Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

On 4/10/2018 at 1:26 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

@AUDub might appreciate this. A coworker managed to knock a 4pk of Chimay Red off the shelf, compromising the seal of 2 bottles in the 4pk. I took home the other 2. 

I still have the empty bottle of “good beer” from when I moved to TN 10 years ago. 

yCfQlk9.jpg

I haven’t had one since football season. Miss it, but really look forward to September when I start buying it again. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, man. 

fKiI6Ho.jpg

Hazy and beautiful. 

So fruity on the nose. Pineapple juice. 

Smooth. Tons of pineapple on the palate. Absolutely zero bitterness. 

Excellent beer. 

16 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Oh, man. 

fKiI6Ho.jpg

Hazy and beautiful. 

Excellent beer. 

I seriously can’t get over how good this beer is.

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I seriously can’t get over how good this beer is.

We get so few of these ultra hazy IPAs here that this will be a regular for a while. 

Thanks to you guys, I jumped at the chance of getting some Bloom in Montgomery yesterday. I am still a novice, but what an interesting beer! Just like your pictures, it is beautiful to look at and the nose, as AUDub says, is fantastic and just makes me happy. The mouthfeel is WAY better than any beer I have had. It was almost like the millions of tiny bubbles were solid, so even though the beer felt thick, it was still light. Fascinating! This is a very smooth beer. I agree that there is virtually no bitterness. I did think that there was a little something missing at the end. I wanted a little "Umph!" at the end. But what a fun beer!

Thanks to you all for sharing your expertise and for pushing me to try really good beer!

Not much bite on the backside, but that makes it dangerously difficult to put down. Just want more. 

On 4/14/2018 at 9:52 AM, Grumps said:

Thanks to you guys, I jumped at the chance of getting some Bloom in Montgomery yesterday. I am still a novice, but what an interesting beer! Just like your pictures, it is beautiful to look at and the nose, as AUDub says, is fantastic and just makes me happy. The mouthfeel is WAY better than any beer I have had. It was almost like the millions of tiny bubbles were solid, so even though the beer felt thick, it was still light. Fascinating! This is a very smooth beer. I agree that there is virtually no bitterness. I did think that there was a little something missing at the end. I wanted a little "Umph!" at the end. But what a fun beer!

Thanks to you all for sharing your expertise and for pushing me to try really good beer!

You'll be cursing us before long :)

Love your tasting notes, btw. You've really got me wanting to try this one just for the mouthfeel, as if thoughts already shared by others (and the pictures) weren't enough. 

Three Taverns in Decatur brewed an Atlanta United-themed beer called Rowdy and Proud ("We are the A, From way down South, And we are here, Rowdy and Proud"). A buddy brought it down for me this weekend. An easy-going, "table IPA" that I didn't get as much fruit notes from as the advertising had me expecting. Definitely something I could mindlessly drink steadily throughout a 2 hr match. Not much else to report on for the weekend. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You'll be cursing us before long :)

Love your tasting notes, btw. You've really got me wanting to try this one just for the mouthfeel, as if thoughts already shared by others (and the pictures) weren't enough. 

Three Taverns in Decatur brewed an Atlanta United-themed beer called Rowdy and Proud ("We are the A, From way down South, And we are here, Rowdy and Proud"). A buddy brought it down for me this weekend. An easy-going, "table IPA" that I didn't get as much fruit notes from as the advertising had me expecting. Definitely something I could mindlessly drink steadily throughout a 2 hr match. Not much else to report on for the weekend. 

Good thing I know a guy....?. 

On 4/13/2018 at 6:38 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

That it does sir! If you need suggestions, I know a guy.

Gonna get out and about 1st, to see what's showing up here but,

with your permission, I may well come back to you about that guy.

Many Thanks

http://goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2018/4/17/louisiana-breweries-take-self-distro-to-the-capitol-on-a-strong-moral-case

Louisiana Breweries Take Self-Distro to the Capitol on “A Strong Moral Case”

......As written, the beer-focused amendment would allow for a production brewery (not brewpub) making less than 25,000 barrels a year the right to self-distribute up to 10,000 BBLs. It would apply to about two-thirds of the state’s 34 beer-producing businesses. Thanks to a 2014 update to the original own-premise sales law, breweries can currently sell via their taproom 3,000 BBLs a year or 10 percent of volume, whatever is greater.

The challenge, as it always seems to be with updating Prohibition-era laws, is convincing elected officials to show support for the changes. The arguments for and against are the same as typically heard: brewery owners say updating laws would allow them to grow their businesses, hire more workers, and build interest for the state and a Louisiana-made good. Distributors, never a group that takes to change easily, contend that three-tier laws enable them to best serve producers, especially when they put “blood, sweat and tears” into selling brands.

“No ugly divorces,” Mockler Beverage co-owner Patrick Mockler recently told the Greater Baton Rouge Business Report. “They have expectations of us, and we have expectations of them. The system works very well.”

It’s a common refrain from wholesalers all over the country. And indeed, the system does work well...for them. On face value, breweries may have an uphill battle convincing the judiciary committee of the unlevel playing field. Of the seven-member panel made up of five democrats and two republicans, six have accepted campaign donations in their most recent 2015 election efforts from the Beer Industry League of Louisiana, a trade group that represents the state’s distributors, according to numbers tracked by the National Institute on Money in State Politics, a nonpartisan nonprofit organization. Contributions ranged in amounts from $1,000 to $3,500. The lone standout member is Sen. Karen Carter Peterson, who received $2,853 from the Beer Industry League during a 2011 campaign, but not during her 2015 reelection. Three years ago, she did receive three separate $500 contributions each from Anheuser-Busch, Republic National Distributing, and Crescent Crown Distributing.

There’s no way we could go dollar-for-dollar in campaign contributions, but the three-tier system is supposed to be set up so we shouldn’t have to,” says Karlos Knott, president of Bayou Teche Brewing as well as the Louisiana Craft Beer Guild. “We have a strong moral case, and in some ways that should be supreme to the dollar, but we know it’s not.”

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Not a bad beer. At all. Nice sweet dark, fruit. Just the right amount of booze. Not overwhelmingly so.

73A2B097-C450-4D10-8E64-01536B58382E.jpeg

Have to empty your wallet for it or has Nebraska actually come back down to earth with their prices?

11 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Have to empty your wallet for it or has Nebraska actually come back down to earth with their prices?

Ashamed to say that I’m not sure. I picked it up with a couple other things that could have effectively hidden its price. 

On 4/13/2018 at 8:02 PM, AUDub said:

Oh, man. 

fKiI6Ho.jpg

Hazy and beautiful. 

Excellent beer. 

Please tell me you found it local.

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Please tell me you found it local.

Hop City on 3rd Ave S

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Hop City on 3rd Ave S

Awesome! Thanks!

6 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Awesome! Thanks!

It was on the end cap by the bar, right on the IIPA aisle, I believe. 

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

jESgfdQ.jpg

Still a citrus bomb. 

Need a call out to Lagunitas. Got to put this in cans! Bottles poolside not real smart. 

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Need a call out to Lagunitas. Got to put this in cans! Bottles poolside not real smart. 

Hefty as hell for a poolside beer. 7.5%

Just now, AUDub said:

Hefty as hell for a poolside beer. 7.5%

Hmm. Noted. Appoint a new grill man.....eh, person. ;D

45 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

2nd Shift(St. Louis) Little Big Hop 4.9%. Pretty tasty. Lots of citrus and grapefruit. $20.99 a 4pk(!)...$18 with my discount makes it a little less heartbreaking.

Mj3brlt.jpg

Holy shed, that’s a bit pricey! Well, hell maybe not. I’m paying close to that for Bloom.

AA2C341A-892C-432F-9643-F7A6580BBDAB.gif

On 4/14/2018 at 12:55 PM, AUDub said:

Not much bite on the backside, but that makes it dangerously difficult to put down. Just want more. 

I want to amend my take on Bloom. I had consumed a Parish Envie prior to tasting the Bloom. I think that is why it seemed a little flat at the finish. On the next night I drank a Bloom first, and the finish was much more steady. It really is a great beer.

I have said this before, but you guys have taught me the difference between a good beer and a beer that I think tastes good. I am learning to taste quality, even if sometimes the taste doesn't do it for me. Thanks for that!

Archived