Updated 12/15- Recruiting update and Numbers breakdown

Guest jthaub

This is the year we are supposed to tear it up in recruiting. Its the year after the NC. No excuses.

How many NC teams lose 18 of 22 starters, have a lackluster season (understandably), then lose BOTH coordinators the following year??

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't we be able to sell the fact that we lost 18 starters and our new ones only took us to 8 wins? PT is usually a pretty solid sell.. Got to be tough to recruit these kids down the stretch without being able to tell them who is going to be calling the plays/coaching them.

Hate to tell you, bit if you're going to consistently compete in the SEC then you better have a banner year every year.

Hate to tell you, but AU won a BCS national championship two years after a major coaching change and a miserable recruiting class in 2008 and a mediocre recruiting class in 2009.  Mediocre was actually good for 2009 considering that there was a major coaching change.

Cheer for uat if you expect a top 5 class every year.  The REC guarantees it.   ;)

Well if you're content only winning 8 games a year, every year then maybe you should be an miss state fan. You'll always be happy. As for me I know there is a statistical correlation between having high ranked recruiting classes and winning championships.  

Hate to tell you, bit if you're going to consistently compete in the SEC then you better have a banner year every year.

Hate to tell you, but AU won a BCS national championship two years after a major coaching change and a miserable recruiting class in 2008 and a mediocre recruiting class in 2009.  Mediocre was actually good for 2009 considering that there was a major coaching change.

Cheer for uat if you expect a top 5 class every year.  The REC guarantees it.   ;)

Well if you're content only winning 8 games a year, every year then maybe you should be an miss state fan. You'll always be happy. As for me I know there is a statistical correlation between having high ranked recruiting classes and winning championships.  

I know a LOT of AU fans that were content to win 8 games a year under Coach Tuberville (mainly because we beat up on a probation-weakened uat most of those years), but I was not.  However, if you have the entitlement mentality to a top 5 or top 10 recruiting class every year, you are no Auburn fan, or better stated, you have not been an Auburn fan for very long.

I know a LOT of AU fans that were content to win 8 games a year under Coach Tuberville (mainly because we beat up on a probation-weakened uat most of those years), but I was not.  However, if you have the entitlement mentality to a top 5 or top 10 recruiting class every year, you are no Auburn fan, or better stated, you have not been an Auburn fan for very long.

No, I just have a higher expectation for the quality that is put out on the field. I don't pay for my season tickets to watch us lose.

No, I just have a higher expectation for the quality that is put out on the field. I don't pay for my season tickets to watch us lose.

I want AU to win every game just like every other AU fan.  However, I put Auburn University first.  I spent my tuition dollars there (which I earned, with very little help from parents).  I donate money to the university (and not to the Greater Auburn Fund or whatever it is called now).  You have to realize that this is NOT professional football, even though Saban and others have turned it into semi-pro ball by over-signing and "processing" the non-productive players out of their systems.  College football players are supposed to be college athletes first and foremost, and not athletes pretending to be in college.  The money that has infected college football under the BCS system has destroyed this concept.  

I love Zeke and I've always said he is a rare talent but I don't think there has ever been a HS QB as good as Jameis Winston. He's as good as it gets. GAM! My O&B glasses are twice as thick as my HYT's but I can't deny it any longer. He has blown me away.

My point is, you don't need strictly 4 & 5* players to win games.  

This is true but you better get your share of them. Look at the winning teams for the past few years and count the stars.  I know that some 5 stars don't make it and some 3 stars become ALL SEC . You also have to be able to develop the talent once it's there.

This is the year we are supposed to tear it up in recruiting. Its the year after the NC. No excuses.

No it's not. I guess everybody is going to hold on to that stupid myth even though there is evidence on this site that proves otherwise. The recruiting spike from winning a BCS title comes in the 3rd year after winning the title.

No it's not. I guess everybody is going to hold on to that stupid myth even though there is evidence on this site that proves otherwise. The recruiting spike from winning a BCS title comes in the 3rd year after winning the title.

god, you are getting unbearable.... you continue to throw out crap,... and hope like h#ll that it sticks....

god, you are getting unbearable.... you continue to throw out crap,... and hope like h#ll that it sticks....

It's not crap. I spent 10 hours doing the research and posted it all on here. If I could find it I would quote it even though it is very long.

I found it. Here is all the research. If people don't think it sticks then that is their perogative.

I did not realize it posted when i hit tab. Here is the full one with records for each year for each team.

Year Champion

Year after champions NC 1 2 3 4

2000- OU

2001 Record 13-0        11-2              12-2       12-2       12-1

Scout

overall         - 2 3 7 5

player avg. - 5 3 2 12

Rivals

overall         - 7 4 8 3

player avg. - 2* 6 2 6

2001- Miami

2002 Record            12-0                 12-1         11-2           9-3           9-3

Scout

overall         4 6 3 12 14

player avg. 1* 8 5 6 10                            

Rivals   

overall         8 5 5 7 14

player avg. 5 5 9 2 15

2002- Ohio State       

2003 Record             14-0          11-2         8-4            10-2          12-1

Scout

overall        25 11 7 13 16

player avg. 5 12 7 7 5

Rivals

overall         41 9 12 12 15

player avg. 11 11 9 8 4

2003- LSU

2004 Record             12-1          9-3           11-2          11-2          13-0

Scout

overall         2 19 7 5 7

player avg. 4 8 9 3 11

Rivals

overall         2 22 7 4 11

player avg. 6 4 12 3 9

2004- USC                 

2005 Record             13-0          12-1         11-2          11-2          12-1

Scout

overall         6 1 2 9 9

player avg. 1 1 1 3 1

Rivals

overall         1 1 2 8 4

player avg. 1 2 1 2 2

2005- Texas

2006 Record             13-0          10-3          10-3         12-1          13-1

Scout

overall         3 3 16 7 3

player avg. 3 4 6 6 2

Rivals

overall         5 5 14 5 3

player avg. 9 5 10 3 2

2006- Florida

2007 Record             13-1          9-4            13-1        13-1

Sciout

overall         1 12 22 1

player avg. 2 7 3 3

Rivals

overall         1 3 11 2

player avg. 2 4 1 3

2007- LSU

2008         Record              12-2         7-5           9-4

Scout

overall          7 3 7

player avg. 11 5 12

Rivals

overall        11 2 6

player avg. 9 6 6

2008- Florida

2009         Record            13-1          13-1

Scout

overall        22 1

player avg. 8 3

Rivals

overall         2 2

player avg. 6 3

2009- Alabama

2010 Record              14-0

Scout

overall          4

player avg. 10

Rivals

overall         5

player avg. 4

Scout averages

Year after championship NC 1 2 3 4

overall rank avg.         8.2 7.1 8.4 7.7 9

per player avg.          5 5.9 6.8 4.3 6.8

Rivals averages

overall rank avg.         8.4 6.2 7.6 6.6 8.3

per player avg.         5.9 4.7 6.8 3.3 6.3   

Notes:

NC=national champion.

ESPN rankings were not used because they only go back to 2006 and do not have a per player ranking.

Player average and per player average are in terms on stars per player.

*=Miami and OU were not technically 1 and 2 in star player average in Scout. They were 2 and 5 but were calculated as 1 and 2 for the data because the other 3 teams were new to D-! and only had 1 or 2 recruits. http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2002

Conclusions:

1. USC should have never EVER lost a game.

2. If you want to win a national championship you better be no more than 1 state away from the big 3 recruiting states...ie Florida, Texas, California. Ohio state is the only school to win the title in the BCS era and not be no more than a state away from the big 3 states in recruiting.

3. The south is the best area for high school football. It's not just media hype. Again Ohio State is the only exception. You may say Oklahoma but remember OU has Texas and Texas is in the South.

-Points 2 and 3 mean Auburn has a HUGE statistical advantage over Oregon on predicting the national championship game.

Correlations:

1. There is not consistent evidence to correlate winning a national title with the quality of players that sign 1 year after winning the championship being better than the players signed the same year as winning the Championship. 2. There appears to be a some correlation between winning the championship and signing a better overall class the following year. This point combined with point 1 would seem to indicate the better overall class comes from key players graduating or turning pro more than quality of players coming in. More players are needed thus overall numbers are better.

3. The most interesting correlation to me is that the most dramatic increase in quality of player signed in both Scout and Rivals is in year 3 after winning the national title. For Auburn that year is 2013-2014 and the year that current Freshmen graduate. So if auburn wins the national title the biggest recruiting jump in quality of player is projected in 2013 according to the data If you have any questions or further explanation needed feel free to post them here or PM me. I hope you enjoy. Now I am finally going to eat. lol

It's not crap. I spent 10 hours doing the research and posted it all on here. If I could find it I would quote it even though it is very long.

Ellitor is correct.  The report he did was very well done.  Why yes, there is usually a small surge in recruiting the year after a national championship, the real spike does come in the 3rd year.  I'm sure the way our season went, may have slowed recruiting a little, but this isn't the year we will reap the biggest benefits from the championship.  i believe the main reason is that most of this year's recruits have been recruited for a while, and already have an idea of where they want to go, even if it is down to a few schools.  Yes, there are kids that do no know, as would be expected, but kids that graduate high school in 2-3 years are starting to figure out where they may want to go, and that is why it takes time for the championship to really kick in.

I don't think I'm familiar with the 3 year theory.. so why exactly would there be a three year delay on the impact of the title on recruiting?

My theory based on the evidence above is it correlates to when the freshmen from the title year graduates.

Ellitor is one of the best posters on here, what exactly do you know WDE01?

:believe::we::believe: :believe:

I know that i've been around this joint as long as anyone,... I've seen ppl come and go. I look at lots of websites and talk to several ppl around the program. I love AU football as much as anyone, and really, probably hear more and know more than most. I just get tickled sometimes at some of the things said around here, and think some of the ppl that think they are "insiders", are FOS,.... sorry!!!

I found it. Here is all the research. If people don't think it sticks then that is their perogative.

I did not realize it posted when i hit tab. Here is the full one with records for each year for each team.

Year Champion

Year after champions NC 1 2 3 4

2000- OU

2001 Record 13-0        11-2              12-2       12-2       12-1

Scout

overall         - 2 3 7 5

player avg. - 5 3 2 12

Rivals

overall         - 7 4 8 3

player avg. - 2* 6 2 6

2001- Miami

2002 Record            12-0                 12-1         11-2           9-3           9-3

Scout

overall         4 6 3 12 14

player avg. 1* 8 5 6 10                            

Rivals   

overall         8 5 5 7 14

player avg. 5 5 9 2 15

2002- Ohio State       

2003 Record             14-0          11-2         8-4            10-2          12-1

Scout

overall        25 11 7 13 16

player avg. 5 12 7 7 5

Rivals

overall         41 9 12 12 15

player avg. 11 11 9 8 4

2003- LSU

2004 Record             12-1          9-3           11-2          11-2          13-0

Scout

overall         2 19 7 5 7

player avg. 4 8 9 3 11

Rivals

overall         2 22 7 4 11

player avg. 6 4 12 3 9

2004- USC                 

2005 Record             13-0          12-1         11-2          11-2          12-1

Scout

overall         6 1 2 9 9

player avg. 1 1 1 3 1

Rivals

overall         1 1 2 8 4

player avg. 1 2 1 2 2

2005- Texas

2006 Record             13-0          10-3          10-3         12-1          13-1

Scout

overall         3 3 16 7 3

player avg. 3 4 6 6 2

Rivals

overall         5 5 14 5 3

player avg. 9 5 10 3 2

2006- Florida

2007 Record             13-1          9-4            13-1        13-1

Sciout

overall         1 12 22 1

player avg. 2 7 3 3

Rivals

overall         1 3 11 2

player avg. 2 4 1 3

2007- LSU

2008         Record              12-2         7-5           9-4

Scout

overall          7 3 7

player avg. 11 5 12

Rivals

overall        11 2 6

player avg. 9 6 6

2008- Florida

2009         Record            13-1          13-1

Scout

overall        22 1

player avg. 8 3

Rivals

overall         2 2

player avg. 6 3

2009- Alabama

2010 Record              14-0

Scout

overall          4

player avg. 10

Rivals

overall         5

player avg. 4

Scout averages

Year after championship NC 1 2 3 4

overall rank avg.         8.2 7.1 8.4 7.7 9

per player avg.          5 5.9 6.8 4.3 6.8

Rivals averages

overall rank avg.         8.4 6.2 7.6 6.6 8.3

per player avg.         5.9 4.7 6.8 3.3 6.3   

Notes:

NC=national champion.

ESPN rankings were not used because they only go back to 2006 and do not have a per player ranking.

Player average and per player average are in terms on stars per player.

*=Miami and OU were not technically 1 and 2 in star player average in Scout. They were 2 and 5 but were calculated as 1 and 2 for the data because the other 3 teams were new to D-! and only had 1 or 2 recruits. http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2002

Conclusions:

1. USC should have never EVER lost a game.

2. If you want to win a national championship you better be no more than 1 state away from the big 3 recruiting states...ie Florida, Texas, California. Ohio state is the only school to win the title in the BCS era and not be no more than a state away from the big 3 states in recruiting.

3. The south is the best area for high school football. It's not just media hype. Again Ohio State is the only exception. You may say Oklahoma but remember OU has Texas and Texas is in the South.

-Points 2 and 3 mean Auburn has a HUGE statistical advantage over Oregon on predicting the national championship game.

Correlations:

1. There is not consistent evidence to correlate winning a national title with the quality of players that sign 1 year after winning the championship being better than the players signed the same year as winning the Championship. 2. There appears to be a some correlation between winning the championship and signing a better overall class the following year. This point combined with point 1 would seem to indicate the better overall class comes from key players graduating or turning pro more than quality of players coming in. More players are needed thus overall numbers are better.

3. The most interesting correlation to me is that the most dramatic increase in quality of player signed in both Scout and Rivals is in year 3 after winning the national title. For Auburn that year is 2013-2014 and the year that current Freshmen graduate. So if auburn wins the national title the biggest recruiting jump in quality of player is projected in 2013 according to the data If you have any questions or further explanation needed feel free to post them here or PM me. I hope you enjoy. Now I am finally going to eat. lol

You know that everyone has a  perogative. All are just like opinions, and well we all know how opinions are, just like ....well...you know. :dunno:

You should be, you don't come off as an Auburn family member that is all in all the time.  You sounded pretty negative.  We all go for the same team.  Not only does Ellitor know a great deal about Auburn football, but he was also right.  At least you said you were sorry.... I think. I have forgotten more about Auburn football in the last 30 years than most people care to know, but I don't bash other knowledgeable posters.  

:we:

I understand your frustration WDE but have I ever once said or implied I am an insider? No. In fact many times I have publicly said I am not an insider. All I try to do is do a lot of research from what is made public for you guys to give the most accurate info to back up what the Insiders have said or fill the holes in when we have not heard from insiders in a while.

I understand your frustration WDE but have I ever once said or implied I am an insider? No. In fact many times I have publicly said I am not an insider. All I try to do is do a lot of research from what is made public for you guys to give the most accurate info to back up what the Insiders have said or fill the holes in when we have not heard from insiders in a while.

E, to support your research a little ... I do remember about 3-4 years ago, this topic was touched on during a bowl or championship game ... this was the exact point they made and they also showed stats to back them up.  12 months after the NC is usually a nice recruiting haul, but 24 months after winning the NC is the biggest haul.  i have heard many times that the relationships are made in the sophmore/junior years ... not senior years.  we will have a top 5-7 class this year and top 3 next.  we already have a couple of solid commits for 13 and have some seriously talented players looking at AU.  Heck the recruitniks have already thrown out what a great national pool there is next year.

Archived