Boom!! Sports by Brooks new stuff

tig1961er

AURANDY, I have heard of some of these bama lead NCAA invetigations. One in the '70's I think involved two bama boosters posing as NCAA invetigators and interviewing an Auburn recruit to get dirt on Auburn. Another involved a recruit who received an old green john boat from his grandfather as a high school graduation gift but Auburn ended up on probation after bama turned it in to the NCAA as a violation. I also liked Pat Dye's response to Bill Curry's statement that when recruiting issues happened he would always call the other coach to work it out. Dye called BS on that after Curry turned Auburn in over to the NCAA for what turned out to be a non-issue. It could have been cleared up if he had called Dye but Saint Curry shot first and asked questions never.

If I recall correctly, Bill Curry, even when he was at Georgia Tech was always accusing AU of cheating. Speaking of Pat Dye, I wonder if he would ever consider going public with stuff from his days as an assistant at Alabama and at AU? There's no doubt that there were some questionable things done while he was at AU---remember Eric Ramsey? It's been well pointed out that Dye, Charlie Pell, Gene Stallings, Danny Ford, Jackie Sherrill, and others all had run-ins with the NCAA during their coaching careers and who did all of there men learn their crafts under? None other than Bear Bryant.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall correctly, Bill Curry, even when he was at Georgia Tech was always accusing AU of cheating. Speaking of Pat Dye, I wonder if he would ever consider going public with stuff from his days as an assistant at Alabama and at AU? There's no doubt that there were some questionable things done while he was at AU---remember Eric Ramsey? It's been well pointed out that Dye, Charlie Pell, Gene Stallings, Danny Ford, Jackie Sherrill, and others all had run-ins with the NCAA during their coaching careers and who did all of there men learn their crafts under? None other than Bear Bryant.

Never thought about that, interesting, but highly doubt.

WDE !!!

What's taking the national media so long in reporting it?

Pretend you are a respected media member. OK Congrats, you're in a very small class but I digress. Would you touch a story opened by Travis or Brooks?

I see your point regarding the origin of the accusations.  But, the photos tell the whole story, IMO.  Regardless of who outs the story (CT or SBB) the photos pinned the cheaters to the wall and they are evidence that violations took place numerous times with high profile players.

SBB is a JERK, will never forgive him for the HIT piece on the Tigerettes.  Having said that, you can use your enemies in many ways.  He is not going away because we do not like him.. So it is important that he hates on Auburn and Alabama equally...

He has NEW pictures including A.J......

Bama is in deep trouble. This is going to get bad for them. The listings of autographed items for sale, vice authentics, more players than just Trent....

This stuff is getting uglier and uglier for the Turds. Personally, I am very happy their compliance department has further implicated themselves. I have now decided failure to monitor is more likely than not (along with the vacated wins and eligibility issues I think are a given and only wonder how severe they will be).

Bama is in deep trouble. This is going to get bad for them. The listings of autographed items for sale, vice authentics, more players than just Trent....

This stuff is getting uglier and uglier for the Turds. Personally, I am very happy their compliance department has further implicated themselves. I have now decided failure to monitor is more likely than not (along with the vacated wins and eligibility issues I think are a given and only wonder how severe they will be).

Do you think bama is so deep in on this one with so many players and it going back so far that their compliance dept is rolling the dice hoping the NCAA will not give it a sniff?

Good point springer.  It seems to run so deep that the NCAA would either have to ignore it or shut them down, and I agree with everyone else, no one will ever get the death penalty again

Good point springer.  It seems to run so deep that the NCAA would either have to ignore it or shut them down, and I agree with everyone else, no one will ever get the death penalty again

I don't think the NCAA can possibly ignore it - the photo's are the proof, and the dates of the photo's are further proof that violations occurred multiple times.  Shows a total disrespect for NCAA rules, they are not fostering an enviroment of compliance when their own coaches are shown in photos with TTMW.

The whole program, players, AD, and coaches have been caught!

I think you're right about this one, but I have to ask... why not?  Because SMU has never recovered?  Shouldn't have cheated.  Plus you have teams like Alabama that, while it would take a little while to field another respectable football team, might actually get the message.  Plus it's not like their fans wouldn't sink millions into the program as soon as it is reinstated anyway.

Do you think bama is so deep in on this one with so many players and it going back so far that their compliance dept is rolling the dice hoping the NCAA will not give it a sniff?

I think the compliance department has rolled the dice and they are about to get bitten.

I do not think these are horrible program destroying violations by any means. Right now, extra benefits to players are not proven, just implied through players like Julio wearing 16 different suits to games. The obvious violations are multiple star players over multiple years promoting the store which does make them ineligible (I think it is hard to say they were not promoting, especially in light of the fact the letters sent by the university cited the rule obviously being broken). The compliance department not reporting violations they were obviously aware of is going to make a manageable violation into a situation where all bets are off as far as the penalties that come down.

The violations are significant enough to affect elligibility but not to the point where the NCAA would take away schollies and hit them with more significant penalties IMO. However it is being made worse by both an attempted coverup and bama's track record and current probation status.

Also, the linkagage of the resell of the jerseys assuming it is on a significant regular basis by the same individuals is likely to open another separate but related can of worms in terms of potential violations and penalties.

There's way too much smoke for them not to get burned by the NCAA.

Surely to goodness the NCAA is digging deep to get to the root of TTMW and find out how much he paid those players to sign the merchandise he sold in his store.  Those players didn't just hang out in his store for the fun of it, they had to have been compensated for it, IMO.

I think you're right about this one, but I have to ask... why not?  Because SMU has never recovered?  Shouldn't have cheated.  Plus you have teams like Alabama that, while it would take a little while to field another respectable football team, might actually get the message.  Plus it's not like their fans wouldn't sink millions into the program as soon as it is reinstated anyway.

The backlash against the NCAA would make it impossible for them to function if they gave the death penalty again. This is a different world, and the financial stakes are much higher. It would hurt not only the university, but all media and spinoff industries as well.

I won't pretend to know the rules, but is this really that serious? Even a violation at all? If this was as bad as we are all making it out to be, why isn't every news media outlet in America on this story or the NCAA saying a word? Dont't hand me "because it's bammer". I'm not buying that one. When tOSU got busted it all cae at once. Media, NCAA, everybody came at them. Why not now? I want them to get smashed in the face, but it worries me alot that nothing is being said other than by CT and SBB. Maybe I'm missing something......

This is a big deal, probable closer to textgate than Tatgate.   There is not a lot if mystery to this story.   Plus, give this story time.

Agree. On the surface there is not that much to this story. I see it as pretty black and white. The NCAA will investigate. The NCAA will find violations in that the players promoted the business and some will be suspended for some games this season and I really think some wins will be vacated from last year before it is over.

That is what I consider to be relatively black and white. Then you get into matters of degree in number of players suspended and number of games vacated last year. Next you get into whether the NCAA believes bama's compliance department actively attempted to cover things up and purposely did not report known violations. That is where you may get into failure to monitor and more severe penalties.

Then you could possibly get into pre-existing relationships and a system to sell the signed merchandise on a continous and/or significant basis with a single retail seller (vice authentics). I am not sure what type of repercussions may apply here IF the relationship is established and is substantial.

Finally, you get into whether players received impermissable benefits. This would be the most serious violation, but I think the least likely and most difficult to show. The bama program has decades of sophistication and plenty of willingness and incentive not to screw up here, so it becomes the least likely possible violation to be "proven" IMO.

So, long story short, these are real problems, but the outcome is very much up in the air. The story will grow however. I suspect sooner rather than later and it would grow exponentially if it were to be confirmed the NCAA is actively investigating. I have to assume they ARE investigating already. However, remember textbookgate? It was not reported the NCAA was investigating until a few weeks after signing day that year, even though the investigation had been ongoing a very long time. Parts of the state media (those closest to the program and most likely in the know) will most definitely keep it quiet if that is what bama wants.

This is a big deal, probable closer to textgate than Tatgate.   There is not a lot if mystery to this story.   Plus, give this story time.

Agree. On the surface there is not that much to this story. I see it as pretty black and white. The NCAA will investigate. The NCAA will find violations in that the players promoted the business and some will be suspended for some games this season and I really think some wins will be vacated from last year before it is over.

That is what I consider to be relatively black and white. Then you get into matters of degree in number of players suspended and number of games vacated last year. Next you get into whether the NCAA believes bama's compliance department actively attempted to cover things up and purposely did not report known violations. That is where you may get into failure to monitor and more severe penalties.

Then you could possibly get into pre-existing relationships and a system to sell the signed merchandise on a continous and/or significant basis with a single retail seller (vice authentics). I am not sure what type of repercussions may apply here IF the relationship is established and is substantial.

Finally, you get into whether players received impermissable benefits. This would be the most serious violation, but I think the least likely and most difficult to show. The bama program has decades of sophistication and plenty of willingness and incentive not to screw up here, so it becomes the least likely possible violation to be "proven" IMO.

So, long story short, these are real problems, but the outcome is very much up in the air. The story will grow however. I suspect sooner rather than later and it would grow exponentially if it were to be confirmed the NCAA is actively investigating. I have to assume they ARE investigating already. However, remember textbookgate? It was not reported the NCAA was investigating until a few weeks after signing day that year, even though the investigation had been ongoing a very long time. Parts of the state media (those closest to the program and most likely in the know) will most definitely keep it quiet if that is what bama wants.

I think this is the biggest thing keeping this story from getting bigger.  Espn is just like most large media outlets they investigate some things but mostly they pick up stories broken by smaller regional outlets.  You could see it with the oregon and osu stories their in state media didn't go out of their way not to cover anything that came to light.  But as we have seen multiple times as Tiger n Miami AU83 said the in state media will turn a blindeye to bammer transgressions as long as possible.

I won't pretend to know the rules, but is this really that serious? Even a violation at all? If this was as bad as we are all making it out to be, why isn't every news media outlet in America on this story or the NCAA saying a word? Dont't hand me "because it's bammer". I'm not buying that one. When tOSU got busted it all cae at once. Media, NCAA, everybody came at them. Why not now? I want them to get smashed in the face, but it worries me alot that nothing is being said other than by CT and SBB. Maybe I'm missing something......

They are a whole lot more people talking about it than SBB and CT. Don't believe me? If you Google "Alabama Mensware Violations," you get 93,100 results. Everything from Texas Message Boards to Sports Illustrated to NBC.

I like it. Bring the noise.  I think it's time we ramp this thing up. 

How would you suggest "we" go about bringing more attention to the situation?

send it to media friends of Ohio St and ask them "what's the difference?"

Including the ex jocks that work at BSPN and then hit send all. The Columbus Dispatch is your friend, along with the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

send it to media friends of Ohio St and ask them "what's the difference?"

Including the ex jocks that work at BSPN and then hit send all. The Columbus Dispatch is your friend, along with the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Good idea, tell the Ohio folks, that the tOSU compliance dept. handled everything wrong and should have used the bammer handbook on dealing with the NCAA and Jim Tressel would still be the head coach.

Archived