Keeping fish/Aquariums

Does anyone like to keep fish or aquariums? I just got into the hobby about 2 months ago. I bought a 20 gallon tank, and all the works and originally had 4 zebra danios in it. All is well, and today I decided to add a few fish, so I bought two Otocinclus catfish and a bamboo shrimp. So far I love this, and I plan on buying a bigger tank this summer so I can keep some bigger fish.

And yes, I know this suits me  :thumbsup:

It is/was one of my favorite hobbies. Had Bettas , neon tetras and the such as a kid. Started getting into more of the exotic freshwater and a little into salt as I got older. My favorites were probably the oscar and african cichlids. One of the coolest ones I had was a baby gar. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

We used to have fresh and saltwater. We had everything from common guppies to different exotic saltwater fish. My favorite thing was the "live rock" in the salt tanks. You never know what will come out of them.

Salt water can get very expensive, especially when you learn as you go.   :-\

If you just got into it, the best thing you can do is read. Buy books used and learn as much as you can, or at least have them around for when you have a question (you will  :laugh:). Its a fun hobby.

My old roommate use to have a 50 gal salt, that was an expensive hobby. But it was kind of cool to have in the house, but it was a lot of work.

We have 2 gold fish that my kids won at the fair 2 years ago that I wish would die, but just wont!!!

My old roommate use to have a 50 gal salt, that was an expensive hobby. But it was kind of cool to have in the house, but it was a lot of work.

We have 2 gold fish that my kids won at the fair 2 years ago that I wish would die, but just wont!!!

You're not feeding them enough.  :laugh:

I wish I could get into salt water, but that's just too expensive for me. This summer I plan on getting a 5 gallon tank, and keeping some clown loaches and some other things. I've heard clown loaches are some of the funniest fish out there

:laugh: I have a really small goldfish in a gallon tank :thumbsup:

That sounds awesome though and if I had the time I'd definitely do it.

It really doesn't take time at all. It took me about an hour to set the tank up, and hour to acclimmate the fish when you get them. Then all you do is feed them twice a day, and do like a 10% water change every weekend

:laugh: I have a really small goldfish in a gallon tank :thumbsup:

That sounds awesome though and if I had the time I'd definitely do it.

It really doesn't take time at all. It took me about an hour to set the tank up, and hour to acclimmate the fish when you get them. Then all you do is feed them twice a day, and do like a 10% water change every weekend

Its not bad as long as you don't run into problems (ick, fin rot, etc...). I would suggest that you get a small heater for the tank and a thermometer. Water temperature is one of the most common stressers on fish of any kind.

If I were to do it over, I would have started with fresh water, but no.....we went all out with a 30 gallon saltwater tank. We sunk a lot of $ into it before we figured out just what the hell we were doing.  :laugh:

When I had only danios I didn't buy a heater, since they're so hardy they don't really need one. But I bought one today for my new fish. Yeah, I'm hoping they're all set, no ich or anything. I almost did what you did. I was at the pet store, about to buy a clown fish and an anemone, but the lady there talked me out of it, thank god. They wouldn't have lasted three days. Once I got back I started researching and what not. I'm just glad they're still alive

If you ever start saltin, start as big as you can, 20+ and start slow; there's like an inch per so many gallon rule. Small tanks can go south fast. I used some hermit crabs I caught at the beach to get the aquarium started, even traded them for my first fish. I'm sure things have changed in the last 30 years so it may be easier now. I just remember coming home from vacation to a tank full of floaters. My mom slightly overfed them, but then again she did the same thing to me and my friends.  :laugh: Santa almost brought my kids an aquarium this past year, maybe this one.

If you ever start saltin, start as big as you can, 20+ and start slow; there's like an inch per so many gallon rule. Small tanks can go south fast. I used some hermit crabs I caught at the beach to get the aquarium started, even traded them for my first fish. I'm sure things have changed in the last 30 years so it may be easier now. I just remember coming home from vacation to a tank full of floaters. My mom slightly overfed them, but then again she did the same thing to me and my friends.  :laugh: Santa almost brought my kids an aquarium this past year, maybe this one.

I will never forget one experience we had. We bought several fish from the lady who owned a local aquarium shop. She was moving and it was going to take too long, so we bought her fish from her. She neglected to inform us exactly what the fish were. I can't remember the type of the one I'm talking about, but he/she was an evil looking thing who liked to stay under the live rock. My sister, God love her, named the fish Charles Manson. We found out later, it was a very appropriate name. One by one our other fish started dissapearing, including the others we got from the lady. It didn't take long to figure out that Manson was snacking on them. He quickly got flushed.  :laugh:

I will never forget one experience we had. We bought several fish from the lady who owned a local aquarium shop. She was moving and it was going to take too long, so we bought her fish from her. She neglected to inform us exactly what the fish were. I can't remember the type of the one I'm talking about, but he/she was an evil looking thing who liked to stay under the live rock. My sister, God love her, named the fish Charles Manson. We found out later, it was a very appropriate name. One by one our other fish started dissapearing, including the others we got from the lady. It didn't take long to figure out that Manson was snacking on them. He quickly got flushed.   :laugh:

You fish killer.......

I will never forget one experience we had. We bought several fish from the lady who owned a local aquarium shop. She was moving and it was going to take too long, so we bought her fish from her. She neglected to inform us exactly what the fish were. I can't remember the type of the one I'm talking about, but he/she was an evil looking thing who liked to stay under the live rock. My sister, God love her, named the fish Charles Manson. We found out later, it was a very appropriate name. One by one our other fish started dissapearing, including the others we got from the lady. It didn't take long to figure out that Manson was snacking on them. He quickly got flushed.   :laugh:

You fish killer.......

Hell, I didn't know.  :laugh:

You're not feeding them enough.  :laugh:

My wife just called to tell me that one of the gold fish died today  :laugh: :laugh:

Then I explained to her how I was on here talking about how those stupid fish would not die!!!

1 down 1 to go!!!

Archived