Auburn vs Alabama Game 2 (really 1st game played)

Gotta say this team has had a lot of Guts....to come back from the sweeps and last Sunday's meltdown

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on if Arky wins or not. If they win we're 1.5 back. They lose and we're 0.5 back

Actually I think what I told you at the game was for before the first game.  If Arkansas loses this game then we're tied, which would put us at the head of the West thanks to tie breakers (and barring Miss. State sweeping Ole Miss).

I just checked. We're in a three way tie for the crown right now with Arky and Miss State.

Yeah that's what I thought.  Basically we need to win and Miss State needs to lose.  Do you know who they play next?

I just checked. We're in a three way tie for the crown right now with Arky and Miss State.

Yeah that's what I thought.  Basically we need to win and Miss State needs to lose.  Do you know who they play next?

LSU.  :(

:wareagle: South Carolina just beat Arky 6-5. That helps us.  Let's get out the broom tomorrow and head to Tennessee and win the west out right. Also Ole Miss leads Miss. St 6-0. War eagle.

LSU.   :(

Don't worry. It's about that time of year where LSU is starting to get hot.  :laugh:

LSU.   :(

Don't worry. It's about that time of year where LSU is starting to get hot.  :laugh:

Yeah they went crazy on UT today.  Going for the sweep tomorrow.

Ok everyone so this is how it's shaking down right now...

We are a full game ahead of Bama and own the tie breaker;

We are tied with Arky and hold the tie breaker;

Ole Miss is beating Miss State by 6 right now and if it holds we'll be a half game up on State;

Worst case scenario is we lose tomorrow, best case:  we win and Arkansas loses.  If this happens, we take a 2 game lead over Bama, 1 game lead over Arky, and 1 game lead over State into Sunday.

If this is he case, Bama would have to sweep and us get swept; State would need to win 1 more than us; and Arky would have to win 2 and us lose 2.  

Great sweep with clutch hitting performances today.  Some thoughts from the day.  Was disappointed in Coach P leaving both Jacobs and Varandore in for too long.  I thought before the 8th in the 1st game and the 7th in the 2nd that both guys' days needed to be done, especially Jacobs coming back after the long bottom of the 7th inning.  Both did have great starts and gave us a chance to win.  Great plate discipline won the game for us.

Playing with house money this weekend, lets try and not blow an 8 run lead tomorrow though.

Don't get me wrong. I wanna win tomorrow, but regardless of what happens tomorrow, there's no reason we shouldn't finish the SEC schedule 3-1 at worst. Now we have to show up and play like we're capable of at Tennessee, but we should easily win that series and there's no reason we shouldn't sweep them as long as we can get decent pitching.

Tennessee is awful and has nothing to play for. Take care of business! War Eagle!

Great sweep with clutch hitting performances today.  Some thoughts from the day.  Was disappointed in Coach P leaving both Jacobs and Varandore in for too long.  I thought before the 8th in the 1st game and the 7th in the 2nd that both guys' days needed to be done, especially Jacobs coming back after the long bottom of the 7th inning.  Both did have great starts and gave us a chance to win.  Great plate discipline won the game for us.

Playing with house money this weekend, lets try and not blow an 8 run lead tomorrow though.

While Jacobs' pitch count was high (100+ pitches into the 8th inning), I actually thought the decision to leave Jacobs in wasn't a bad one. He gave up a hit, then made a bad pitch on an 0-2 count to give up a double and put runners at 2nd and 3rd in the 8th. But Jacobs was on for most of the game.

I agree about Varnadore. Varny just didn't have it today, and he was very fortunate in the fact that Alabama hit him hard all day, but most of those hits were right at our fielders. But he battled and kept the game close for the offense to come back.

But at the same time, who can Pawlowski rely on in our bullpen? Honestly, Jacobs or Varnadore in the 7th and 8th innings is probably just as good of an option as one of our relievers right now. Our bullpen has been downright awful lately and really hasn't been able to get a whole lot of hitters out all season. That's definitely gonna have to be addressed in the offseason. I think some of the reason Pawlowski is leaving some of these guys in a little longer is because he doesn't have confidence in the bullpen, and rightly so.

But the bullpen was able to hold the leads today in the end. Good doubleheader sweep!

Archived