Visits on the final weekend before Signing Day

DunderMifflin

What has happened in recruiting over the years to change the meaning of that final weekend before Signing Day?

It always used to seem like that weekend ended up being a mix of guys who knew they were going to school X but they visited school Y as a favor to their high school coach, and guys who were coming in just because, "Coach ___ has been recruiting me for three years and I promised him the last visit."  It just always seemed like guys who came in on the last weekend were guys you had no chance at or were making a desperate attempt to sign.

I realize it sounds good to get the last word in before the dead period, but it seemed like most coaches used to take the approach that you wanted to be one of those first couple of visits because then everybody else was compared to you.  It also meant that you got a kid before all of the royal treatment stuff got tiring after three or four weeks in a row.  Guys get tired of traveling to different campuses and having weekends packed with activities, and by that last weekend they are just not feeling it anymore.

What has changed?  Or maybe it is that our coaching staff has changed?  Something has because not only does this weekend appear to actually mean something, it really could be huge.  I may be wrong but I don't think these are guys who we have no shot at.

If we can get them on the Plains, we can change their minds!

Have a great weekend coaches and recruiting staff - the Auburn Family is pulling for you!!

:we:

What has changed?

TV exposure to recruiting has changed. Big Time Recruits want to announce on national tv on ESPNU or ESPN.

Which recruits are suppose to make it this coming weekend? Sorry only my second post on here. On my phone so I'm not sure if I did it rite.

Which recruits are suppose to make it this coming weekend? Sorry only my second post on here. On my phone so I'm not sure if I did it rite.

The final list has not been made/released. Off the top of my head Crowell, Kouandjio, Roberson, Wright.

The final list has not been made/released. Off the top of my head Crowell, Kouandjio, Roberson, Wright.
Thanks and War Eagle

Pull out the big guns for this one.

1) go up into the clock tower at Samford Hall-I've been up there because of SOS (transfer orientation program, like Camp War Eagle) and it's awesome

2) toss a football and hang out with current players when available

3) take a look and maybe hold at our nice crystal football that we'll have more than one of soon.

Take your pick.

:wareagle:

Pull out the big guns for this one.

1) go up into the clock tower at Samford Hall-I've been up there because of SOS (transfer orientation program, like Camp War Eagle) and it's awesome

2) toss a football and hang out with current players when available

3) take a look and maybe hold at our nice crystal football that we'll have more than one of soon.

Take your pick.

:wareagle:

4) show em three Heismans one from just last year from a player who spent only one season at AU

5) show em two Lombardi awards one from last year from a guy spent two years on the Plains the other from the Dline coach.

That's because anybody that shows up on our campus, with our coaching staff, could at any time fall in love with what we all know.... and switch.

Huge week for the Tigers in recruiting. Looks like JUCO DT Johnathan Jenkins may forgo a trip to Gainesville and instead make official visit to Auburn. DE Ray Drew expected to announce his plans on Friday. DT Gabe Wright, RB Isiah Crowell, CB Marcus Roberson, OT Cyrus Kouandijo scheduled in town this weekend. Things look great with DB Erique Florence, RB Tre Mason and TE Brandon Fulse.

Huge week for the Tigers in recruiting. Looks like JUCO DT Johnathan Jenkins may forgo a trip to Gainesville and instead make official visit to Auburn. DE Ray Drew expected to announce his plans on Friday. DT Gabe Wright, RB Isiah Crowell, CB Marcus Roberson, OT Cyrus Kouandijo scheduled in town this weekend. Things look great with DB Erique Florence, RB Tre Mason and TE Brandon Fulse.

Where is the info on Jenkins coming to AU this weekend instead of Gainesnille coming from?

Our coaches dont bring in guys that they think auburn has no chance of signing.

I agree and that is what I am asking.  I don't recall it always being this way where the last weekend of official visits really mattered. 

Where is the info on Jenkins coming to AU this weekend instead of Gainesnille coming from?

It came from The Recruiting Eagle but it said he "MAY" forgo his visit to Florida.

With the recent news that Crowell has canceled his visit, maybe nothing has really changed after all.  I still think this will be a big weekend for AU, but the last weekend still seems like a time when you are trying to flip a guy or make a desperate shot at a guy who might be leaning elsewhere.

I hope we can get Crowell in but if I am Georgia I do whatever I can to keep him from taking that trip.

With the recent news that Crowell has canceled his visit, maybe nothing has really changed after all.  I still think this will be a big weekend for AU, but the last weekend still seems like a time when you are trying to flip a guy or make a desperate shot at a guy who might be leaning elsewhere.

I hope we can get Crowell in but if I am Georgia I do whatever I can to keep him from taking that trip.

not officially cancelled yet. It's only rumblings of it being cancelled at this point.

where did that come from?? haven't heard anything like that.

Jamie Newberg tweeted that there are "rumblings" of it happening.

Lets hope he is wrong

I'd rather have Isaiah Crowell himself say it before I believe anything.

I'd rather have Isaiah Crowell himself say it before I believe anything.

^^^^^^^ This....

I don't believe rumblings of anything....except gas.  :rolleyes:

Give me something where it has been made official and I will take that.

Marcus Roberson is making his visit to Auburn? I never heard about this. He's already had his official visit down here.

Marcus Roberson is making his visit to Auburn? I never heard about this. He's already had his official visit down here.

ST said it the day after Roberson committed to Tech.

Archived