OL to DL

WarDamn2010

I know it's been mentioned before, but if we were to land Kozan, that would be 7 linemen this class. Coupled with 2 classes before them, thats a ton. What are the chances that we may see some of these guys get a look at DT?

I know it's been mentioned before, but if we were to land Kozan, that would be 7 linemen this class. Coupled with 2 classes before them, thats a ton. What are the chances that we may see some of these guys get a look at DT?

50/50  ;)

Even though we had the #1 OL class in the nation in 2010, most of those guys are gone.  Roszell Gayden and Brandon Mosely were junior college transfers, and they are both gone.  Ed Christian got hurt and will not play again.  Shon Coleman is still recovering from cancer.  That leaves just 2-3 from that class, with only John Sullen remaining from the 2009 class.  There were no signees in the 2008 class that ever enrolled, so our 2012 offensive line will have a strong representation from the 2011 and 2012 signees.  Thankfully, we red-shirted GRob and Westerman last year, and they along with Callahan and Miller, will be able to go through spring drills. 

I can see 1-2 switch to the DL eventually, but I don't see it happening immediately.  OL is/was a big area of need for this team, and the coaches are addressing that need in force this year.

Let's just put ten OL out there and direct snap it to the RB.

I freaking love this idea.

Maybe, but I bet Ricardo, Jaquay, and Stefon (Diggs) would hate it.

There was a time when Auburn recruited a lot of DLs and converted some to OL. Sometimes it worked but it takes a lot of extra coaching and motivating to accomplish this. We probably don't know or remember some of the times it didn't work. With only one OL coach this takes a lot of his time away from other responsibilities (recruiting, teaching plays, and schemes, and finetuning talents of the other offensive linemen.)  I think AU is at a point where we can recruit 4* and 5* talent already proven as outstanding offensive lineman. We have an outstanding OL coach and recruiter. I think 2011 was a bump caused by aforementioned circumstances, a perfect storm of a few recruiting mistakes, injuries, illnesses, etc. occurring almost simulaaneously.  Converting the other way is more unusual but I think maybe Leff has the ability to do this.  Many of our OL signees played both ways in high school but for some reason I think he would be the most likely to convert if opportunity arises.

I must missed it but when did Stefon Diggs sign with Auburn? I just knew his announcement was scheduled for the 10th.

Guest Montressor

Not on every play, but would be nice on 3rd/4th down and short.  ;D

Usually guys are OL because their skill set fits that position. They are OL because they cannot be DL due to their limitations. DL are quicker and faster and have much better lateral movement. OL usually react better to sound (QB cadence) where DL react better to visual stimulus (ball snap and line movement). I won't say it never happens but guys that can't play DL play OL and not the other way.

Not on every play, but would be nice on 3rd/4th down and short.   ;D

Call it the King Kong Jumbo Package.

There was a time when Auburn recruited a lot of DLs and converted some to OL. Sometimes it worked but it takes a lot of extra coaching and motivating to accomplish this. We probably don't know or remember some of the times it didn't work. With only one OL coach this takes a lot of his time away from other responsibilities (recruiting, teaching plays, and schemes, and finetuning talents of the other offensive linemen.)  I think AU is at a point where we can recruit 4* and 5* talent already proven as outstanding offensive lineman. We have an outstanding OL coach and recruiter. I think 2011 was a bump caused by aforementioned circumstances, a perfect storm of a few recruiting mistakes, injuries, illnesses, etc. occurring almost simulaaneously.  Converting the other way is more unusual but I think maybe Leff has the ability to do this.  Many of our OL signees played both ways in high school but for some reason I think he would be the most likely to convert if opportunity arises.

The most successful DL to OL conversion in recent memory was Ben Grubbs, correct?

The most successful DL to OL conversion in recent memory was Ben Grubbs, correct?

Correct

Look at the height and build of our offensive linemen.  Then look at the defensive linemen.  They're different.

A guy who's 6'5" or 6'6" had better be pretty darn mobile to play defense.

Moving players from DL to OL or vice versa is difficult at the college level. It has generally worked itself out by the time they graduate from High School. Defensive players are usually best when they play with wild, reckless abandon (if they can do that and maintain technique within the scheme, they will be great, if they cannot, they will give up too many big plays to be on the field consistently).

The OL generally prefer to be a little more organized and be more disciplined. More the sneaky mean, tough folks rather than the wildly overt characters. Coaches have told me they can look in a player's locker and tell whether they play offense or defense.

In any event, changing a player at the college level from OL to DL, or the other way around, will almost require a change in that player's "nature". While it can happen, not likely in most circumstances. And I think it more likely that one could change from OL to DL than the other way around because they are not likely to become more organized and more disciplined after they reach college level.

Legend: OL to DL   DL to OL

'02 signees:

Jonathan Palmer signed as a DL, starter as OL

Ben Grubbs signed as DE, multi-year starter & 1st rd draft choice as OL

'04 signees:

Tyronne Green signed as DL, multi-year starter & 4th rd draft choice as OL

'06 signees:

Byron Isom signed as DT, multi-year starter as OL

Mike Blanc signed as OL, multi-year starter as DT

Ricks signed as OL, started as DT (who can forget his big play in the '09 WVU game?)

Bart Eddins signed as DT, started a few games in '09 and valuable reserve in '10 at OL

'07 signees

Nick Fairley signed as OT (out of HS) - then to JuCO and re-signed in '09 as DT.  Nuff said...

A.J. Greene signed as DE, multi-year starter as OL

It could be a difference in philosophy but so far players are "sticking" in the Chizik era more than they did under Tubbs

If I recall correctly, Nick Fairley was originally projected as an offensive lineman when signed.

You are absolutely correct, Counsel. If he had made it to AU right out of high school we may have never realized what an impact DL he could be.  Everyone projected him as an OL and he most surely would have quickly moved to the top of depth chart as an offensive lineman.  I think DL in juco was a trial basis and it worked.  Rest is History.

If we didn't have so many DEs, I tell you one player that would probably get a look and that would be TE Darrion Hutcherson. At 6'7"-247 lbs, he would be quite a DE. 

Not on every play, but would be nice on 3rd/4th down and short.   ;D

Didn't you hear... With O class this year we will never be in 3rd or 4th down!  :thumbsup:

Archived