Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

On 4/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

I totally forgot to mention that they have expanded distribution into MS and Alabama. Please tell me you got that Bloom!?

Snagged a 4-pack of Bloom at our (sort’a) local Rouse’s y’day, and popped one for the drive back from Spanish Fort. Liked it immediately. Over time, I grew to really, really appreciate the belch-back (yes, I’m weird that way?). No clash, whatsoever w./my Camel-sodden senses, and retained sufficient potency and complexity of aromatics that I began musing on pairing. Concocted an interplay of seared beef/tangerine/green onion that (mentally) nailed it. Alas, my refrigerator had me locked in to a shrimp lo mein last night (enough Scots in me that I take leftover discipline pretty seriously), but tailored the brown sauce to fit pretty well. My wife (bless her heart, not that much of a beer drinker) approved, and the beer has earned shelf space.

Many thanks to all who helped guide me here.

Envie on deck.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Snagged a 4-pack of Bloom at our (sort’a) local Rouse’s y’day, and popped one for the drive back from Spanish Fort. Liked it immediately. Over time, I grew to really, really appreciate the belch-back (yes, I’m weird that way?). No clash, whatsoever w./my Camel-sodden senses, and retained sufficient potency and complexity of aromatics that I began musing on pairing. Concocted an interplay of seared beef/tangerine/green onion that (mentally) nailed it. Alas, my refrigerator had me locked in to a shrimp lo mein last night (enough Scots in me that I take leftover discipline pretty seriously), but tailored the brown sauce to fit pretty well. My wife (bless her heart, not that much of a beer drinker) approved, and the beer has earned shelf space.

Envie on deck.

I suppose the beauty of rationed reactions is that I am forced to attempt a thoughtful response when a post demands acknowledgement. 

This has me that much more interested in trying Bloom, and suddenly interested in trying beef with tangerine and green onion, and oddly proud of my "thrifty" Scottish heritage. 

@Grumps, see, we're all just explorers out here!

On 4/25/2018 at 3:11 PM, McLoofus said:

Wheat beers are great for adding fruit to. 

One of these days I'm going to make syrups and buy a bunch of Berliner Weisse and Gose to experiment. 

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

One of these days I'm going to make syrups and buy a bunch of Berliner Weisse and Gose to experiment. 

I like it.

You ever brewed? 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I like it.

You ever brewed? 

To a very limited degree, using an IPA kit my wife bought me for Father's day a few year back. It didn't turn out great, but was drinkable. Need to dedicate more time to it.

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Envie on deck.

Btw, actually paired a triple IPA w/ flank steak and black drum (separately, at first) tacos recently. They were both marinated in fresh orange juice among other things. Very enjoyable.

I tend to like malty lagers with Chinese food.  

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

To a very limited degree, using an IPA kit my wife bought me for Father's day a few year back. It didn't turn out great, but was drinkable. Need to dedicate more time to it.

So you're probably aware that all the dishwashing sucks but the actual brewing is fun. 

I need to get back into it. 

11 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Pass on Bell’s Hopsolution unless in a bar. Totally unremarkable, but not terrible.  

That’s disappointing. I was looking forward to getting that one.

Yoooo. If you ever see this in the Oklahoma region cop you a 6er. Straight up citrus bomb. Got the haze we all crave. Roughtail Everything Rhymes With Orange. 

Caught my best friend’s aunt saying how much her son loved this brew. Being the skeptic beer snob I am, I was interested, and in jest asked her to get me some. 2 weeks later and I’m picking it up from said best friend’s apt. 

Here’s to finding a beer with an awful label but delicious beer inside.

ZyPJufb.jpg

On 5/4/2018 at 7:22 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Seeing that 120 Minute is about to hit shelves in NOLA, so I would expect a month here. Anticipated price is $40-50 for a 4 pack? Good googly moogley.

Those are correct estimates. Just trade me that big beer we were talking about. Seriously. We got a case of 120 and it’s singled out, I’ll probably stock up for no real reason but to just have it.

Speaking of DFH. Tried Dragons and Yum Yums—the Flaming Lips collab with the sick box and goofy s*** in the beer. Totally a big miss. Buy on draft unless you insist on keeping the packaging. 

24 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

What better time to pop a 120 than 9pm on a Sunday? This was probably a mistake, but it’s poured and I’ll soldier through. 

QnY0Qt4.jpg

I think I’m battling through one of those right now. Solidarity.

So this is now the drunk thread?

I found a new addiction. I’m on a CK2 bender after a busy weekend. 8 or so Founder’s Azzacas down. Blitzed with a capital B. How's the 120? As boozy as it looks on paper or does it hide it well?

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

**** it dude. Let’s go bowling. 

Shut the **** up, Donny.

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

So this is now the drunk thread?

I found a new addiction. I’m on a CK2 bender after a busy weekend. 8 or so Founder’s Azzacas down. Blitzed with a capital B. How's the 120? As boozy as it looks on paper or does it hide it well?

120 makes no attempt to hide anything. Fresh, it is downright abrasive. 

Pairing? Pshiaw.

Envie works well with others, and stands well solo. Each slug politely suggest another and each can (apparently new packaging?) politely suggests another.

For this (just budding) inner-tube season, I expect to ride my returning starter (Fairhope "Causeway") because those crowlers are just so handy in minimizing  the need for port calls. For the longer, more grueling cruises, however, Envie will definitely get some playing time; at only 5.3%, it'll likely contribute to enduring seaworthiness. 

"Long Distance Winner" [Buckingham Nicks]

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Pairing? Pshiaw.

Envie works well with others, and stands well solo. Each slug politely suggest another and each can (apparently new packaging?) politely suggests another.

For this (just budding) inner-tube season, I expect to ride my returning starter (Fairhope "Causeway") because those crowlers are just so handy in minimizing  the need for port calls. For the longer, more grueling cruises, however, Envie will definitely get some playing time; at only 5.3%, it'll likely contribute to enduring seaworthiness. 

"Long Distance Winner" [Buckingham Nicks]

Flink safely, my friend.

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Flink safely, my friend.

Czech?

(had to look that one up)

44 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Czech?

(had to look that one up)

Oh wow, it's in the Urban Dictionary! One of those colloquialisms that was "invented" many times, I'm sure. My friends and I had never heard it, but we "invented" it for our frequent lake activity of wearing life jackets upside down with our legs through the holes, forming a chair-diaper situation that allows one to sit upright in the water with beer in hand. I can't imagine we were alone in "inventing" that, either. 

Archived