Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I REALLY like Diet Mountain Dew. So for me, the only reason to drink anything else is to get a buzz. For that reason, I usually look for high ABV, all things being equal. I figure, why drink a good beer with a 4.9% ABV when I can drink one with a 7.5%. Is that offensive to you beer aficionados? I have a hard time buying a 6-pack of Devil's Harvest when Jai-Alai is sitting there next to it. Can you good folks convince me not to overlook the good beer that has low ABV?

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Good thing. 

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

I REALLY like Diet Mountain Dew. So for me, the only reason to drink anything else is to get a buzz. For that reason, I usually look for high ABV, all things being equal. I figure, why drink a good beer with a 4.9% ABV when I can drink one with a 7.5%. Is that offensive to you beer aficionados? I have a hard time buying a 6-pack of Devil's Harvest when Jai-Alai is sitting there next to it. Can you good folks convince me not to overlook the good beer that has low ABV?

I typically buy beer for the taste, not the ABV FWIW.

I used to despise session beers because they were bland and boring when the push started for them about 5 or 6 years ago. Now they’re packing them with a bunch of flavor. I also prefer to bring low ABV beer to parties, tailgates, etc. because I can drink a bunch without making myself look like a stumbling drunk. Two sub 5% IPAs in an hour and I’m good. Two 8% DIPAs in an hour and I’m going to start a heavy buzz. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I typically buy beer for the taste, not the ABV FWIW.

I used to despise session beers because they were bland and boring when the push started for them about 5 or 6 years ago. Now they’re packing them with a bunch of flavor. I also prefer to bring low ABV beer to parties, tailgates, etc. because I can drink a bunch without making myself look like a stumbling drunk. Two sub 5% IPAs in an hour and I’m good. Two 8% DIPAs in an hour and I’m going to start a heavy buzz. 

I know YOU buy it for the taste. You are the BEERMASTER!

Never be offended. Drink what you like, but there are plenty of great beers out there with sub 5 abvs. About to hit Gose season. ;)

9 hours ago, Grumps said:

I am definitely in it for the taste...now. That said, I also went through an ABV master period. I still like higher ABV beers for the most part. The situation can definitely play into that though, like Shocks said. Gimme a couple of high gravity brews in less than an hour and growly Tiger comes out. 

*Rawr.

*(sips bourbon)

6 hours ago, Grumps said:

I know YOU buy it for the taste. You are the BEERMASTER!

I wasn’t intending to sound snobby, apologies if it came across that way. Most days I do reach for a beer that has some “balls”, but like I(and @Tiger Refuge) said—it’s situational. 

Sometimes I’ll grab the 8% DIPAs and kickstart my buzz then move to session and coast. 

And in a lot of cases, higher alcohol beers do simply taste better and have more layers of complexity. 

So to echo @AUDub, I’m firmly in the “drink what you like” camp. 

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I wasn’t intending to sound snobby, apologies if it came across that way. Most days I do reach for a beer that has some “balls”, but like I(and @Tiger Refuge) said—it’s situational. 

Sometimes I’ll grab the 8% DIPAs and kickstart my buzz then move to session and coast. 

And in a lot of cases, higher alcohol beers do simply taste better and have more layers of complexity. 

So to echo @AUDub, I’m firmly in the “drink what you like” camp. 

You weren't being snobby at all. My comment was meant to be with a tone of respect. Seriously. To me, you really are the beermaster. But I really do find myself looking for the best beer with a kick instead of the best beer. I had not seen a discussion of ABV so I was interested in y'all's opinions. ("y'all's" is a great word). As usual, you all did not disappoint!

47 minutes ago, Grumps said:

You weren't being snobby at all. My comment was meant to be with a tone of respect. Seriously. To me, you really are the beermaster. But I really do find myself looking for the best beer with a kick instead of the best beer. I had not seen a discussion of ABV so I was interested in y'all's opinions. ("y'all's" is a great word). As usual, you all did not disappoint!

Well, thank you for the undue credit. There’s several here that could go by the same moniker. I’m still learning on a day to day basis, but one of my favorite things about my job and talking beer is educating others and also being educated by fellow beer nerds. I could seriously talk beer all day long if given the chance. 

Back to ABV, a couple styles I don’t reach for on the low end are always going to be stouts and barleywines. I don’t like booze bombs, but for me the higher the alcohol(within reason), the better those two styles will shine. A thin stout is the bane of my beer drinking existence. I can’t think of a remarkable stout I’ve ever had under the 7-8% range. 

On 4/21/2018 at 1:42 PM, Grumps said:

Agree with what the other guys said.

I will say this: If you offer me 2 beers with different ABVs but identical flavor profiles...

...at the same price...

...and I'm just going to be sitting on my back deck drinking them alone...

...and I'm not overly preoccupied with waking up early and/or accomplishing any feats of mental or physical strength and/or agility the next day...

...give me the boozy one. 

In other words, it's situational like the other guys said, but my default setting is "more please".

9 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Coworker went to ATL and brought me back a 6er of Tropicalia. Aww yeah. 

Nice.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of Atlanta beer I can get in Savannah. No Trop that I've seen, but some other good ones are usually available. 

55 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This one from Bayou Teche has been getting really good reviews. At 18%, it wouldn’t take many. Imperial IPA

B6460B0B-D2BF-4676-AE68-DC773C0ECE6B.jpeg

Would really like to try this up against a 120. I’m expecting a booze bomb. If you pick some up, I might still have a 120 squirreled away to trade you. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This one from Bayou Teche has been getting really good reviews. At 18%, it wouldn’t take many. Imperial IPA

Still illegal here. Gofig. 

24 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Would really like to try this up against a 120. I’m expecting a booze bomb. If you pick some up, I might still have a 120 squirreled away to trade you. 

I’m on the lookout for it. I’ll holler at you if I connect. 

The reviews I’ve seen are funny. Apparently, they hid that ABV a pretty well.

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m headed to Jackson Hole in two weeks. @ShocksMyBrain didn’t you say you have had some of Melvin’s offerings before? 2x4 perhaps? Any recommendations?

Yep. Enjoyed everything I’ve had from Melvin. My view on them has changed recently due to this http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/allegations-of-sexual-misconduct-land-melvin-brewing-in-hot-water/

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m on the lookout for it. I’ll holler at you if I connect. 

The reviews I’ve seen are funny. Apparently, they hid that ABV a pretty well.

At 18% (!!!!!!), I could see the reviews starting off very eloquently and ending with random, erratically spaced characters and drool. 

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yep. Enjoyed everything I’ve had from Melvin. My view on them has changed recently due to this http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/allegations-of-sexual-misconduct-land-melvin-brewing-in-hot-water/

Yikes. Had it only been the initial incident, I could assume it was isolated and dealt with. But for the website thing to happen afterward? Yeah, there are cracks in that foundation. That's borderline sociopathy. 

15 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Can they brew it to that level, or does it take some kind of post-ferment fortification??

Archived