Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

CD778E77-247A-4E48-B788-E68DCDBC45D1.gif

11/10. A perfectly deployed gif always gets a bump when it's from an all-time great movie.

Feeling good, Louis!

47 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Can they brew it to that level, or does it take some kind of post-ferment fortification??

While I'm not 100% sure, it looks like it was all done during fermentation. This is from their social media book face.

"Brass Techeticles will not be finished fermenting for our 8th Anniversary Party this weekend Saturday March 17th. We realize this makes us look like fools who are wearing Daisy Dukes, but it took a bit longer to get this big IPA to 18% ABV than we planned. Our taproom will still have the Hoptopussy 8th Anniversary IPA and pint glasses for our Anniversary Party, and the bottle conditioned Symposium Pinot Noir Black Saison, Meditations Satsuma Wit, and Cop Cop Honey and Elderflower Ale. Look for the Brass Techeticles release in a week or two. Thanks for your understanding."

I think something like 20ish% is feasible without brewing it with a ton of sugar. 

42 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

While I'm not 100% sure, it looks like it was all done during fermentation. This is from their social media book face.

"Brass Techeticles will not be finished fermenting for our 8th Anniversary Party this weekend Saturday March 17th. We realize this makes us look like fools who are wearing Daisy Dukes, but it took a bit longer to get this big IPA to 18% ABV than we planned. Our taproom will still have the Hoptopussy 8th Anniversary IPA and pint glasses for our Anniversary Party, and the bottle conditioned Symposium Pinot Noir Black Saison, Meditations Satsuma Wit, and Cop Cop Honey and Elderflower Ale. Look for the Brass Techeticles release in a week or two. Thanks for your understanding."

38 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I think something like 20ish% is feasible without brewing it with a ton of sugar. 

Thanks.

To my meager understanding, sounded like a hardy yeast.

ETA - Apologies. Seems my ignorance was simple enough to fix. For wines:

“During the fermentation process, yeast cells in the must continue to convert sugar into alcohol until the must reaches an alcohol level of 16%–18%. At this level, the alcohol becomes toxic to the yeast and kills it.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortified_wine

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hardy yeast, you say?

Image result for thomas hardy ale

Thanks for rubbing it in.

Appears even hHardy yeast hits ~12%?

30 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Thanks for rubbing it in.

Appears even hHardy yeast hits ~12%?

Indeed. 

I drank one recently that was 20 years old. It was enjoyable, but I wished I'd had a fresh one to compare it to. 

Has anyone tried Schaefer or Schaefer light beer? ...From what I gather, it used to be popular many years ago. I dont normally venture out past the bud lights or miller light type beers, and they all taste the same. Yuengling is Ok for a slight stray from the norm. Im kinda wondering how Schaefer compares to any of these or any other I havent mentioned. I may try to find some this weekend to see for my self, but until then, I figured Id ask.

5 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Has anyone tried Schaefer or Schaefer light beer? ...From what I gather, it used to be popular many years ago. I dont normally venture out past the bud lights or miller light type beers, and they all taste the same. Yuengling is Ok for a slight stray from the norm. Im kinda wondering how Schaefer compares to any of these or any other I havent mentioned. I may try to find some this weekend to see for my self, but until then, I figured Id ask.

I've never seen Schaefer down here in Alabama, but I know of the brand and its history. Looking at their current reviews, it looks like it's just another inoffensive AAL in a long line of them these days.

2 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Im in SC, not sure I can find it here either.

Honestly doesn't look like we're missing much.

That's not to say I would turn one down if offered. Hell, I crush the silver bullet regularly with my dad when I'm lending him a hand with some chore at his house.

I know I just asked about Schaffer beer....

I had this beer in Boston last October

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20/2190/

image.jpeg

It was along the line of a Bud light. The blueberry flavoring was on point!  Cant get in the south, Ive tried...Ive tried other blueberry beers that were just meh....anyone know of a good blueberry beer to try that is kind of inline with the,  what Im sure most consider tasteless  bud light type beers?

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Honestly doesn't look like we're missing much.

That's not to say I would turn one down if offered. Hell, I crush the silver bullet regularly with my dad when I'm lending him a hand with some chore at his house.

Miller High Life for me. I genuinely enjoy it. Found a place on the island where I can get one of those and a Jameson for $7 American. Hell yeah.

2 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

image.jpeg

It was along the line of a Bud light. The blueberry flavoring was on point!  Cant get in the south, Ive tried...Ive tried other blueberry beers that were just meh....anyone know of a good blueberry beer to try that is kind of inline with the,  what Im sure most consider tasteless  bud light type beers?

Can't recommend anything like what you're looking for as far as blueberry goes, but keep an eye out for Wild Heaven (Atlanta) Emergency Drinking Beer. Similar concept- easy drinking craft lager- but with a hint of citrus instead of blueberry.

My favorite blueberry beers have been stouts. 

8 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

image.jpeg

This is one I've seen around Birmingham recently. Should have a similar profile.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3/220415/

27 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Years and years and years ago, I tied one on with Schaefer Light (I pronounce it “shah-fee-ae”. You know...because it makes it sound fancy.)

Dubs is right. I equated it to a Busch/Natty equivalent. Just a fancier name. 

Up North there seemed to be a lot of Blueberry wheats. I liked them as well, they were a little heavier, but not much. That Wachusett was hands down, the best beer Ive ever had! I may be willing to try a stout though!

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Miller High Life for me. I genuinely enjoy it. Found a place on the island where I can get one of those and a Jameson for $7 American. Hell yeah.

Can't recommend anything like what you're looking for as far as blueberry goes, but keep an eye out for Wild Heaven (Atlanta) Emergency Drinking Beer. Similar concept- easy drinking craft lager- but with a hint of citrus instead of blueberry.

My favorite blueberry beers have been stouts. 

I should go pick up another Lizard of Koz.

5 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Years and years and years ago, I tied one on with Schaefer Light (I pronounce it “shah-fee-ae”. You know...because it makes it sound fancy.)

Dubs is right. I equated it to a Busch/Natty equivalent. Just a fancier name. 

AAL's have the best advertising.

ctzbnvp1mm001.jpg

13 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Up North there seemed to be a lot of Blueberry wheats. I liked them as well, they were a little heavier, but not much. That Wachusett was hands down, the best beer Ive ever had! I may be willing to try a stout though!

They seem to be best around the Great Lakes (MI, WI) and in New England, which I'm guessing are where the best/most blueberries are grown. 

Wheat beers are great for adding fruit to. 

I was a Boston International Airport eating breakfast when I discovered that  wachusett blueberry beer.  I was intrigued, so I asked for sample as I was waiting on my Omelette....I set aside my coffee and ordered a tall one. Now Ive got alot of crazy drinking stories from my college years,  but I honestly dont think Ive ever had a beer with my morning breakfast until then...(maybe, just dont remember) Not sure Ive ever downed 3  22oz beers before 10am either, but I certainly did that day. The only thing that stopped me at that many was my flight departure! LOL

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

They seem to be best around the Great Lakes (MI, WI) and in New England, which I'm guessing are where the best/most blueberries are grown. 

Wheat beers are great for adding fruit to. 

Yep, all the blueberry wheats I had in New England, came with a handfull of blueberrys in them. I wish I remembered the names of the ones I tried up there, they were really good as well.

Archived