Auburn vs. South Carolina GAME 3

Auburn sends Corey Luckie to the mound today in an attempt to avoid getting swept. The game will be broudcasted on ESPN!!!!! Not ESPN2 or ESPNU, straight up ESPN!!!

We've got to find some starting pitching. 

And the Understatement of the Year goes to you, my friend.

It's embarrassing, really. While most of our pitching is just bad period, I don't understand Pawlowski's quick hook. If we have a starter give up 2-3 in the first 2 or 3 innings, he yanks them. Rarely do any of our starters go beyond 4 innings or so (unless they pitch a gem like Jacobs the other night). We constantly use 4-5 pitchers just to get through one game. I don't understand it.

Our starting pitching is a mess. We've got to recruit better pitching and coach it up. Plain and simple.

And don't look now, but even with our high RPI, there's a decent chance we won't make a regional. I wasn't aware of this until today, but there's a NCAA rule that a team's overall record HAS to be over .500 to qualify for the postseason. After today's loss, we are 23-21 overall. We've got Alabama, Tennessee and UGA left. We have to finish strong. Oh, and it would probably help if we wouldn't get blown out in midweek games to inferior competition.

But hey, War Eagle! Let's finish strong!

fielding errors have not helped our cause either...not to mention not getting guys that are on base...on home.

Agreed, but I'm not nearly as worried about the hitting as I am the pitching. Hitting will come and go, but we haven't had good pitching since probably 2003 or so. There's a reason last year was our first trip to the SEC tourney since then, and it hasn't been offense.

Pitching has been a big problem for AU baseball for a long time now. It's just frustrating because AU baseball deserves to be a national power again like it was in the late '90s.

One of the things I miss about the days Hal was coach was that, we would occasionally have a big hitter..i.e. Frank Thomas...that someone could pitch around...but his teams were able to scratch and claw to get guys home.  I have always admired the big bats LSU has historically had, excepting this year, and enjoyed that about the team last year...but we lost a lot. Pitching certainly has been our Achilles this year...but we have lots of room for improvement defensively and offensively. I think the series this weekend showed how far we have to go.

Archived