Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

On 5/18/2018 at 6:12 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Despite harboring near-low bar populations and near-high tax rates, we're #17. Reference failed to report how much I contribute.

“Despite shifting tastes among millennials, beer remains the most popular alcoholic beverage in the United States. It is the drink of choice for 43% of Americans who drink, beating out wine at 32% and liquor at 20%. Beer makers shipped 26.4 gallons of beer per person per American adult in 2017.” Excerpts from slide-show below, highlights mine

12. South Carolina

13. Mississippi

17. Alabama

> Annual per capita consumption: 28.9 gallons of beer
> Total beer consumption: 103.7 million gallons
> 5 yr. consumption change: -2.3%
> Bars and restaurants per 100,000 people: 153.3 (
3rd lowest)
> Beer tax rate: $1.05 per gallon (
3rd highest)

29. Florida

39. Tennessee

[Beer consumption in every state,, https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/beer-consumption-in-every-state/ss-AAwyQan?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout#image=]

Interesting to see Tennessee so low. Is there a high percentage of evangelicals? Florida, too, actually. Although I wonder if most of the beer is consumed by non-natives....

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting to see Tennessee so low. Is there a high percentage of evangelicals? Florida, too, actually. Although I wonder if most of the beer is consumed by non-natives....

Drinking something else?

East TN and panhandle FL do have at least a reputation as moonshine country.

ETA - Apparently, when Dad was in flight training out of P'Cola, the T-28s came back peppered with birdshot on a daily basis.

On 5/21/2018 at 7:50 AM, McLoofus said:

Can only speak for the store I work at, and the city I live in terms of actual sales...but Memphis is a huge vodka/bourbon/tequila market. Just not a lot of beer culture in TN. Other than Bearded Iris, no one really seeks out TN beers. And the beer culture in the state has been lacking for years. It’s growing, and Nashville is leading the charge with Chattanooga right behind. 

On 5/21/2018 at 7:50 AM, McLoofus said:

I think its interesting to see Mississippi higher than Alabama. 

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Apparently it’s the Summer of gose and berliners. We’ve got more on hand right now than I can keep up with. 

Luckily, I haven’t burned out on them yet. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Luckily, I haven’t burned out on them yet. 

I dig the berliners. But if it’s not a Westbrook gose, I am just setting myself up for disappointment. 

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I dig the berliners. But if it’s not a Westbrook gose, I am just setting myself up for disappointment. 

I tend to like the berliners better myself. Maybe I haven't explored enough, but it seems they tend to have more of that biscuity finish to balance out the acidity (and to give the acidity on the next sip something to cut through). 

That said, Terp's watermelon gose and Anderson Valley's blood orange gose are good IMO. 

15 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Can only speak for the store I work at, and the city I live in terms of actual sales...but Memphis is a huge vodka/bourbon/tequila market. Just not a lot of beer culture in TN. Other than Bearded Iris, no one really seeks out TN beers. And the beer culture in the state has been lacking for years. It’s growing, and Nashville is leading the charge with Chattanooga right behind. 

Surprising to me. 'Course it's been a while since I"ve spent serious time in TN, and never much in Memphis, but the sour-mashes (e.g., Daniels, Dickel) seemed to pretty much own the state back when.

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

No doubt. Westbrook is the undisputed measuring stick for the entire style. Nothing really measures up. 

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

No doubt. Westbrook is the undisputed measuring stick for the entire style. Nothing really measures up. 

*in this country.

Image result for nerd gif

15 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I was surprised and impressed when in Nashville to see a lot of locally brewed traditional style beers that I'd never heard of. But then I realized... I'd never heard of them. 

21 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Surprising to me. 'Course it's been a while since I"ve spent serious time in TN, and never much in Memphis, but the sour-mashes (e.g., Daniels, Dickel) seemed to pretty much own the state back when.

Bourbon blew up back in 2010 or so. I used to shop at the store I work at now when I moved here the first time in 2008-2011. You could buy Pappy 20 and 23 right off the shelf. 20 for $99, 23 for $150ish. Now they go for 3 times as much if they’re not gouged. 

We definitely sell a bunch of Jack, it’s never going away. Dickel, not so much. Jack can even be considered bourbon because of the mash bill(51% corn), but because of how they charcoal filter it, they legally can’t label it bourbon. 

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Bourbon blew up back in 2010 or so. I used to shop at the store I work at now when I moved here the first time in 2008-2011. You could buy Pappy 20 and 23 right off the shelf. 20 for $99, 23 for $150ish. Now they go for 3 times as much if they’re not gouged. 

We definitely sell a bunch of Jack, it’s never going away. Dickel, not so much. Jack can even be considered bourbon because of the mash bill(51% corn), but because of how they charcoal filter it, they legally can’t label it bourbon. 

Didn't Dickel just put out a reserve or small batch or something? 

LOL RIR added a club feature. We need to create a beer club.

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I do kind of hate that this thread is so active and it was created by a bammer. 

Dunzo. “All Things Beer and Spirits.”

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Now let’s see if I can find it on mobile from the forum page. 

Still learning my way around it. 

7 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Still learning my way around it. 

Ok, got it. We now have a redux of this thread in the club. Now we just need to get everyone to migrate over. Hate that we can’t bring this thread with us. So much valuable content. 

On 5/23/2018 at 10:43 AM, AUDub said:

Ok, got it. We now have a redux of this thread in the club. Now we just need to get everyone to migrate over. Hate that we can’t bring this thread with us. So much valuable content. 

How do I find it?  Found a new beer to share.

16 hours ago, alexava said:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting, eyeglasses and text

Always referred to it as "thinning the herd" but, of late,

thinking I might be exceeding "potential  productivity."

Archived