Welcome to the BEST free AU fan site in the world!

DJ_Hatch

HELLO AND WAR EAGLE!!

I thought this would be good time to introduce myself to my new "family" here at the all new & improved AUFamily! My names DJ_Hatch, and for years I've enjoyed bringing recruiting info to the fine folks over at AuburnEagle who (like me) don't think you should have to pay $99/year for it! Anyway, I've brought LOTS of my AUsome "cruitin' junkie" pals with me like ellitor, Jonesy, aupops, BigBird, etc.., and of course the "Grand Poobah" himself AUSportsTalk will be here to share all of his "inside" info! Together, we will join forces on with the already OUTSTANDING coverage that you've been getting here from RunInRed to make this site the BEST free AU fan site in the world!

Now as for what's been taking place in the recruiting world lately... there's not really that much to report, as AU coaches are busy gearing up for the first game and don't really have much time to spend on recruiting right now. Also, recruits themselves are busy getting ready to start their seasons, so not much time for taking visits and such.

One potentially HUGE bit of news though is that #1-ranked (Rivals) RB Derrick Green (http://rivals.yahoo....ck-Green-109982) will be visiting Auburn this weekend. He's swinging by UGa first on his way to the Plain, but he should arrive Saturday night and stay through Sunday afternoon. This will be Green's second visit to AU in the last couple of months. Green is Auburn's #1 RB on their recruiting board, followed closely by Greg Bryant (http://rivals.yahoo....lxef7EZhdFIPZB4). One of these two will more than likely commit to AU within the next couple of months, if I had to venture a guess.

Speaking of Bryant, Auburn recently handed out an offer to his American Heritage (Delray Beach, FL) teammate, OL Roderick Johnson (http://rivals.yahoo....ycok59rBHhIPZB4). The 6-foot-6, 315 lb Johnson recently decommitted from Florida and is looking for a better fit. Most folks believe that FSU is now his favorite, but a visit to the Plains with his teammate Green could easily change that. Johnson plays OT in HS, but AU is recruiting him as an OG. Ths AU coaches will continue to evaluate more and more OL this fall with the hopes of finding a suitable candidate for the one open spot that they have in the 2013 class for a lineman. Eastern Christian Academy's Khaliel Rodgers (http://rivals.yahoo....FQT9FIXMDVIPZB4) continues to be AU's top target, but he still appears to be solid with his USC commitment at this time. Rodgers has said recently though that he WILL take a few of his official visits, and that one of those visits WILL be to the Plains. Hopefully, he will be joined by his teammate and AU commit Jahmere Irvin-Sills (http://rivals.yahoo....zUUobe.dftIPZB4), and Sills combined with former teammate Angelo Blackson can convince Rodgers that AU is the place he needs to be. Blount High's Wilson Bell (http://rivals.yahoo....iF4Dwcz6YpIPZB4) and Trinity's David Gross (http://rivals.yahoo....XaK_i3FYbFIPZB4) (an AU legacy) continue to be alternative options to fill the spot. Those two will need strong senior seasons to be serious contenders though.

The on-going saga that is Tray Matthews (http://rivals.yahoo....C.EWdd5Xa1IPZB4) recruitment continues. The highly-ranked safety has still not announced his "final decision", even though he had commented that it would be done by the end of August. Matthews continues to do interviews though and maintains that he is "100% committed" to UGa. He does, however, also maintain that he will be taking his official visits as well, and that AU will most-definitely be one of those visits. On a related note, the Bulldogs just accepted commitments from a third and forth safety in their 2013 class to go along with Matthews. Matthews claimed in a recent AJC article that this decision by UGa did have an affect on his feelings towards the Bulldogs...

From the AJC.com:

“It affected me a little bit, but the more I thought about it, it’s part of the game,” said Matthews, after learning JC safety Shaquille Fluker committed to UGA on Tuesday.

“I don’t know. I guess Georgia feel like I might switch, and they had to go pick up another safety. I don’t know what’s going on with that.”

Then after Matthews talked with his parents for a few minutes, he had a different perspective:

“My opinion is that Georgia saw a good safety and got him. We’re pretty low on safeties, and we got another one. It doesn’t affect me because there’s going to competition, regardless, since I’m going to be a freshman and there are players there [in college] already. I guess it will just mean more competition, and I’m fine with that.”

Matthews has been flirting a little with the idea of playing at Auburn with best friend Reuben Foster, visiting the Auburn campus with his family a couple of weeks ago. Matthews has said if he flipped from UGA to Auburn, he would do it sooner than later. What’s the latest with that? “That’s still kind of the case. I just know I’m going to take all my official visits.”

Auburn will have to continue to battle a TON of in-state pressure that is being applied to Matthews to stay committed to the "home team" Bulldogs. Also, much of this pressure is coming from his own family, who all want him to stay home as well. This is definitely one "soap opera" to keep an eye on.

Another not-so-happy "soap opera" that has been in the news lately is the on-going saga that is 5-star AU commit Dee Liner's struggle to stay out of the negative press. According to sources Liner and some of his other Muscle Shoals HS teammates got into a "disagreement" with head coach Scott Basden and walked off the practice field yesterday. This from the Twittershpere...

From Times Daily sportswriter Bryan App...

#Auburn commit Dee Liner walked out of practice today at #MuscleShoals. His status on the team is unclear right now.

And...

#MuscleShoals coach Scott Basden wouldn't comment on it beyond saying: "I'm more worried about Dee as a person than a player."

And now today we've learned that apparently Basden has decided to suspend Liner "indefinitely"...

Again from Bryan App at the Times Daily...

#MuscleShoals coach Scott Basden says #Auburn commit Dee Liner has been indefinitely suspended from the football team. Reason not disclosed.

Now, before everyone starts blaming Liner for this whole situation, I think that we should all keep in mind that this young man lives in an area that is DOMINATED by Alabama supporters, and he has been under tremendous pressure since he made to choice to go to AU. In fact, rumor has it that his own coach, Scott Basden is an ardent tide fan himself, who was not at all happy with his star's choice to go to AU. At the very least, I think it's safe to say that we do not know all their is to know about this story, and for now I'm going to reserve judgement and remain firm in my support for Dee Liner. Let's all hope that he can get this straightened out, because he is an immensely talented player with a very bright future ahead of him if everything works out for him. One last thing... Liner had this to say last night...

Dee Liner ‏@Liner_25

So ready to Graduate and be at Auburn!

I think it's safe to say that we all agree with Dee on that!

WAR EAGLE EVERYONE! I LOOK FOWARD TO AN AMAZING RUN HERE AT AUFAMILY!

:wedance:

Welcome. War Eagle!

I haven't seen such a detailed, informative article in quite awhile. I hear there are a few papers around in need of a good beat writer these days...

Thanks for the great update on the recruiting for the past few days. Looking forward to reading eveyone post and catching up on the going own for the past few days.

Great Posts! I live in the bama rich area you speak of and yes several rumors flying around that the coach you mentioned was going to get a job at bama if Mr. Liner went. So I could see some bad blood.

But as a realistic Auburn man I could also see Mr. Liner getting a big head and not listening to his coaches.Hope he get this straight and rips apart the SEC for the next few years..WAR EAGLE!

DJ, what happened to my post count from AE? I had over 600 before the merge.

I noticed that as well.. I am starting back at zero.

DJ, what happened to my post count from AE? I had over 600 before the merge.

I noticed that as well.. I am starting back at zero.

Send RunninRed a message. He will get you guys hooked up.

Although I like the new site, it's not very iPhone friendly. The text is really small and the pages don't support pinching to enlarge the screen size. Does anyone know if there are any plans to make the site more iPhone friendly?

Always great to hear from DJ, though some really good news would have been nice. I guess green visiting could turn out to be good if he commits at some point.

Disappointed about Mathews. I really thought it was a forgone conclusion that he was coming to Auburn but if his family prefers uga then I imagine that is where he will go.

I actually think this site is WAY more iPhone friendly. No need to enlarge as it auto fits. But I could see how the text might be a bit small for some. Love the news feed on the front page btw!

Always great to hear from DJ, though some really good news would have been nice. I guess green visiting could turn out to be good if he commits at some point.

Disappointed about Mathews. I really thought it was a forgone conclusion that he was coming to Auburn but if his family prefers uga then I imagine that is where he will go.

I actually think this site is WAY more iPhone friendly. No need to enlarge as it auto fits. But I could see how the text might be a bit small for some. Love the news feed on the front page btw!

Nothing is a for gone conclusion but I think Auburn is still in very good shape with Matthews. They are :uga: fans but they are not pushing him I believe and are open to Tray going to Auburn from what I understand.

Although I like the new site, it's not very iPhone friendly. The text is really small and the pages don't support pinching to enlarge the screen size. Does anyone know if there are any plans to make the site more iPhone friendly?

I use this site primarily on my iPhone.

There is a link to a mobile version of the site at the bottom of the page. Left side.

tbone4jc, 650 ok?

Give me the numbers guys, I'll adjust them for you.

I had somewhere over 4,000 posts here at AUFamily. Maybe over 5,000, who knows? Post count is not something I normally paid attention to, but now that there's been a merger.........

tbone4jc, 650 ok?

I had somewhere over 4,000 posts here at AUFamily. Maybe over 5,000, who knows? Post count is not something I normally paid attention to, but now that there's been a merger.........

Mikey, it should have defaulted to your original account here.

We'll have to look into that.

tbone4jc, 650 ok?

I had probably 2,200 on AE and another 100 here as well.

Archived