out for this forum. [i've also gotten rather tired of debating pretty much the same old topics over & over when it's abundantly obvious no one--myself or others--is going to change his/her opinion or vote because of it, but that's another issue.]

I'll be back when I have more time and energy--the debates may not accomplish anything, but they can be fun at times. Meanwhile, keep up the fight!

Archived