2013 4* RB Ty Isaac (USC signee & transferred to Michigan)

buzzardspoint

Kid looks good but I am not sure which impresses me more, the blocking he gets or the fact that they ran the same play eveery single time in that one game and he still was going for  40 yard tds with the defense knowing what was coming.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW - Joliet Catholic is the alma mater of Mike Alstott as well (TB Buccaneers).  Joliet is a tough town with one of the largest state prisons.... the Chicago Catholic league is usually known for pretty tough football players.  So I'm a little surprised at the level of competition in some of the highlight videos too, but the highlights from the University of Illinois stadium are the state championships so maybe he's just a man among boys.  And is ready for SEC ball-

I really like that AU is getting interest from highly rated kids from all over the US.  It's nice to recruit the state of Alabama hard but I'm not sure it's in our best interest to put too many of our eggs in that basket and spend too much time on kids who have Bama on their top two or three list or have a Bama oriented family.  How many of those guys have broken our hearts in recent years after we spent all our time trying to convert them?   

If a player is willing to seriously look outside his home region, we have as good a chance as anyone and don't have to worry as much about the recruiting monkey business that we have in Alabama.  A beautiful campus, a reasonable sized enrollment, good academics, great game day traditions and the SEC mystique...not many of the power schools from other parts of the country have more to offer. 

:thumbsup:

never in AU history has the school been able to get so many highly rated kids to visit the school and even give consideration to Auburn. 

I can't say that I necessarily agree with this...Pat Dye brought in a fair amount of talent, too.

Mod...you could be right but in those days nearly 30 years ago, the coaches did their own scouting and there was not near as much head to head recruiting.  For the most part, fans had never heard of most players the schools signed except for a few of the All-State players.    Most AU players of that era were from AL, GA and FL...basically within driving distance of the school.    You could ask some of the better players from those times but I bet most of them only had a few serious offers, only made a few actual campus visits and schools and coaches were more secretive about who they were recruiting. 

Looking at Dye in hindsight, he was definitely a good talent scout and developer of players. Time will tell about the current staff.

FWIW - Joliet Catholic is the alma mater of Mike Alstott as well (TB Buccaneers).  Joliet is a tough town with one of the largest state prisons.... the Chicago Catholic league is usually known for pretty tough football players.  So I'm a little surprised at the level of competition in some of the highlight videos too, but the highlights from the University of Illinois stadium are the state championships so maybe he's just a man among boys.  And is ready for SEC ball-

Joliet Jake was a favorite of mine.    :cool:

Mod...you could be right but in those days nearly 30 years ago, the coaches did their own scouting and there was not near as much head to head recruiting.  For the most part, fans had never heard of most players the schools signed except for a few of the All-State players.    Most AU players of that era were from AL, GA and FL...basically within driving distance of the school.    You could ask some of the better players from those times but I bet most of them only had a few serious offers, only made a few actual campus visits and schools and coaches were more secretive about who they were recruiting.   

Looking at Dye in hindsight, he was definitely a good talent scout and developer of players. Time will tell about the current staff.

This is true in some aspects.... my best friend was the state of Al. top running back in 1969. He had 12 scholly offers UT, UA, AU, OM, MS, KY, UGA, GT, Memphis, Illinois, OSU, and USM. He only visited UT, UA, AU, OM and MSU because we could drive to those schools and I was on every trip he took. We went to UA three times and AU 3 times, and the other 3 schools only once.

I really like that AU is getting interest from highly rated kids from all over the US.   It's nice to recruit the state of Alabama hard but I'm not sure it's in our best interest to put too many of our eggs in that basket and spend too much time on kids who have Bama on their top two or three list or have a Bama oriented family.   How many of those guys have broken our hearts in recent years after we spent all our time trying to convert them?    

If a player is willing to seriously look outside his home region, we have as good a chance as anyone and don't have to worry as much about the recruiting monkey business that we have in Alabama.   A beautiful campus, a reasonable sized enrollment, good academics, great game day traditions and the SEC mystique...not many of the power schools from other parts of the country have more to offer.  

:thumbsup:

It's great for the AU program that we are going after the top players from all over the country. Now that we are bumping the 85 limit and will be signing smaller classes in the near future, it is also good for another reason. It creates a sense of urgency in the Ala kids, as well as the Ga/Fla kids, that they better get off the dime before the classes begin to fill up because we are going after the top players wherever they may be.

Guest Tigereagle03

*EDIT* Please do not post premium material. This is the paraphrased information:

Isaac visted Auburn Friday night with his family for his younger sister's cheerleading competition. He visted with the coaches and got a feel for the Loveliest Village, and came away impressed. Said he'd stay in touch with everybody down here. Also said location not a factor, because he has family in Mississippi and Tennessee.

He averaged 13 yards a carry and a touchdown every 5 carries as a junior. Team lost state championship game 70-45 in spite of 515 yards on 26 carries from Isaac. That works out to a hair under 20 yards per carry. He also scored all six touchdowns for his team.

Kid looks good but I hope he can learn another play.  Jk. Although it did look like they ran the same play over and over

Actually, it is all the more impressive much of his yardage came from a single play. You know the defenses were keying on him and couldn't begin to stop him. See the state championship game where he gained over 500 yards. He has the b est combination of size/power/speed I've seen in quite awhile.

never in AU history has the school been able to get so many highly rated kids to visit the school and even give consideration to Auburn. 

I can't say that I necessarily agree with this...Pat Dye brought in a fair amount of talent, too.

Yeah, this sort of statement is starting to get insulting. People are acting like AU has never had any success in football before, just to excuse the fact that we lost out on a few of the highest ranked players we were after this past class. Stop insulting AU's history, people. We are one of THE winning-est programs over the last 30 years, and we have had some DARN good football players play at AU. That '04 team seemed to have a stud or two. It would also be nice if we would stop making excuses. We've only had one off year in recruiting under Chizik, and it was still a pretty GOOD year, just not what it could have been. That being said, I don't care if we're fishing in a galactic sized pond, you are either landing top ten players at positions of need, or you're not.

Yeah, this sort of statement is starting to get insulting. People are acting like AU has never had any success in football before, just to excuse the fact that we lost out on a few of the highest ranked players we were after this past class. Stop insulting AU's history, people. We are one of THE winning-est programs over the last 30 years, and we have had some DARN good football players play at AU. That '04 team seemed to have a stud or two. It would also be nice if we would stop making excuses. We've only had one off year in recruiting under Chizik, and it was still a pretty GOOD year, just not what it could have been. That being said, I don't care if we're fishing in a galactic sized pond, you are either landing top ten players at positions of need, or you're not.

In fairness, I think there are a lot of young folks who visit the board.  With that comes the opinion, that the latest is the greatest and has never been done before.    I don't take it as an insult as much as a skewed perspective :)

I assure you I was not alive for the 1913 season (but Golf could probably tell us all about it.) 

I imagine they had some pretty good talent that year too.  (you don't have to be old to realize that AU has had some pretty darn good teams and talent over the years, you just have to be interested enough to read about the history.)

Here are Auburn's games in 1913, with opponent records, and final score.

Mercer                (2-5-1)      53-0

Florida                (4-3-0)      55-0

Clemson,            (4-4-0)      20-0

Mississippi State  (6-1-1)      34-0

LSU                    (6-1-2)        7-0 

Georgia Tech        (7-2-0)      20-0

Vanderbilt            (5-3-0)      14-6 

Georgia              (6-2-0)        21-7

I assure you I was not alive for the 1913 season (but Golf could probably tell us all about it.) 

I imagine they had some pretty good talent that year too.  (you don't have to be old to realize that AU has had some pretty darn good teams and talent over the years, you just have to be interested enough to read about the history.)

Mercer                (2-5-1)       53-0

Florida                (4-3-0)       55-0

Clemson,             (4-4-0)       20-0

Mississippi State   (6-1-1)       34-0

LSU                    (6-1-2)         7-0 

Georgia Tech        (7-2-0)       20-0

Vanderbilt            (5-3-0)       14-6 

Georgia               (6-2-0)        21-7

^^THIS^^

That 1913 bunch was pretty incredible, and the following year's defense did not allow a point the entire season (we had one scoreless tie, but no other blemishes). Seems like I remember we were undefeated with one tie in 1908 as well. 57 and 58 were pretty outstanding years, too.

And then you get to Sullivan and Beasley, the Amazins', Punt Bama Punt, Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, William Andrews, Bo Over the Top, NYT National Championship in 83, Tracy Rocker, Iron Bowl 89, 20 straight in 93 and 94, Dameyune does it all, Rudi runs for the record, Go Crazy Cadillac, undefeated in 04...

Yeah, there's been a lot of talent come through the Loveliest Village, and that talent has done a lot of good things. This is why we keep saying Auburn is still Auburn, no matter what; we've got a pretty good track record.

Mercer                (2-5-1)       53-0

Florida                (4-3-0)       55-0

Clemson,             (4-4-0)       20-0

Mississippi State   (6-1-1)       34-0

LSU                    (6-1-2)         7-0 

Georgia Tech        (7-2-0)       20-0

Vanderbilt            (5-3-0)       14-6 

Georgia               (6-2-0)        21-7

^^THIS^^

That 1913 bunch was pretty incredible, and the following year's defense did not allow a point the entire season (we had one scoreless tie, but no other blemishes). Seems like I remember we were undefeated with one tie in 1908 as well. 57 and 58 were pretty outstanding years, too.

And then you get to Sullivan and Beasley, the Amazins', Punt Bama Punt, Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, William Andrews, Bo Over the Top, NYT National Championship in 83, Tracy Rocker, Iron Bowl 89, 20 straight in 93 and 94, Dameyune does it all, Rudi runs for the record, Go Crazy Cadillac, undefeated in 04...

Yeah, there's been a lot of talent come through the Loveliest Village, and that talent has done a lot of good things. This is why we keep saying Auburn is still Auburn, no matter what; we've got a pretty good track record.

In the old days we didn't have all the camps to compare people from small schools against kids from big schools so it was a much more inexact science. That is why people like BO were not rated anywhere near where they should have been. Our coaches knew Bo should have been a five we knew he should have been a running back Bama thought he would be a great Linebacker.

Even know there are many kids for personal reasons, financial reasons, etc who don't go to all the camps so are rated lower than they should be.  Finally until you work with a player you don't know what is inside him. Two guys 6 feet 4 inches tall run 4.35 40 same vertical leap same arm length one goes on to become all pro one for some reason (Usiually work ethic) never even becomes a starter.  Stars count more 5 stars percentage wise make an impact then 3 stars pecentage why but stars are not the end all.  So while we want to go after the best players a good coach sometimes sees something in a lesser ranked player that he thinks is worth taking a chance on. We have had Walk-ons make a huge impact at Auburn over the years. 

Archived