Recruiting Class

auburnpride99

By the way, I'm not sure why you would say we lost "by far our two best recruits". I mean, I can at least understand Yeldon, because of where he's ranked by the recruiting services, but by those same services Louis wasn't even the best receiver in our class, much less the second best overall recruit...

Ricardo Louis was being looked at by UM, UF, and FSU as a safety prospect. Auburn recruited Louis as a WR, and i'm sure that's part of the reason he chose AU. Now that Louis is a FSU commit, i wonder do they still consider him a safety prospect?

By the way, I'm not sure why you would say we lost "by far our two best recruits". I mean, I can at least understand Yeldon, because of where he's ranked by the recruiting services, but by those same services Louis wasn't even the best receiver in our class, much less the second best overall recruit...

Ricardo Louis was being looked at by UM, UF, and FSU as a safety prospect. Auburn recruited Louis as a WR, and i'm sure that's part of the reason he chose AU. Now that Louis is a FSU commit, i wonder do they still consider him a safety prospect?

No. The recent offer was at WR.

@ auburnpride99

Let me explain it to you this way. The thing to look at for this year as a gauge on how well we are doing, if you are concerned, is the average star rating of the class. This wont be a signing class with the total number of commits like the last 2 classes because AU is filling up the team and pushing up on the 85 scholly limit. Because of that, this year we wont be able to put up the total points to get in the top 5 (probably) like the teams that are able to sign 27-32 players. We will only be able to sign 22 to 23 players max.  The good news is that our players are ALREADY on the team from the last 2 years. But the thing to remember is that the quality of the '12 class will be just as good as the quality of the '10 and '11 classes.

Why do I say this ? Without even signing another player, as of today, AU is ranked #7 in average star rank which measures the quality of the class. USCw can't sign as many recruits for other reasons, but they have the #1 quality class right now and they cant do much better. So do you think they are fretting when they know they cant sign the total numbers but are doing that well with the quality of their class ? While we can't put up the total number of points this year, you have to ask yourself, if we sign more 4*s and a 5* from here on out, will we be in the top 5 classes in the nation in signing quality players ? Yes, we will and this class will be just as good as the last 2 with ease.   

Rivals rankings as of 1/22/12

*rank       Avg.*      5*  4*  3*   commits        total pts.    pts. rank           

#1   USC  3.90        1    9    2        12               1,418        #18

#2   FSU  3.81        3    8    4        16               1,922         # 6

#3   Fla    3.74        2  11    5        19               2,135         #4

#4   OhSt 3.74        2  13    8        23               2,310         #3

#5   Tex   3.67        2  13    8        24               2,347         #2

#6   Ala    3.67        3  12  12        27               2,492         #1

#7   Aub   3.60        0    9    6       15               1,366         #20

First of all thank you everyone for you good points, especially Ironmans last point.  I hadn't thought about the average star rating.  And for who ever said " sky is falling" , that's wasn't my point or impression I was making.  My point was clear, I said twice I think Chiz is great and doing great things for Auburn, I also said I simply hoped for more for Auburn.  To be the best you have to beat the best, and right now we are getting beat in recruiting.

First of all thank you everyone for you good points, especially Ironmans last point.  I hadn't thought about the average star rating.  And for who ever said " sky is falling" , that's wasn't my point or impression I was making.  My point was clear, I said twice I think Chiz is great and doing great things for Auburn, I also said I simply hoped for more for Auburn.  To be the best you have to beat the best, and right now we are getting beat in recruiting.

A lot of people only look at the total points because that is how the ranking services sort them. This of course gives people a false impression because a team that has been decimated by graduation, signs 32 players, gets a lot of points and then ends up in the top 3 is considered to have had a great class. Of course that is missing the forrest for the tree. If we end up with 22 players (7 more) and we also finish in the top 5 in star average we will have one of the best classes in the country, as good as the last 2,  then its all about Coaching after that. If we are getting beat on recruiting on 1/22/12 it is just barely at #7 but give it 10 more days and see where we end up then.  ;)

Would put those three coaches up against anyone in the country.

me too

These same coaches are getting worked by Ua Uga LsU and UF right now...

Let me ask a question:

How open has Chizik been about decisions within the Auburn football program?

Answer: Not very.

How many of you knew that Chizik had already selected Van Gorder and hired him?

Answer: Not many

What you think about our recruiting right now may not be anywhere close to reality. If Chizik keeps these decisions close to the vest, then why would we be whining about stuff we have no idea about? For all we know, Chizik has had an OC in place for weeks. And the recruits you think are wavering, could be all Auburn already. Keep in mind that our recruiters are not novices. They know EXACTLY how to play the game. Saban didn't write the book on recruiting, he may think he did, but he didn't. How do we know that our staff isn't stringing other teams along to limit their productiveness?

Have faith in our staff, they are the BEST in the nation at what they do. War Eagle!

Great post

A lot of people only look at the total points because that is how the ranking services sort them. This of course gives people a false impression because a team that has been decimated by graduation, signs 32 players, gets a lot of points and then ends up in the top 3 is considered to have had a great class. Of course that is missing the forrest for the tree. If we end up with 22 players (7 more) and we also finish in the top 5 in star average we will have one of the best classes in the country, as good as the last 2,  then its all about Coaching after that. If we are getting beat on recruiting on 1/22/12 it is just barely at #7 but give it 10 more days and see where we end up then.  ;)

There's no room for logic on this board!!!  ;)

:partey:

I say we finish in the 5-9 range

Based on some of these fans freaking out on here I think we go 4 - 18!! :dunno:

Geeeeeezzzzz people!

I say we finish in the 5-9 range

keep saying it bird...would hurt to click your ruby slippers together as you say it.

I believe   :hellyeah:

THat's not exactly true....it would depend on the service you look at, for example Rivals only counts your top 20 players to the ranking... Not sure how many Scout and/or EsPN count because I really don't look at their rankings.

Now, let me say that rankings really mean very little.  The coaches DON'T use Rivals to evaluate talent and/or needs of the team.  Having said that, it much more important that the coaches get who they want.... not what makes a good ranking or Rivals. 

We have missed on several players this year so far that our coaches wanted.  Not the end of the world, but this year so far has not been as good as the last two.  Again, having said that... there is still a week and a half before these kids start signing NLI's... let's wait to judge this class at that time when we know who is and isn't coming.

THat's not exactly true....it would depend on the service you look at, for example Rivals only counts your top 20 players to the ranking... Not sure how many Scout and/or EsPN count because I really don't look at their rankings.

Now, let me say that rankings really mean very little.  The coaches DON'T use Rivals to evaluate talent and/or needs of the team.  Having said that, it much more important that the coaches get who they want.... not what makes a good ranking or Rivals. 

We have missed on several players this year so far that our coaches wanted.  Not the end of the world, but this year so far has not been as good as the last two.  Again, having said that... there is still a week and a half before these kids start signing NLI's... let's wait to judge this class at that time when we know who is and isn't coming.

Scout uses 25. ESPN and 247 on a whole are the better rankings because they do their rankings based on their numberic evaluations and not the bigger arbitrary ranking of 4 or 5 stars.

Yes of course, the Coaches evaluate talent themselves and the most important thing is for them to fill our needs on the team. I was addressing "perceptions" people have and how that pertains to the concern he had on our '12 class.  Before then, he hadn't considered quality vs quantity or that it is a work in progress and I didn't want to get it "too" complicated for him.

Yes, different recruiting services rank differently but even then, the total commits still apply. First, they would obviously apply if you don't have as many total commits as they use for their average. This is true when its a work in progress like our 15 is now and we don't have the full ranking count while other teams do. It is also true when the classes are finished for the final rankings.  Secondly, a team with 28-30 commits has a better chance of getting 20 ranked higher than a team that only has 20 total. The team with 20 total has to hit on almost every one, while the team with 28 won't. It is even more detailed than that the deeper you go, as well as differences for each recruiting service.  But, you can still do it with 20 so that is why I said to him, let's see where we stand in 10 days.

Everyone said that the class following the National Championship would be the best ever.  Last years class the players already had relationships with recruiters and coaches and had made up their minds.  It's not panning out the way everyone thought or said.  It really hurt having Gus leave.  I know we are in the hunt for a lot of these players but I don't see us getting anyone really big time.  Cassanova and Diggs are about the best I think were going to get at this point.  I really hope I'm wrong.  I just really think the lack of an OC and the time it's taking to get one has really hurt us in recruits eyes. How could it not, honestly think about it. It makes us looked unorganized and gives the impression that coaches don't want to come here. I know that's not the truth but to an 17-18 year old kid that's being told all sorts of things from other programs.  I wouldn't commit to play somewhere when I didn't know who my coaches were or what the plan was going to be.  Bama lost their OC and replaced him with in a couple days, Florida lost Weis, and replaced him quickly with a hot name OC that has had success.  Those are two of our biggest rivals on and off the field and they moved on quickly.  I love Chiz and all that he's done for Auburn but he really needs to make a big splash for us to finish strong.  I think the new DC was a great choice for us but if the new OC isn't someone impressive the big recruits are going to pass up on us.  Then I'm afraid we'll end up trying to raid programs like Southern Miss for recruits.  The year after a BCS title recruits should be begging to play at Auburn and the SEC.  If our class finishes outside the top 10 I'll be greatly disappointed.  We've already lost by far our 2 best recruits.  I love Auburn and believe in the Chiz, I'd just hoped for more with this class. 

Where to start with this? I don't believe "everyone" said class following BCS champ woulod be best ever. Most say it takes a year or two to see the bump. Gus leving had little effect on the class, imo. I mean, most of the class was in already when he left. We havent lost our BEST two, imo. That's very subjective bt we have a plethora of talent left in this class. Recruits don't "beg" to play anywhere. And I don't think that they ever have. Also, if this class finishes outside the top 10 and you are disappointed, I recommend thinking more positive and realigning yhour priorities. I say be diapointed with poor performance on the field, but finising outside the top 10 is nothing to be down about. It happens and will continue to happ-en to EVERYONE. :wedance:

me too

Let me ask a question:

How open has Chizik been about decisions within the Auburn football program?

Answer: Not very NONE.

How many of you knew that Chizik had already selected Van Gorder and hired him?

Answer: Not many NONE.

What you think about our recruiting right now may not be anywhere close to reality. If Chizik keeps these decisions close to the vest, then why would we be whining about stuff we have no idea about? For all we know, Chizik has had an OC in place for weeks. And the recruits you think are wavering, could be all Auburn already. Keep in mind that our recruiters are not novices. They know EXACTLY how to play the game. Saban didn't write the book on recruiting, he may think he did, but he didn't. How do we know that our staff isn't stringing other teams along to limit their productiveness?

Have faith in our staff, they are the BEST in the nation at what they do. War Eagle!

FIFY

me too

I disagree. We just won a National Championship. The only team out of those schools you listed who can say that about the last 3 years is Alabama

Everyone said that the class following the National Championship would be the best ever.  Last years class the players already had relationships with recruiters and coaches and had made up their minds.  It's not panning out the way everyone thought or said.  It really hurt having Gus leave.  I know we are in the hunt for a lot of these players but I don't see us getting anyone really big time.  Cassanova and Diggs are about the best I think were going to get at this point.  I really hope I'm wrong.  I just really think the lack of an OC and the time it's taking to get one has really hurt us in recruits eyes. How could it not, honestly think about it. It makes us looked unorganized and gives the impression that coaches don't want to come here. I know that's not the truth but to an 17-18 year old kid that's being told all sorts of things from other programs.  I wouldn't commit to play somewhere when I didn't know who my coaches were or what the plan was going to be.  Bama lost their OC and replaced him with in a couple days, Florida lost Weis, and replaced him quickly with a hot name OC that has had success.  Those are two of our biggest rivals on and off the field and they moved on quickly.  I love Chiz and all that he's done for Auburn but he really needs to make a big splash for us to finish strong.  I think the new DC was a great choice for us but if the new OC isn't someone impressive the big recruits are going to pass up on us.  Then I'm afraid we'll end up trying to raid programs like Southern Miss for recruits.  The year after a BCS title recruits should be begging to play at Auburn and the SEC.  If our class finishes outside the top 10 I'll be greatly disappointed.  We've already lost by far our 2 best recruits.  I love Auburn and believe in the Chiz, I'd just hoped for more with this class. 

Where to start with this? I don't believe "everyone" said class following BCS champ woulod be best ever. Most say it takes a year or two to see the bump. Gus leving had little effect on the class, imo. I mean, most of the class was in already when he left. We havent lost our BEST two, imo. That's very subjective bt we have a plethora of talent left in this class. Recruits don't "beg" to play anywhere. And I don't think that they ever have. Also, if this class finishes outside the top 10 and you are disappointed, I recommend thinking more positive and realigning yhour priorities. I say be diapointed with poor performance on the field, but finising outside the top 10 is nothing to be down about. It happens and will continue to happ-en to EVERYONE. :wedance:

A year or two before the bump shows?  That's crazy, these kids are 17-18 years old and the only thing that matters is the team that just won.  And in the last 2 weeks we've lost 2 of our top recruits.  And Yeldon to the dark side.  And the way his flip went down was even worse for Auburn.  He'd obviously changed his mind a few days/weeks before and was coached up to wait and have his highschool coach release a statement.  And that hit right at the blackout period where coaches and recruits can't talk.  I'm just glad it's over even though once again nobody saw this hire coming.  I'm ready for a strong finish and a great 2012 season.  :aufb:

Archived