Recruiting Class

auburnpride99

Everyone said that the class following the National Championship would be the best ever.  Last years class the players already had relationships with recruiters and coaches and had made up their minds.  It's not panning out the way everyone thought or said.  It really hurt having Gus leave.  I know we are in the hunt for a lot of these players but I don't see us getting anyone really big time.  Cassanova and Diggs are about the best I think were going to get at this point.  I really hope I'm wrong.  I just really think the lack of an OC and the time it's taking to get one has really hurt us in recruits eyes. How could it not, honestly think about it. It makes us looked unorganized and gives the impression that coaches don't want to come here. I know that's not the truth but to an 17-18 year old kid that's being told all sorts of things from other programs.  I wouldn't commit to play somewhere when I didn't know who my coaches were or what the plan was going to be.  Bama lost their OC and replaced him with in a couple days, Florida lost Weis, and replaced him quickly with a hot name OC that has had success.  Those are two of our biggest rivals on and off the field and they moved on quickly.  I love Chiz and all that he's done for Auburn but he really needs to make a big splash for us to finish strong.  I think the new DC was a great choice for us but if the new OC isn't someone impressive the big recruits are going to pass up on us.  Then I'm afraid we'll end up trying to raid programs like Southern Miss for recruits.  The year after a BCS title recruits should be begging to play at Auburn and the SEC.  If our class finishes outside the top 10 I'll be greatly disappointed.  We've already lost by far our 2 best recruits.  I love Auburn and believe in the Chiz, I'd just hoped for more with this class. 

Well your hope is based on a myth by the "recruiting experts". Teams usually get a slight bump the year after winning the national title. The big bump comes in the 3rd football season after the title. This is probably because relationships are built with recruits as early as their 9th grade year. And don't worry about the OC. You will be very jappy, especially if the 49ers lose today.

EDIT: I just created a new word, jappy...meaning jumping happy.

You can not say that the time since Auburn's National Championship has been normal times.  Yes we lost Coach Malzahn and that has impacted recruiting slightly.  Not having an OC in place for over a month has had minimal impact on recruiting.  The position coaches are more important in recruiting anyway.  Don't compare our hiring process to other coaches hiring processes.  They are not looking for the same thing.  

As for recruits, we do not know who we have committed at this time.  Yes, there are 15 public commitments but I assure you Coach Chizik has more commitments than that.  People (opponents) will put the impressions and perceptions you mentioned in recruits heads.  It is up to our staff to refute them and they have done an excellent job of it.  Our opponents make a big deal of creating negative perceptions.  We, as Auburn fans, should not be substantiating the perceptions by stating the same things our opponents are stating.  

Stay positive and have faith in our staff to get the right OC and to get the right signees on February 1st.    

I say we finish in the 5-9 range

This has been his thought all along. Even though he is a big, sarcastic, goofy, yellow bird trust him on this one. He knows a lot more about football that one would think from his pic.  ;D

You can not say that the time since Auburn's National Championship has been normal times.  Yes we lost Coach Malzahn and that has impacted recruiting slightly.  Not having an OC in place for over a month has had minimal impact on recruiting.  The position coaches are more important in recruiting anyway.  Don't compare our hiring process to other coaches hiring processes.  They are not looking for the same thing.  

As for recruits, we do not know who we have committed at this time.  Yes, there are 15 public commitments but I assure you Coach Chizik has more commitments than that.  People (opponents) will put the impressions and perceptions you mentioned in recruits heads.  It is up to our staff to refute them and they have done an excellent job of it.  Our opponents make a big deal of creating negative perceptions.  We, as Auburn fans, should not be substantiating the perceptions by stating the same things our opponents are stating.  

Stay positive and have faith in our staff to get the right OC and to get the right signees on February 1st.    

slightly?  I really disagree with you on this one.  Offensive recruits came to Auburn to play under a simple system that put up big numbers.  Malzahn was the selling point.

Now, can we have success with offensive recruits without Malzahn.  Absolutely, Auburn sells itself but Malzahn is what got them on campus.  We need to get a great OC and accept that the offensive recruiting is kind of shot for this year.  We go out and put up good numbers next year without Malzahn and get back on track with recruiting.

On another note, I do think we close strong with defensive recruits and I think that is what we need more than anything in this class.

"With big names left on the Big Board, Auburn looking for strong finish in recruiting rankings"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/with_big_names_left_on_the_big.html

Excerpts:

"The Tigers are used to strong finishes, landing Top 3 finishes in at least one major recruiting service in the last two years. With 16 commitments, Auburn will have to pick up the pace this time. Auburn's recruiting class is ranked 20th nationally by Rivals and 247 Sports and 21st by Scout.  

"There are some enormous names left on the board. I think they're going to close in a manner we expect them to close, and can wind up with the kind of class we thought from the start."  

Auburn's secret weapon may be the recruiting of assistant coaches Trooper Taylor, Curtis Luper and Tommy Thigpen.  

"These guys are elite recruiters. They're the guys most people are looking to close this thing out. I expect them to close strong in these final days," Simmons said."

slightly?  I really disagree with you on this one.  Offensive recruits came to Auburn to play under a simple system that put up big numbers.  Malzahn was the selling point.

Now, can we have success with offensive recruits without Malzahn.  Absolutely, Auburn sells itself but Malzahn is what got them on campus.  We need to get a great OC and accept that the offensive recruiting is kind of shot for this year.  We go out and put up good numbers next year without Malzahn and get back on track with recruiting.

On another note, I do think we close strong with defensive recruits and I think that is what we need more than anything in this class.

Coach Malzahn did get some on campus but the recruiting was done by the position coaches.  Coach Malzahn recruited the QBs, that was it.   After he left, too many recruits said it wouldn't make any difference to them.  The two that decommitted had very little if anything to do with him leaving.  I think it was pretty much expected all along that he would be moving on and up after this season.   

Don't worry so much man. We have something like 12 or 13 highly ranked players who still have us very high on their board. Even if we strike out on half of them, that leaves us with 15 or so recruits rated four stars or better, which would put us, as BB said, somewhere between 5-9, unless somehow we pull 3 five stars (not impossible, btw). If we fill out the class with one five star and, say, 6 four stars, which is not even all that unlikely, we finish in the top 5.

Would put those three coaches up against anyone in the country.

me too

These same coaches are getting worked by Ua Uga LsU and UF right now...

me too

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If it is at all possible, would you like to explain this one please? :dunno: :dunno:

By the way, I'm not sure why you would say we lost "by far our two best recruits". I mean, I can at least understand Yeldon, because of where he's ranked by the recruiting services, but by those same services Louis wasn't even the best receiver in our class, much less the second best overall recruit...

The aubsession of our piers to ruin Chizik and our program is in full force against us on the recruitin trail.

The bammerham news continues to take shots on us on a daily basis.  Nothing but gloom and doom and

how the program is going down the tubes...Yes this gets out to recruits and and the perception is nothing

positive especaily when the papers are full of the great infamous Satan, and their bogus NC.  They listed

the towns that the Crimson caravan were going to be at, and we get nothing..So yea it is hard for the

coaches to recruit when everyone is saying the wheels are coming off at AU.  I have faith in out staff and

I know if will be ok,,,,but then again I do have my Orange and Blue glasses on, also my AU sweatshirt, AU socks

I guess you get the picture.........

The aubsession of our piers to ruin Chizik and our program is in full force against us on the recruitin trail.

The bammerham news continues to take shots on us on a daily basis.  Nothing but gloom and doom and

how the program is going down the tubes...Yes this gets out to recruits and and the perception is nothing

positive especaily when the papers are full of the great infamous Satan, and their bogus NC.  They listed

the towns that the Crimson caravan were going to be at, and we get nothing..So yea it is hard for the

coaches to recruit when everyone is saying the wheels are coming off at AU.  I have faith in out staff and

I know if will be ok,,,,but then again I do have my Orange and Blue glasses on, also my AU sweatshirt, AU socks

I guess you get the picture.........

And with all that effort we have only lost one true commit to all their negativity/ TJ was all turd long before it was public so he does not count...So just relax and enjoy the first week of February/

me too

Let me ask a question:

How open has Chizik been about decisions within the Auburn football program?

Answer: Not very.

How many of you knew that Chizik had already selected Van Gorder and hired him?

Answer: Not many

What you think about our recruiting right now may not be anywhere close to reality. If Chizik keeps these decisions close to the vest, then why would we be whining about stuff we have no idea about? For all we know, Chizik has had an OC in place for weeks. And the recruits you think are wavering, could be all Auburn already. Keep in mind that our recruiters are not novices. They know EXACTLY how to play the game. Saban didn't write the book on recruiting, he may think he did, but he didn't. How do we know that our staff isn't stringing other teams along to limit their productiveness?

Have faith in our staff, they are the BEST in the nation at what they do. War Eagle!

me too

Let me ask a question:

How open has Chizik been about decisions within the Auburn football program?

Answer: Not very.

How many of you knew that Chizik had already selected Van Gorder and hired him?

Answer: Not many

What you think about our recruiting right now may not be anywhere close to reality. If Chizik keeps these decisions close to the vest, then why would we be whining about stuff we have no idea about? For all we know, Chizik has had an OC in place for weeks. And the recruits you think are wavering, could be all Auburn already. Keep in mind that our recruiters are not novices. They know EXACTLY how to play the game. Saban didn't write the book on recruiting, he may think he did, but he didn't. How do we know that our staff isn't stringing other teams along to limit their productiveness?

Have faith in our staff, they are the BEST in the nation at what they do. War Eagle!

Reality (good or bad) will hit us squarely in the face on NSD.

wde

'And the recruits you think are wavering, could be all Auburn already. Keep in mind that our recruiters are not novices. They know EXACTLY how to play the game.'

Excellent point.

These coaches who created the Big Cat Weekend and that traveling road thingie have not suddenly forgotten how to recruit.

Archived