32 Sacks and only 12 picks???

StatTiger

Gene Chizik has done a terrific job since arriving at Auburn and our defense has improved each year he has been here. Before the season started, CGC spoke of improving on sacks and forcing turnovers this season. We currently lead the SEC in sacks but our interception ratio needs to improve, especially in our final run of the season. In 1994, Auburn led the SEC with 42 sacks, converting the QB pressure into 22 interceptions. We currently have 12 picks but 5 came gift wrapped by Tennessee, leaving us only 7 in our eight other games. Take away our picks from the UT game and see where we rank compared to other Auburn defenses.

Year Avg

1987 14.32

1985 15.44

1994 15.68

1996 16.41

1998 16.42

1986 16.64

1992 16.88

1982 17.29

1988 18.44

1991 18.86

2002 20.24

1981 21.46

2001 23.20

1993 23.47

1999 24.61

1989 25.27

2000 25.94

1984 26.55

1983 27.73

2004 30.29

1997 31.46

2003 32.91

1990 34.89

1995 49.71

That's one pick every 30.3 pass attempts.

Even if you include the UT game, we're still about in the middle of the pack...

Year Avg

1987 14.32

1985 15.44

1994 15.68

1996 16.41

1998 16.42

1986 16.64

1992 16.88

1982 17.29

1988 18.44

1991 18.86

2002 20.24

2004 21.00

1981 21.46

2001 23.20

1993 23.47

1999 24.61

1989 25.27

2000 25.94

1984 26.55

1983 27.73

1997 31.46

2003 32.91

1990 34.89

1995 49.71

Auburn's offense could find the "going" bumpy in our next two weeks putting more pressure on our defense and special teams. Special teams against Ole Miss kept us on a short field allowing us 7 trips inside the redzone. Even though Ole Miss matched us on yardage gained, our field position was the difference in the contest. A few picks by our defense against UGA could help out the offense against a stingy UGA defense. I'm glad that Coach Chizik is lighting a fire under our secondary.

WDE :au::football::cheer:

I believe all of the talk coming from Coach C this week is an attempt to let the dbs know he means business. We have the talent to handle those spots. They have simply got to execute when the time comes. From what I hear, Coach C is VERY good at lighting a fire under certain players.

:D

Stat, as always, you are indeed the King of the Numbers.

So, I won't EVER question the veracity of your posts, but maybe just ask some questions about what they mean. Even though those numbers are low, our defense is still playing VERY well. Yeah, those long passes against Ole Miss looked like crap, but maybe Coach C is getting that fixed.

So let me ask you this ... can you compare our INTs vs. our opponent's TDs? Say, year-to-year. I'm only guessing because I am NOT the King of the Numbers. Maybe those stats will be interesting.

I know you get a lot of requests, so forgive me for adding more on.

War Damn Eagle!

Stat, as usual your numbers are amazing, but hardly cause for concern. We had two games (U LA Mo and Citadel) where the other team rarely threw a pass longer than 5 yards and we sat back in a zone and just made the tackle at the point of the catch. Give their OC's the guts to throw long on us and we might have 6 more pics. It all comes out in the wash.

So let me ask you this ... can you compare our INTs vs. our opponent's TDs? Say, year-to-year. I'm only guessing because I am NOT the King of the Numbers. Maybe those stats will be interesting.

I know you get a lot of requests, so forgive me for adding more on.

War Damn Eagle!

118261[/snapback]

Here is our INT / TD ratio since 1981

Year- Ratio

1987- 5.50

1986- 4.40

1989- 3.67

1988- 3.60

1982- 2.83

1991- 2.33

2002- 2.10

1985- 1.80

1992- 1.60

1996- 1.47

1998- 1.36

1981- 1.30

1994- 1.29

2004- 1.20

1999- 1.13

2001- 1.07

1990- 1.00

1993- 0.83

1984- 0.79

1983- 0.73

2000- 0.73

1997- 0.72

2003- 0.69

1995- 0.44

5.5 in 1987 :o That's almost 6 interceptions for every TD pass we allowed. Those defenses in the late 80's were some of the best in the Nation.

StatTiger, you are the man. Do this calculation for me: How many points given up this year are because of Will Herring? If you give us a FS with some catch up speed and the ability to actually guard someone, our defense would be #1 in every category, prolly. Something to think about. If i was CTT, i would have pulled him a long time ago. Don't get me wrong, i think he has alot of potential, but someone needs to tell him that making all sec freshman team when he could have been the only freshman FS in the league. I think he was a little better last year. GA will absolutely kill him. I hope someone tells him to step up before GA rolls in

Stat, I also have a question. How many steps does Cadillac take on a 67 yard screen pass when he gets hit 3 yards from the line of scrimmage, breaks the tackle, reverses his field, then gets hit again 12 yards from the LOS, breaks that tackle, runs over two offensive lineman that are in the way, takes a break during the run to yell "Go Crazy!!!', resumes running and finally is tackled on the 5 yard line?

StatTiger, you are the man.  Do this calculation for me:  How many points given up this year are because of Will Herring?  If you give us a FS with some catch up speed and the ability to actually guard someone, our defense would be #1 in every category, prolly. Something to think about.  If i was CTT, i would have pulled him a long time ago.  Don't get me wrong, i think he has alot of potential, but someone needs to tell him that making all sec freshman team when he could have been the only freshman FS in the league.  I think he was a little better last year.  GA will absolutely kill him.  I hope someone tells him to step up before GA rolls in

118288[/snapback]

Unlike most, I think that Will Hering is getting a very bad rap on these boards!!!! Will plays Strong Safety and is used a lot against the run.I thought Will had a very good game against the run and made several key stops in the running game against Ole Miss. Like I said, Will plays SS in the Middle of the field. Bth TD catches were along the sideline.

The first TD pass, which everyone seems to blame on Will, looked like Auburn brought a blitz with Auburn playing a Man free, which is a Man to Man coverage with one safety for the long ball. If you watch the play, Ole Miss did a good job sending 3 Deep WR's. Will jumped on the long seem route in the middle of the feild which left a true man coverage on the corner. The corner either 1. has to be be in better position to cover the long ball or 2. not give up the outside and force the WR into the middle of the field were he has help. Neither obviously was done. Plays like this happen when you blitz. You leave your corners in a man coverage which allows for big plays.

The second TD pass looked like a god throw and catch which happens from time to time. If I remember correctly, it looked as if AU was in a cover 2 in which the 2 safeties play in deep halfs. This coverage is vulerable to a good corner route or good deep sideline route. A good route couple with a good throw will beat any safety in the league.

CTT has stated how good of a player Will is with capable speed. I don't think it is fair to judge him on the basis that you have judged him.

No.......I wouldn't know Will Hering if he walked up to me and said hello...It just bugs me when people pick a scape goat; especially wanting to know how many TD's were given up because of one guy!!!

StatTiger, you are the man.  Do this calculation for me:  How many points given up this year are because of Will Herring?  If you give us a FS with some catch up speed and the ability to actually guard someone, our defense would be #1 in every category, prolly. Something to think about.  If i was CTT, i would have pulled him a long time ago.  Don't get me wrong, i think he has alot of potential, but someone needs to tell him that making all sec freshman team when he could have been the only freshman FS in the league.  I think he was a little better last year.  GA will absolutely kill him.  I hope someone tells him to step up before GA rolls in

118288[/snapback]

How can this be determined? Not every TD where he was the closest man was his fault for giving up. And it is well know that WH is the FS for his tackling ability, not his speed. He's sorta a run-stopping FS if you will. I love the fact he gets his hat in EVERY running play, even those at the LOS. Yeah, he's not JR in speed, but I have yet to see him drop and interception. I watched Will play football in HS, AT QB! This is a new position for him and he's still learning. He has to take different angle than JR and CR, but I don't know that there is anyone else on the D who can play the position better. CGC blames the long tosses on the CBs, specifically Montae Pitts.

I would jump on WH just because he's the last man back every time. He's made mistake, definitely, but he is improving.

Will Herring does a good job each week. He had two huge plays against Ole Miss that could've been considered game-changing. Of course anyone that watched the game knows I'm speaking of the stop on fourth and short, and then the INT when Ole Miss was trying to make a game of it.

If we had anybody better than Will, wouldn't he be playing?

I guess in short I'm saying: Get off of Will's back!!!

first of all, i am not jumping on anybodys case. I have just grown sick of watching him play. Before you tell me that I have unfairly accused him, go back and watch the games several times as I have and just watch for yourself Herring's play. He does a good job against the run because he bites on the run every stinking play. The play that ole miss scored on that beat pitts was a good play, nuff said. The other one, the receiver went in motion and was Herrings responsibility, TD. If GA sees what I see from the film, we are in for a load of trouble, that was my point. You don't have to agree with me, but I know what i am talking about, and I am not someone to see someone get beat once and turn on him. As a matter of fact, he was one of my fav players last year. If you watch him, he does bite on the run everytime and he doesn't have the speed to catch up after that sometimes. Another game to watch is the GA game from last year. Just pick a game and watch, you will see. He is good against the run, though. Anyone who says he is around every tackle should watch the game again and see him come in after the player is already down, and push somebody or something. There is alot of times where he doesn't even make an attempt at a tackle. Just please watch a game or two before saying that my comments are wrong.

Stat, I also have a question.  How many steps does Cadillac take on a 67 yard screen pass when he gets hit 3 yards from the line of scrimmage, breaks the tackle, reverses his field, then gets hit again 12 yards from the LOS, breaks that tackle, runs over two offensive lineman that are in the way, takes a break during the run to yell "Go Crazy!!!', resumes running and finally is tackled on the 5 yard line?

118291[/snapback]

grass or artificial turf? :big:

About Herring...he may not be the fastest kid in the world, but I think he's done a great job this year for us. I've noticed against the run that he has been in on almost every stop in huge situations where it may not have even been his play to make. I think the he shows a lot of heart every week, and he's young so he can only get better with time.

first of all, i am not jumping on anybodys case.  I have just grown sick of watching him play.  Before you tell me that I have unfairly accused him, go back and watch the games several times as I have and just watch for yourself Herring's play.  He does a good job against the run because he bites on the run every stinking play.  The play that ole miss scored on  that beat pitts was a good play, nuff said.  The other one, the receiver went in motion and was Herrings responsibility, TD.  If GA sees what I see from the film, we are in for a load of trouble, that was my point.  You don't have to agree with me, but I know what i am talking about, and I am not someone to see someone get beat once and turn on him.  As a matter of fact, he was one of my fav players last year.  If you watch him, he does bite on the run everytime and he doesn't have the speed to catch up after that sometimes.  Another game to watch is the GA game from last year.  Just pick a game and watch, you will see.  He is good against the run, though.  Anyone who says he is around every tackle should watch the game again and see him come in after the player is already down, and push somebody or something.  There is alot of times where he doesn't even make an attempt at a tackle.  Just please watch a game or two before saying that my comments are wrong.

118324[/snapback]

Brother, by definition I would say that your two posts are all about jumping on Will Herrings case... ;)

jared52 quote:

"If GA sees what I see from the film, we are in for a load of trouble, that was my point."

My thought is this. David Greene will see more of the SKY in this game than his WR's. Georgia will score points, maybe 21, but Auburn will have 35 or 40 when it is all said and done.

Maybe we have played teams with more experianced QB's (except ut's) and instead of throwing the ball in an area to be intercepted they throw it to the ground or out of bounds Or they hold onto it and take the sack. I don't know but it sure is hard to throw and interception on your back.

WDE!!!

:au:

I really doubt that either team scores more then 30 points each. Outside of Florida (for god knows why), only team to score more then 20 points against us was Georgia Southern in the first game.

This game is totally unpredictable. I know the history behind this game. AU wins in Athens, UGA wins in Auburn. I know that trend has been broken lately, but I see a really close game with no clear stronger team. UGA is impressive, they have a good D, Green seems to be playing really good, good receivers, the O has good RBs. All the same things can be said about AU. But the home field advantage doesn't mean a thing in this game. But I'll still say AU by 4.

To me, it doesn't matter who has who.

Both teams have good enough offenses to win

Both teams have good enough defenses to win

Even if UGA has a better this or Auburn had a better that.....it wouldn't make a difference to me unless that unit got the job done.

The best team does not always win. The team that gets it done does.

To me, it doesn't matter who has who.

Both teams have good enough offenses to win

Both teams have good enough defenses to win

Even if UGA has a better this or Auburn had a better that.....it wouldn't make a difference to me unless that unit got the job done.

The best team does not always win. The team that gets it done does.

118423[/snapback]

SL, you are absolutely right. Hopefully for AU"s sake, we get out there and get the job done next Saturday.

I DO think that homefield will be an advantage in this game because the crowd will be extremely pumped up since this will be our last home game of an awesome year and this is one of our biggest rivals. I think it will play into who wins the game this year. Watch out for false starts for Georgia and Greene to be a little off-tempo the whole game, enough to get our D in there and make some big plays to help us win.

:au: 24

:uga: 17

WAR DAMN EAGLE AND BEAT THE DAWGS!!!!!

Archived