No. 3 Auburn Men's Golf Finishes in Second Place at SEC Championship

augolf1716

2nd round hurt us yesterday in trying to catch the turds. Good effort today

The No. 3 Auburn men’s golf team fired a 3-under 277 in the final round of the SEC Golf Championship to finish in second place at 6-under for the tournament on Sunday at the Seaside Course at Sea Island Golf Club. The Tigers finished six shots behind No. 2 Alabama.

“We played very well today,” Auburn head coach Nick Clinard said. “The first 12 holes, we kind of got it rolling. We missed a few putts, but we got to within one shot with five holes to play. I think the story of the week for us was we just couldn't close. We pressed too much. Our short game isn't as good as it needs to be. We have to make more putts to win championships."

Junior Blayne Barber led the Tigers after finishing tied for third, three shots behind medalist winner Justin Thomas of Alabama, for his sixth top-5 finish of the year. Barber carded a 3-under 67 to finish at 4-under for the tournament.

"We had a chance,” Barber said. “I know on my end, I couldn't get any putts to go. Nic (Carlsson) came back strong after yesterday. We played well. They just played better than us. You have to give credit to Alabama for that."

Freshman Michael Johnson finished tied for seventh at 1-under after carding a 2-over 72 on Sunday. The finish is Johnson’s first top-10 finish of the season since tying for third at the U.S. Collegiate.

Dominic Bozzelli jumped 15 spots to 15th on Sunday after shooting an even-70 on the day. Senior Will McCurdy finished tied for 27th while sophomore Niclas Carlsson finished in 46th place after a 2-under final round.

This is a little disapointing. I thought they were playing good enough golf down the stretch to take everyone out. Hopefully they rebound from this and get the little things fixed. Damn short game! It's my downfall as well.

Archived