Under Armour equipment

chimesAU

I've noticed more and more of our players are switching to UA's new "high ankle cleats ". Just wondering if anyone had any firsthand knowledge as to how effective they are and if they're truly giving our players a competitive advantage.

On a similar note, I was wondering how everyone felt about Under Armour equipment vs. Nike, in general . As someone who lifts,runs and hikes religiously,  I prefer Nike products almost exclusively. IMO, Under Armour's product line has been getting better each season but Nike still makes a slightly superior product. I don't have any experience with UA's football equipment( cleats,jerseys, gloves, etc), so maybe that's a whole different story altogether.

I want the best for our players and want them to have every possible advantage on the field. Anyone have any insight or thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest difference in Under Armour and Nike, to me, is that Nike has some of the lower end merchandise that is not as good of quality. The more expensive Nike stuff, from what I've been told, is on par with Under Armour, but I've actually preferred Under Armour since before Auburn signed on with them (I was EXTREMELY excited when it happened, though).

There is one exception to this rule: the cleats were crap not too long ago, at least from what I heard, but they have improved significantly. The high ankle cleats you referred to are supposed to provide the best ankle support of any such shoe.

My wife's a runner and prefers UA equipment.  That's about all the insight I can provide.

Interesting. I have a pair of UA shorts that I run in.  I love the cut and how well they're made, even though they aren't running shorts. They're actually the exact shorts CBVG has been wearing at practice and I'm sure they're very similar to the shorts the players practice in. Thanks for your input, fjenkins.

Anyone else know anything about Under Armour's football equipment?

So many ankle/foot injuries seemingly since the Under Armour switch. Maybe it's just me. Gabe went down with what was said a foot injury and is out for the spring.

I don't remember for sure, but can't we go all the way back to Tristan Davis in terms of ankle/foot injuries since the Under Armour switch? (Maybe a bad example as he was injury prone the whole time it seemed)

The biggest difference in Under Armour and Nike, to me, is that Nike has some of the lower end merchandise that is not as good of quality. The more expensive Nike stuff, from what I've been told, is on par with Under Armour, but I've actually preferred Under Armour since before Auburn signed on with them (I was EXTREMELY excited when it happened, though).

There is one exception to this rule: the cleats were crap not too long ago, at least from what I heard, but they have improved significantly. The high ankle cleats you referred to are supposed to provide the best ankle support of any such shoe.

I do agree that Nike's equipment spans a wider spectrum of quality. Under Armour does seem to try to produce exclusively high end merchandise.

I remember hearing the same negative comments about UA's cleats a few years ago. To be honest, that was one of the main things on my mind when starting this thread. As I said earlier, I feel that UA's product line has evolved and improved every year so I'm hopeful/confident that those issues have been rectified.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Red.

So many ankle/foot injuries seemingly since the Under Armour switch. Maybe it's just me. Gabe went down with what was said a foot injury and is out for the spring.

I don't remember for sure, but can't we go all the way back to Tristan Davis in terms of ankle/foot injuries since the Under Armour switch? (Maybe a bad example as he was injury prone the whole time it seemed)

Nosa too.

I've noticed more and more of our players are switching to UA's new "high ankle cleats ". Just wondering if anyone had any firsthand knowledge as to how effective they are and if they're truly giving our players a competitive advantage.

On a similar note, I was wondering how everyone felt about Under Armour equipment vs. Nike, in general . As someone who lifts,runs and hikes religiously,  I prefer Nike products almost exclusively. IMO, Under Armour's product line has been getting better each season but Nike still makes a slightly superior product. I don't have any experience with UA's football equipment( cleats,jerseys, gloves, etc), so maybe that's a whole different story altogether.

I want the best for our players and want them to have every possible advantage on the field. Anyone have any insight or thoughts?

To answer your question about the high ankle cleats those are made because of most players getting their ankles taped. When they do this it covers up the logo on cleats. So the new cleat style was Under Armour's answer to that. As to how they perform I have no idea, but I've noticed a lot more players using that particular style in the practice videos so they must like them.

My only complaint about Under Armour is that most of their stuff is a little on the higher end of the price scale. It's hard to justify paying $70 for an Auburn polo. Having said that I'd still rather pay $70 for an Under Armour shirt than $40 for a nike one. I hate nike.

I have Under Armour stuff that I work out in and I love most of it. I have several pairs of the compression shorts and pants for when it gets cold, I have a couple of the looser fitting tops too. I run/cross train outside.

However I tried the shoes once and I really didn't like them. They didn't hold up very well and didn't give great support. Now I'm a big guy, 6-4 230, and I go pretty hard but they should have held up for more than a few months. I'm back in my New Balance shoes now. Several of my friends have tried the Under Armour shoes and feel the same way about them.

Don't know about the football gear though as my football days are behind me.

To answer your question about the high ankle cleats those are made because of most players getting their ankles taped. When they do this it covers up the logo on cleats. So the new cleat style was Under Armour's answer to that. As to how they perform I have no idea, but I've noticed a lot more players using that particular style in the practice videos so they must like them.

My only complaint about Under Armour is that most of their stuff is a little on the higher end of the price scale. It's hard to justify paying $70 for an Auburn polo. Having said that I'd still rather pay $70 for an Under Armour shirt than $40 for a nike one. I hate nike.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^

It cuts down on "spatting" the ankles for support.

On a personal UA note, I used their equipment throughout my football career when they first got started. 1999-06. High school and college. I still use their running shoes - great wear for 70 bucks - and have had the same pair for 3 years. I know, change shoes often, but these are just now hitting the "wear while cutting grass only" category. Great company and great equipment.

I have Under Armour stuff that I work out in and I love most of it. I have several pairs of the compression shorts and pants for when it gets cold, I have a couple of the looser fitting tops too. I run/cross train outside.

However I tried the shoes once and I really didn't like them. They didn't hold up very well and didn't give great support. Now I'm a big guy, 6-4 230, and I go pretty hard but they should have held up for more than a few months. I'm back in my New Balance shoes now. Several of my friends have tried the Under Armour shoes and feel the same way about them.

I've always preferred New Balance for casual and running shoes; running for soccer taught me very quickly how good they are. Pretty sure I had Mizzuno baseball spikes, and I think I did have Nike football cleats, but I honestly can't remember about the soccer cleats I wore.

Thanks everyone for the input, so far. I realize the cleats are designed to give more ankle support but, since they're somewhat of a radical design, I didn't know if there were any drawbacks to them. As gAUlf noted, I've seen more of our players switching to them each year so they must be doing something right.

gAUlf, I also feel your pain on paying $70 for an Auburn Under Armour polo. I recently decided to finally take the plunge and buy one, and there are things that I like and dislike about it. The material is very lightweight and "breathable " ,which is a huge plus for me. It also fits better than any polo I've ever owned.One downside I've found with the polo( and Under Armour in general) is the excessive amount of stitching and overlapping fabric. I've noticed this with my AU polo and with Under Armour's compression shorts. It almost seems like they're just trying to do too much and it seems to slightly negatively affect the product.

I've always preferred New Balance for casual and running shoes; running for soccer taught me very quickly how good they are. Pretty sure I had Mizzuno baseball spikes, and I think I did have Nike football cleats, but I honestly can't remember about the soccer cleats I wore.

Mizuno baseball spikes were the rage when i was playing baseball, they were high quality and very durable spikes. I wore Under Armor cleats in football and never had an issue with quality, design, or ankle integrity. As for soccer boots, your best option is to order online from over seas and get the kangaroo leather cleats. Apparently there is something about the way balls are made today and how kangaroo leather cleats grip the ball. They are a lot pricier, but in terms of quality they are the best bang for the buck if you are truly serious about soccer.

Right there with you on the cleat preference, Red. Always preferred Mizuno baseball cleats and Nike for football. I know that Nike makes a very good football cleat so it does make me sometimes wonder if our guys MIGHT be better off in Nike cleats. Not saying I know for sure one way or the other but I definitely find myself thinking about it when we play Nike teams.

Ian, you're the first person to comment who's worn UA football equipment. I realize it was a few years ago and they're line has bound to have evolved since, but what were your impressions? Did you ever wear Nike so that you could compare the two?

Mizuno baseball spikes were the rage when i was playing baseball, they were high quality and very durable spikes. I wore Under Armor cleats in football and never had an issue with quality, design, or ankle integrity. As for soccer boots, your best option is to order online from over seas and get the kangaroo leather cleats. Apparently there is something about the way balls are made today and how kangaroo leather cleats grip the ball. They are a lot pricier, but in terms of quality they are the best bang for the buck if you are truly serious about soccer.

Mizzuno baseball cleats were awesome. I wore them in high school but always busted the seam on the outside of the foot. They offered a double-tooth look to the front so that you had two spikes instead of just one to push off with the toes.

Never used UA equip except for clothes but as far as shoes I prefer the Nike Free Runs to run around in. I like the feel of bare foot running.

Soccer was where I got my start so I get what your saying. When I played though I wore Adidas cleats and still do when I referee. I had Nike cleats for football but I would have worn Adidas cleats if they made them.

Right there with you on the cleat preference, Red. Always preferred Mizuno baseball cleats and Nike for football. I know that Nike makes a very good football cleat so it does make me sometimes wonder if our guys MIGHT be better off in Nike cleats. Not saying I know for sure one way or the other but I definitely find myself thinking about it when we play Nike teams.

Ian, you're the first person to comment who's worn UA football equipment. I realize it was a few years ago and they're line has bound to have evolved since, but what were your impressions? Did you ever wear Nike so that you could compare the two?

I did. I wore Nike under-gear - or whatever its called - like girdle and cool gear type technology for the cold. Hands down Under Armour was the best. It was the most comfortable and had the best performance IMO. I wore heat gear and cold gear all through my career. Keep in mind, a lot is personal preference as well as brand fandom.

Even then the standard was very high. They matched it with price, but have since come down substantially. I played college ball in the Mid-West and played a few games on the Great Lakes during November. Under Armour cool gear was the choice of the team. It withstood one game that had snow, rain and hail within a three hour period. I was chilly, but not cold.

Also, when I served in the Navy, it was big when doing boarding opps to wear UA cool gear underneath unis during the scorching hot Pacific days. From what I recall, Marines wore it as well during desert opps. Not a Marine, just a Navy Gunner, but pretty confident I am square up on that. Heat gear is the shizz.

Never used UA equip except for clothes but as far as shoes I prefer the Nike Free Runs to run around in. I like the feel of bare foot running.

+1

I own a pair of the Free Runs and the Lunarswift 3. Don't have a negative thing to say about either pair.

Also find it funny that everyone seems to agree on Mizuno baseball cleats. I always wore Nikes until my Jr. year of high school, when my coach recommended Mizunos. After the switch all I could think was, "Man, I've been missing out! "

I did. I wore Nike under-gear - or whatever its called - like girdle and heat gear for the cold. Hands down Under Armour was the best. It was the most comfortable and had the best performance IMO. I wore heat gear and cold gear all through my career. Keep in mind, a lot is personal preference as well as brand fandom.

Even then the standard was very high. They matched it with price, but have since come down substantially. I played college ball in the Mid-West and played a few games on the Great Lakes during November. Under Armour heat gear was the choice of the team. It withstood one game that had snow, rain and hail within a three hour period. I was chilly, but not cold.

Also, when I served in the Navy, it was big when doing boarding opps to wear underneath unis during the scorching hot Pacific days. From what I recall, Marines wore it as well during desert opps. Not a Marine, just a Navy Gunner, but pretty confident I am square up on that. Heat gear is the shizz.  <------(can i say that?)

THIS is what I wanted to hear. Glad to know that, in your opinion, our guys are provided with the best out there.

Now we need to find someone who's worn the new UA cleats. Maybe even secondhand knowledge from their son...paging Mr. Beach  ;D

As someone who runs/exercises every day and find it very dificult to find a shoe that is perfectly supportive and comfortable. I made the switch from Nike to UA about 2 years ago. I LOVE them, I have been wearing Nike for years due to the fact that they were the only thing I could find that was actually supportive and comfortable. Well the UA is twice as suportive and just as comfortable if not more so.

I'll never go back to Nike.

As for clothing, I have been wearing UA in and out of Military uniform for about 7 years now. I love it. I own some golf shirts that are waterwicking as well, and they are no where near as comfortable or cool as UA.

converse, baby!!!

(btw - ya'll sound like a bunch of girls talking about shoes and clothes)

I actually cut the grass in Converse. I bought them because I used to wear them as a kid and thought they'd be cool and nostalgic. Turns out they're horribly uncomfortable,heavy and just all around poor shoes. Didn't want the $40 I spent on them to be wasted though, so now they're yard work shoes.

Archived