Gus Malzahn 1st down production

StatTiger

Here is the 1st down averages under Gus Malzahn...

YPP = Yards per play

YPR = Yards per run

YPPA = Yards per pass attempt

2006: 6.39 YPP / 77.3% run / 6.41 YPR / 6.31 YPPA

2007: 6.95 YPP / 61.3% run / 5.64 YPR / 9.03 YPPA

2008: 7.17 YPP / 75.3% run / 5.91 YPR / 11.00 YPPA

2009: 5.68 YPP / 75.4% run / 5.28 YPR / 6.92 YPPA

2010: 6.88 YPP / 78.1% run / 6.07 YPR / 9.76 YPPA

During an interview with Gus Malzahn (2010 season), he was asked if he recalled a season, where he ran the ball this much. He told the reporter, "I like to run the ball". The reporters around him laughed, believing he was joking around. Malzahn responded again, "seriously, I really like to run the football".

I know some are expecting to see a major change in the run-pass ratio but I don't believe it will take place on first down. Overall, Auburn will likely be more pass-friendly than 2010 but I still see Auburn running the football on 1st down in the 70 percent range. When you can average well over 4.5 yards per rush on first down, you're off to a solid start. Malzahn's worst season, running the football on first down was 2009, when the Tigers averaged 5.28 yards per rush.

Good grief! With stats like that, I'd like to run the ball too!  :thumbsup:

The average fan and most of the media refer to his offense as a "spread" offense, which hints to being a pass oriented offense. In reality, his offense is power-run / play-action offense, which in reality is a "traditional" styled offense. He just happens to keep his QB in the shotgun the majority of the time.

Good Job as always Stat! Do you have anything in the works comparing the defensive "production" between the 1st and 2nd halves? It would be interesting to see how they used different packages. Maybe it was just me, but when we ran the "Bear" Defense covering the guards with with out DT it seemed like it fit our personel?? Again, Good Job!  :wareagle:

Good Job as always Stat! Do you have anything in the works comparing the defensive "production" between the 1st and 2nd halves? It would be interesting to see how they used different packages. Maybe it was just me, but when we ran the "Bear" Defense covering the guards with with out DT it seemed like it fit our personel?? Again, Good Job!  :wareagle:

Dropped the "bear" defense on Bama in 2009 and it was a thing of beauty. This season, we saw the bear, 4-4 stack and some 3-4 look. The difference between 1st half and 2nd half defense was like night & day. I'll drop some defensive numbers later on.

Coach Malzahn ALWAYS wants to keep the run/pass ratio as close to 50-50 as possible.

If it were to be tipped one way he'd prefer it to be in the run dept.

That being said he will exploit whatever advantage the defense concedes.

I've been watching Coach Malzahn call plays for 13 years now.

Dropped the "bear" defense on Bama in 2009 and it was a thing of beauty. This season, we saw the bear, 4-4 stack and some 3-4 look. The difference between 1st half and 2nd half defense was like night & day. I'll drop some defensive numbers later on.

We did run some 3-4 D?? I completely missed that....I'm a big fan of that D. I love watchin the Ravens and Steelers and Jets play D. And as we all know, Rex Ryan's dad, Buddy, was the originator of the "Bear" D.

Here is the 1st down averages under Gus Malzahn...

YPP = Yards per play

YPR = Yards per run

YPPA = Yards per pass attempt

2006: 6.39 YPP / 77.3% run / 6.41 YPR / 6.31 YPPA

2007: 6.95 YPP / 61.3% run / 5.64 YPR / 9.03 YPPA

2008: 7.17 YPP / 75.3% run / 5.91 YPR / 11.00 YPPA

2009: 5.68 YPP / 75.4% run / 5.28 YPR / 6.92 YPPA

2010: 6.88 YPP / 78.1% run / 6.07 YPR / 9.76 YPPA

My favorite thing about this chart is that each year, within a single program, his numbers go up.  If that holds true, next year should be a lot of fun.  Love to see us surpass the Tulsa 7.17 YPP on 1st down.

So Stat... what YPP average on 1st down = unstoppable? :)

Fantastic breakdown Stat. With a youthful O-line, I would expect the run blocking to be smoother than the pass protection, especially early in the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see 75-80% runs on 1st down next year as well to try and keep our offense on schedule. And the 1st down pass plays will probably feature WR screens and the occasional play-action deep ball.

As fun as it was to watch Cam run past, around, over, and through people this season, I'm even more excited to see the wrinkles that CGM inserts into the 2011 offense. We'll probably suffer from inconsistency due to so many new players out there, but we'll be incredibly dynamic with all of the weapons we'll have on the field.

I'm hopeful that we're gonna see a lot of  :tdau: next season  :we:

Great I'm already looking forward to it!I think we may surprise some folks this year with our D.

Fantastic breakdown Stat. With a youthful O-line, I would expect the run blocking to be smoother than the pass protection, especially early in the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see 75-80% runs on 1st down next year as well to try and keep our offense on schedule. And the 1st down pass plays will probably feature WR screens and the occasional play-action deep ball.

As fun as it was to watch Cam run past, around, over, and through people this season, I'm even more excited to see the wrinkles that CGM inserts into the 2011 offense. We'll probably suffer from inconsistency due to so many new players out there, but we'll be incredibly dynamic with all of the weapons we'll have on the field.

I'm hopeful that we're gonna see a lot of  :tdau: next season  :we:

Welcome to the board, philly.

War Eagle

We did run some 3-4 D?? I completely missed that....I'm a big fan of that D. I love watchin the Ravens and Steelers and Jets play D. And as we all know, Rex Ryan's dad, Buddy, was the originator of the "Bear" D.

bcsdef34.jpg

I have said before that I believe Auburn will still run the football effectively... I just think the big difference will be the fact that Malzahn will become more balanced in his play calls.

Auburn could do whatever they wanted with Newton in 2010... I think you will see more balance in 2011 with a good mixture of short passes and runs to keep the defense honest.

I just have to believe that Trotter is just as capable as Newton in the short passing game... he might even have a chance to be more efficient.

Good grief! With stats like that, I'd like to run the ball too!  :thumbsup:

The average fan and most of the media refer to his offense as a "spread" offense, which hints to being a pass oriented offense. In reality, his offense is power-run / play-action offense, which in reality is a "traditional" styled offense. He just happens to keep his QB in the shotgun the majority of the time.

Oregon found out the hard way... Auburn has had 3 1,000 yard rushers in the past two seasons... Something is working.

bcsdef34.jpg

You're the best Stat! The 3-4 works better if you have a man-eater like Fairley or a "wide body" like T Cody (don't call me a bammer). I just don't think Carter and Whitaker are ready for that yet. That's why I think CTR and CGC will use the "Bear" (4-6) more this year. Good Job though, you keep the board interesting.

Coach Malzahn ALWAYS wants to keep the run/pass ratio as close to 50-50 as possible.

If it were to be tipped one way he'd prefer it to be in the run dept.

That being said he will exploit whatever advantage the defense concedes.

I've been watching Coach Malzahn call plays for 13 years now.

Sorry DAD, I got off topic and I always love talking D! You know better than most about CGM. The thing that has most impressed me for the last 2 years (plus Tulsa and Arky) is he will NOT let us be one dimensional! I know that we leaned on Cam toward the end of games but if the D doesn't take it away, then POUND that ROCK.  :believe:

Archived