Chizik promising Dyer more carries and not giving them Affecting Recruiting RBs?

JaxAuburnAlum

in the relatively few carries he has gotten this season, mike dyer has been dominate.  so the last couple of weeks, we have heard a ton from the coaches about how he will get the ball much much more. yet, again tonight, he had just 14 carries. 

meanwhile, marcus lattimore routinely carries the ball 30 or even upwards of 38-40 times a game.

what are your thoughts on what RB recruits are thinking when they see this, keeping in mind all of chizik's promises to give dyer more carries.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has ZERO effect. Why in the world would you ever give Dyer 30+ carries against Florida Atlantic? He will get more carries against SEC foes, believe me. We also have to take what the defense gives us. With eight guys in the box, it is hard to run the ball.

This has ZERO effect. Why in the world would you ever give Dyer 30+ carries against Florida Atlantic? He will get more carries against SEC foes, believe me. We also have to take what the defense gives us. With eight guys in the box, it is hard to run the ball.

THIS^^^^^

fair enough, let me rephrase: do you think when RB recruits look at our school and see a 5 star RB getting 15 carries/game and then look at another and sees theirs getting 30+ and having the word heisman thrown around (even tho ours is just as capable), that it makes a difference to them?

fair enough, let me rephrase: do you think when RB recruits look at our school and see a 5 star RB getting 15 carries/game and then look at another and sees theirs getting 30+ and having the word heisman thrown around (even tho ours is just as capable), that it makes a difference to them?

They wouldn't want 38 carries a game. Runningbacks only have a certain amount of carries that they can handle. You have to save some for the pros. 38 carries is a ridiculous amount for one game.

Yeah, didn't everybody see how bad we beat FAU and that Dyer didn't need any more carries than what he got. It makes much more sense to repeatedly through bubble screens to Reed for an average of 5 yards, have Trotter target receivers from the snap of the ball, and let Omac run to the sidelines. Running Dyer more would never really make these plays more effective.  :-[

Malzahn's offense has a history of running the ball 50 percent of the time.  Dyer will get his carries

Why not against CU when he could have carried us to a win?  :dunno:

Exactly. These kids understand that adjustments have to be made to the game plan sometimes.

Exactly. These kids understand that adjustments have to be made to the game plan sometimes.

^^This.  We had a 3rd and 2 last night where they had eight in the box and Trotter did give it to Dyer at right tackle.  He was stuffed for no gain.  An audible should have been made on that play.  That is why you see passes on 3rd and 2 at times.  You take what the defense gives. 

I can't agree with the majority. Dyer still should have had atleast 20  carries.  He was the only effective tool during Clemson and still not even 20 carries.  Plus it is not like our offense was dominating fau.  We should have been able to push them around.  Plus you talk about the 2 yards we did not get with Dyer what about the two yards we did not get throwing. We should have gotten both by running. Malzahn is a genius yes but the play calling the last two weeks has been terrible and predictable . Offense and defense have been bad.

^^This.  We had a 3rd and 2 last night where they had eight in the box and Trotter did give it to Dyer at right tackle.   He was stuffed for no gain.  An audible should have been made on that play.  That is why you see passes on

3rd and 2 at times.  You take what the defense gives. 

I can't believe we make so many excuses to not let our best player lead this team. I'm sorry I'm very frustrated with this team right now. Dyer should be a Heisman candidate right now with at least twice as many carries at this point in the season. We all knew that this team was going to be young and inexperienced. What better solution than to run the freakin' football. There is no easier blocking than run blocking, and three and outs with Trotter, bubble screens, and other calls that don't make a lot of since sure aren't helping this D.

I can't believe we make so many excuses to not let our best player lead this team. I'm sorry I'm very frustrated with this team right now. Dyer should be a Heisman candidate right now with at least twice as many carries at this point in the season. We all knew that this team was going to be young and inexperienced. What better solution than to run the freakin' football. There is no easier blocking than run blocking, and three and outs with Trotter, bubble screens, and other calls that don't make a lot of since sure aren't helping this D.

At least twice as many carries? Really? This isn't Pat Dye running the I formation and letting the big uglies pave the way even when the other team knows it's coming. I would have liked to see him get more carries, too, but averaging 30+ a game is a good way to hit the home stretch with a hurt or tired star player.

As for the running back recruiting, no, I don't think it affects things at all. Part of the reason so many backs are willing to come here is that we spread the ball around.

I think they will see Dyer was the MVP of the championship game and has already had 2 100 yards games this season, Not an issue IMO

At least twice as many carries? Really? This isn't Pat Dye running the I formation and letting the big uglies pave the way even when the other team knows it's coming. I would have liked to see him get more carries, too, but averaging 30+ a game is a good way to hit the home stretch with a hurt or tired star player.

As for the running back recruiting, no, I don't think it affects things at all. Part of the reason so many backs are willing to come here is that we spread the ball around.

Ok, maybe not twice the carries, but he can lead this team out of the funk that we are in currently. However, if he had twice the carries against CU we would have won that ball game. Your right this is not the I-form but, this offense needs to be able to run the football. It may be just me and this is an opinion, but I believe this really isn't fair for Dyer and if I was a high caliber running back out of high school and I saw Dyer not getting the carries like he would somewhere else...I'll leave it at that. Sometimes I think the offense gets too cute and we should just smash some people in the mouth and stretch the field more on passing plays. I hate the bubble screens to Reed. It's on the verge of insanity. Ok, I'll quit my rant.

Dyer will get more carries when the offense has more than 50-60 snaps in a game.  A great way to start would be for the defense to limit the opponent to less than 90 snaps in a game.

Dyer's carries are not our of proportion compared to total offensive plays.

^^^^^

I Agree..........................Think a lot of things we saw today, was just getting ready for next week. In a way. Hope so, anyway. War Damn Eagle!!! :tdau: :tdau:

our problem is not how many times dyer carries the ball...i believe spurrier,before each snap, could tell our soft defense what plays he was going to run,and they still couldn't stop it

Seriously, this might be the most idiotic thread started since I have been on this site....Hmmmm Yeldon and Robinson, yep clearly affecting running back recruiting.. Transfers like Blakely and Grant....no doubt we will never get a good running back.....momma always said think before you speak, it can also be applied to typing....IMO

Thanks Madison.....was wondering how long this crazy speculation was going to last.

Archived