Proschs role

GenesChin

I have been hearing that prosch is being used just as a bulldozer in the gap but anyone know why he isn't getting touched himself?

why cant we also make him into a Mike alstott or something in short yardage or as change of pace

I have been hearing that prosch is being used just as a bulldozer in the gap but anyone know why he isn't getting touched himself?

why cant we also make him into a Mike alstott or something in short yardage or as change of pace

May want to replace the 'd' with a 's'  ;)

I imagine he will get some touches. Getting rhythm and chemistry blocking for the half backs is probably what they are working on.

Perhaps short yardage situations. I also hear he has pretty good hands, so I would not be surprised to see a few out of the backfield passes being thrown his way.

nice bootleg passes after a chip block on the end. I'd imagine that they are more focused on timing, change of offense, and running from under center. A handoff to the FB isn't too much work. I imagine a lot of the OL blocking is the same. The only difference is the short hand off and the FB getting his hands right.

He doesn't get "touched", he's the one who does the "touching"...:laugh:

Seriously though, he didn't get many carries at Illinois, either. I don't expect him to carry the ball much for us, either, not with the ball carriers we've got on the roster. He's the sledgehammer to bust up the wall the defense tries to put up.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him used in the passing game, however.

Just commenting from some of the interviews posted.

It seems that at this point he is considered a blocker with some passing opportunities.

I would imagine the there will be a few plays for him to tote the rock when the defense ignores him though.

Jay has exactly 2 career rushes totaling 9 yards and 1 career reception for 1 yard. Just a hunch, but I don't think he was brought in to take carries away from our great stable of backs fellas. Ha! He made All-American last year for a reason and it wasn't his running/receiving talents. I think the coaches know exactly what they want him to do. It's not rocket science. Ha!  :laugh:

100-1.gif

Not to be a party pooper, but keep one thing in mind.  Jay Prosch has not oficially received his hardship waiver to even play this season yet.  Everything I've read seems to say it's a given, but everything I've experienced over the years, is even when there should be no problems, never assume there will be no problems.....Didn't UAB have a basketball player have to sit out the entire year when it was a no brainer that he should have been cleared to play?

60.gif

100-1.gif

Not to be a party pooper, but keep one thing in mind.  Jay Prosch has not oficially received his hardship waiver to even play this season yet.   Everything I've read seems to say it's a given, but everything I've experienced over the years, is even when there should be no problems, never assume there will be no problems.....Didn't UAB have a basketball player have to sit out the entire year when it was a no brainer that he should have been cleared to play?

60.gif

Yes, but that was not because of the NCAA.  His previous school would not give him a release.  Prosch already has his release from Illinois. 

100-1.gif

Not to be a party pooper, but keep one thing in mind.  Jay Prosch has not oficially received his hardship waiver to even play this season yet.   Everything I've read seems to say it's a given, but everything I've experienced over the years, is even when there should be no problems, never assume there will be no problems.....Didn't UAB have a basketball player have to sit out the entire year when it was a no brainer that he should have been cleared to play?

60.gif

I understand your concern because I shared it at one point. However, I have since then been informed that it is NCAA policy to allow a transferred player to play if the transfer is due to family reasons. A rule already exists and the NCAA would be in violation of its own policy if they did not allow him to play.

Also Jay Prosch said in an interview that he does not know of any plays where he will run the ball but there are some where he can be a receiver.  Does not mean that won't change though.

I hope they do draw up some plays for him, maybe a swing pass on the outside.  Can you imagine being a DB and seeing this guy coming around the edge?  Scary...

i think they will use him as a prototypical nfl FB.  he is there to block.  he will get 10-15 carries a year and 20-25 receptions a year.  if he blocks like everyone says he is already doing, he will be a mid to late round draft choice in 2 years.  the kid will have a nice pro career if he improves the next 2 years on what he did the last 2.  (oh yea, special teams will need to be in his future on the next level.)

not bad for a underrecruited LB coming out of high school.

i think they will use him as a prototypical nfl FB.  he is there to block.  he will get 10-15 carries a year and 20-25 receptions a year.  if he blocks like everyone says he is already doing, he will be a mid to late round draft choice in 2 years.  the kid will have a nice pro career if he improves the next 2 years on what he did the last 2.  (oh yea, special teams will need to be in his future on the next level.)

Both the caries and receptions seem awfully high. I'd see around 3-5 carries and 6-8 receptions being more likely. Too many other good options to take him out of his element as a lead blocker.

Both the caries and receptions seem awfully high. I'd see around 3-5 carries and 6-8 receptions being more likely. Too many other good options to take him out of his element as a lead blocker.

I could see him getting as many as 15 catches, possibly even more if drop off passes to him are successful. Remember, in addition to running routes out of the backfield, he'll be staying in to block for the QB a fair amount, and when protection breaks down, he becomes a viable option as a receiver, if only to avoid a sack.

I could see him getting as many as 15 catches, possibly even more if drop off passes to him are successful. Remember, in addition to running routes out of the backfield, he'll be staying in to block for the QB a fair amount, and when protection breaks down, he becomes a viable option as a receiver, if only to avoid a sack.

I suppose that I could see 15 being an absolute ceiling. Though I think it might still be a bit high. (And 25 is completely absurd; Lutz didn't even have that many last year). He'll definitely get the once-in-a-blue-moon designed pass thrown his way to keep the defense honest and what not. But you're right. Most of his receptions are likely to come on check-downs. I just don't know that those will be tremendously frequent either. I imagine on most designed passing plays that McCalebb in the flats would the primary check down, given the receiving prowess he showed last year.  I also think that, with Kiehl Frazier seeming to be the favorite to win the QB job, a lot of broken plays are likely to end in scrambles as opposed to dump-offs. I'm confident the coaches will get Prosch the touches that he needs, though.

I suppose that I could see 15 being an absolute ceiling. Though I think it might still be a bit high. (And 25 is completely absurd; Lutz didn't even have that many last year). He'll definitely get the once-in-a-blue-moon designed pass thrown his way to keep the defense honest and what not. But you're right. Most of his receptions are likely to come on check-downs. I just don't know that those will be tremendously frequent either. I imagine on most designed passing plays that McCalebb in the flats would the primary check down, given the receiving prowess he showed last year.  I also think that, with Kiehl Frazier seeming to be the favorite to win the QB job, a lot of broken plays are likely to end in scrambles as opposed to dump-offs. I'm confident the coaches will get Prosch the touches that he needs, though.

It's all about success. If defenses don't respect his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, he'll probably get passed to a little more frequently. Kinda like how in the national championship game, Oregon was leaving OMac alone if he didn't get the handoff on the speed sweep, so we threw him a couple of passes after speed sweep fakes.

If it works, great. If not, he's still a battering ram. Win win.

It's all about success. If defenses don't respect his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, he'll probably get passed to a little more frequently. Kinda like how in the national championship game, Oregon was leaving OMac alone if he didn't get the handoff on the speed sweep, so we threw him a couple of passes after speed sweep fakes.

If it works, great. If not, he's still a battering ram. Win win.

Agreed.

Archived