Should Auburn Do More Recruiting in Florida

ballrun44

Of course we should.

Harder to do in a state with 7 D1 teams as opposed to a very good state in high school talent with only 2 D1 teams in Georgia.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice only 2 of those Florida teams ranked inside top 20 in recruiting this year. Most of the time there are at least 3 FL teams going after the top talent. As with the state of Ga. only one competes with us on recruiting. Don't remember GT and us looking at the same prospects that often.

I don't know if it is accurate to say we haven't been recruiting Florida is hard as we should, but rather that we just haven't gotten as many as we'd like from there. Bellamy, Blakely, Steward and Hart come to mind this year.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^ ....and its not so much about us recruiting Florida very hard because we have and always will, but more about the top recruits from Florida being seriously interested in coming to AU. Winning the National Championship this past year will definitely help in our efforts to recruit Florida. 

It's funny ballrun44, I use to say the samething about why we're not recruiting in Georgia al ot more. Tubs just kept recruiting Florida real heavy and very little came from Georgia during his 10 years on the Plains.

Tubs had more connections to the southern Florida area from his time spent at The U...

As I stated earlier, I think as long as we keep pushing for top guys here at home, we can keep raiding the states around us, ie Florida, Georgia, Louisiana; and hit into Texas and some other places. We will be great in recruiting. I'd still like to see us get up into the Mid-West some.

Auburn needs to do with they have been doing and they will be fine.

this times 1000. which statistically has been 19 from Georgia and 5 from Florida the last  years.

To make you point valid it is best to include 4* players to support your thesis as well. For me personally, I like the way we are recruiting now and would not change it. I love the increased focus on Georgia. After all we have passed ge. tech in the pecking order of who gets recruits in that state and we should and are taking advantage of our proximity to that state. In the last 3 years under Chizik we have signed 19 player from georgia (6.33 per year) where as Tubs last 2 years we only signed 5 (2.5 per year). That is a big and important difference IMO.

Yes - very good points. I just used the 5* numbers to emphasize the talent in Florida. I live there now and see these kids.  Roy Finch from my current hometown (Niceville) went to Oklahoma and will likely be a national rushing leader next year as a Sophomore.  Luper looked at him but no offer from Auburn (3.2 GPA from a great family).  This is just an example.

I am very pleased with headway in Lousisiana, too and it is as talent rich as Georgia. But we seem to be only an honorable mention here in the Sunshine State.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this by now, but in case no one has...you do realize that we were focused on the top three running backs in the country that year, right? We got one of them, Dyer, and we came very, very close to getting another one, Lattimore.

Finch is a good back, sure, but the fact is that there was a running back from Arkansas, one from South Carolina, and another from Texas who were higher on our board. Being from Florida doesn't get you a scholarship offer.

I don't particularly care where they are from. If they can play and they are a good kid, then by all means let's get them. I don't care where they are at and I don't care about numbers here or numbers there. If it's an Auburn kid, let's get him out here and the school and the kid will be quite successful I bet.

I don't particularly care where they are from. If they can play and they are a good kid, then by all means let's get them. I don't care where they are at and I don't care about numbers here or numbers there. If it's an Auburn kid, let's get him out here and the school and the kid will be quite successful I bet.

Well I care. Once you get a big time school to be a pipeline its alot easier to get good players from that school in the future. That is one reason I want Yeldon from Daphne soo much.

Well I care. Once you get a big time school to be a pipeline its alot easier to get good players from that school in the future. That is one reason I want Yeldon from Daphne soo much.

I see your point, but still I want the kid for the kid and what they bring. I don't really care much about where they are from personally.

I definitely agree with starting pipelines, but that has absolutely nothing to do with me wanting Yeldon. It'd be a great side effect, sure (though we've gotten a couple of guys from Daphne over the years, most recently Robert Cooper), but I think TJ is the best back in the state and one of the best in the country. I would probably place him at a borderline 5.9/6.0 four star on rivals with the potential to play his way up to the fifth star during his senior season, and he'd be an OUTSTANDING start to the running back class, not to mention that he could easily turn into this class's version of Kiehl Frazier or Craig Sanders, the early commit who becomes the ringleader for recruiting others to Auburn.

So yeah, to be honest, starting a pipeline to Daphne, while an attractive prospect, is secondary to getting the player, IMO.

I definitely agree with starting pipelines, but that has absolutely nothing to do with me wanting Yeldon. It'd be a great side effect, sure (though we've gotten a couple of guys from Daphne over the years, most recently Robert Cooper), but I think TJ is the best back in the state and one of the best in the country. I would probably place him at a borderline 5.9/6.0 four star on rivals with the potential to play his way up to the fifth star during his senior season, and he'd be an OUTSTANDING start to the running back class, not to mention that he could easily turn into this class's version of Kiehl Frazier or Craig Sanders, the early commit who becomes the ringleader for recruiting others to Auburn.

So yeah, to be honest, starting a pipeline to Daphne, while an attractive prospect, is secondary to getting the player, IMO.

I love TJ. On pure talent I have him right behind Marshal and Gray. My point is when you add in the factor of making a pipeline out of the school in Daphne that will own the southern half of the state in 6A football for the forseeable future then TJ becomes as important if not more important of a pick up than the other 2 backs I mentioned.

So what happens if a kid that doesn't really fit what Auburn needs that season comes out of Daphne? I'm NOT putting Yeldon in that category at all. He may well indeed be the most important recruit in 2012. Do we offer the kid a scholarship to keep the pipeline? I say just go after the kid for the kid. The coaches will respect that most of all I think.

This x1000.

TJ is a stud, just picked up an offer from UF btw. That brings his early offer list to Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, FSU, and Tennessee. I really hope we get him early

So what happens if a kid that doesn't really fit what Auburn needs that season comes out of Daphne? I'm NOT putting Yeldon in that category at all. He may well indeed be the most important recruit in 2012. Do we offer the kid a scholarship to keep the pipeline? I say just go after the kid for the kid. The coaches will respect that most of all I think.

No. But I have watched them play for years. They run a similar power spread like we do and most of their players fit our system. So your point is moot in Daphne's case.

No. But I have watched them play for years. They run a similar power spread like we do and most of their players fit our system. So your point is moot in Daphne's case.

No it's not moot. We see this completely differently. I'm going to just realize you and I will never agree on this issue. Much like most things we don't agree, but that's cool. Hell, you're an Auburn guy and that's cool with me sir and I appreciate all the work you give this website with the recruiting rankings.

No it's not moot. We see this completely differently. I'm going to just realize you and I will never agree on this issue. Much like most things we don't agree, but that's cool. Hell, you're an Auburn guy and that's cool with me sir and I appreciate all the work you give this website with the recruiting rankings.

Yes it is moot. You are taking my point of view to a unrealistic radical extreme (which you have a tendency of doing with people's posts from time to time) that I am not implying. Of course you do not take a player that does not fit your system for the sake of a pipeline. That's a ridiculous thing to do or even say. But if the player fits your system then the potential pipeline is an additional factor that should be considered.

Yes it is moot. You are taking my point of view to a unrealistic radical extreme (which you have a tendency of doing with people's posts from time to time) that I am not implying. Of course you do not take a player that does not fit your system for the sake of a pipeline. That's a ridiculous thing to do or even say. But if the player fits your system then the potential pipeline is an additional factor that should be considered.

Well now you're insulting me after I was trying to make peace with things. I'll leave it alone, you seem bent and trying to win an argument here that doesn't mean that much in the scheme of things.

Ellitor I apologize man to man sir. Have a great night and I so your point-didn't mean to take what you were saying in an extreme. I simply just want the kid-the pipeline doesn't matter to me, though I do see where having a pipeline could be really beneficial.

Speaking of pipelines and Florida recruiting, at one time we had a great pipeline to Dilliard HS in Miami.  And it looked like that line had re-opened with Marcus Roberson, but, man, that blew up quickly!!  I will admit that, outside of Drew, I thought Blakeley was our biggest recruiting disappointment this year.  The Blakeley and Roberson situations make me stop and think;  things are just done differently down there, and I'm not sure we want to join the fray.  Sure, the talent is the best in the country, but the headaches may be the biggest also.

Speaking of pipelines and Florida recruiting, at one time we had a great pipeline to Dilliard HS in Miami.  And it looked like that line had re-opened with Marcus Roberson, but, man, that blew up quickly!!  I will admit that, outside of Drew, I thought Blakeley was our biggest recruiting disappointment this year.  The Blakeley and Roberson situations make me stop and think;  things are just done differently down there, and I'm not sure we want to join the fray.  Sure, the talent is the best in the country, but the headaches may be the biggest also.

I would not call Florida the best talent in the country. They are in the top 3, but I honestly consider Texas #1, if only because of the volume of talent in that state. That isn't to say that I don't think we should recruit Florida, rather that it isn't quite so vital to recruit the state as it has been in years past because of the range our recruiting has now.

Archived