auburn swimming thread (for everything men and women)

TrumanCrockett

As a former swimmer, my praise for the Auburn swimmers and divers at this year's national championships. The number of swimmers and divers who qualified this year was small. On the men's team, only 7 swimmers qualified and one diver. Given the small number of athletes competing this year, it was a great accomplishment to finish in the top 10.

Yes, I share the opinion that Jay Jacobs made an immense blunder letting David Marsh leave. That was symptomatic of his overall failure as an AD. This is not a criticism of Brett Hawke, who is a fine swimming coach. But recruiting has fallen off precipitously. The team lacks the kind of quality depth that it had during the Marsh era. Great individual swimmers win events, but it is depth that wins championships in swimming.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad when even our swim teams are doing bad

A nationally ranked swim team is described as ... "doing bad".....some people have lost touch with reality in their eagerness to blame everything on JJ.

My eagerness as you say it... has taken a very long time. I've been a supporter of JJ until just recently. Reality is finishing last in football, last in basketball and beening 1-8 in SEC games in baseball. Also both our golf programs have fallen slightly. But I still have faith on Coach Nick and of course swiming. This is the worst overall I've ever seen AU Athletic programs especially the top 3 football, basketball and baseball.

A nationally ranked swim team is described as ... "doing bad".....some people have lost touch with reality in their eagerness to blame everything on JJ.

My eagerness as you say it... has taken a very long time. I've been a supporter of JJ until just recently. Reality is finishing last in football, last in basketball and beening 1-8 in SEC games in baseball. Also both our golf programs have fallen slightly. But I still have faith on Coach Nick and of course swiming. This is the worst overall I've ever seen AU Athletic programs especially the top 3 football, basketball and baseball.

In swimming we are back to what we would consider average for Auburn Swimming. AU was a perennial top 10 team for men and 15 for women for 20 years with incredibly inferior facilities. We had a dip during the Asmuth years, actually we fell off the map, but on the return of Dave Marsh we found the mountain top. It was always felt that if we had the facilities, we could get get just about anyone here- AU sells itself. We have the facilities. We are back to average. I have lost touch enough that I don't know who/what to blame. My understanding has been that Dave may be interested in returning, though I have not heard that directly. So our glory days at the natatorium appear to have ended. Nice while it lasted. Nobody cares, just like in Asmuth's day.

A Fish stinks first at the head.

It's really disappointing that there was not one mention (that I saw) on al.com about the NCAA S&D Championships and Auburn's achievement. There are Auburn beat writers for the major papers, but I guess they couldn't be bothered to write an article. Wonder if one of them will bother to write an article about the Equestrian championships coming up in a few weeks.

Since JJ drove David Marsh to leave Auburn, our swimming teams have been slowly declining. Yes, when you've pulled in ten national championships in recent years, a 13th place for the women and somewhere below the top five for the men is "bad". Of all of JJ's blunders, none even compares to him letting Marsh get away over petty squabbles about minor facility improvements. A swimming thread is the last place that someone should try to defend JJ. You'd find more justification for defending JJ in baseball or basketball, even softball than swimming. JJ's fouled swimming up far, far worse than any of those others.

This.

wde

• 9 months later...

Bump. I am going to try and be better about keeping this updated this year. Last year's school hit me like a semi and I took a hiatus from the board, hopefully this year is better.

I enjoyed your updates last year. keep it up if you can!

Bump. I am going to try and be better about keeping this updated this year. Last year's school hit me like a semi and I took a hiatus from the board, hopefully this year is better.

I enjoyed your updates last year. keep it up if you can!

Same here. Appreciate your efforts! Still want Marsh back!

Auburn's last home dual meet will be tomorrow (technically today/Saturday) against South Carolina. Starts at 1000 and senior day recognition will take place at 1040. We lost a pair of duals (men and women) to UF on January 25th. Women lost 173.5-124.5, while men were defeated 180-117. The UF men were ranked number two in the nation at the time.

The lists below are certainly not exhaustive! Swimming and diving is a team sport and most finishes count for scoring.

Names to look for in meets/Good finishes at UF:

Men: Marcelo Chierighini is a strong senior presence in short freestyle events (50M and 100M as well as swimming on relays) Won both the 50 and 100 at the UF dual. He holds the top times in NCAA on both the 50 and the 100 this season.

Zane Grothe- Senior in distance freestyle events. Looking for improvement in the long and medium distance events for men as they finished fourth (Zane) and fifth in the 1,000 (Junior Tommy McKee)

John Santeiu- Senior mens diver who won the 1M dive at UF dual. Auburn men took the top three spots from 1M. John also won the 3M, sweeping the diving event.

Joe Patching- Freshman backstroker who has been finding success all season. Won the mens 200 back.

Women:

Allyx Purcell: Freshman who typically swims shorter freestyle events. She took second in the 50 Free with two auburn women finishing right behind her. Also swims on the teams 200 medley team which beat the Gators, who currently hold the top time in the SEC.

Emily Bos: Senior who also swims short events. She finished first in the 100M Free at the UF dual, with Purcell finishing tied for second with a UF swimmer. She also won the 100 back.

Megan Fonteno: Junior that swims relays and the fly. She got her first win of the season at the UF meet.

I am no expert y'all, just like to keep you guys updated and offer my opinions sometimes along with it. In my inexperienced opinion, we look good in the shorter distances but are falling off with the medium and longer distances. We have a couple NCAA A-cut times for women and seven for the men. Tons of B-cuts. I am sure Coach Hawke will be pushing them to try to get some more A-cuts once SEC Championships roll around. Looking at our relays, we are pretty strong on the men's side of things, having four of the top five times in the SEC. Women aren't as strong there but have two top ten times in 200 and 400 free relay.

Hopefully the team swims well at SEC and the men get back to their winning ways and start a new streak! War Eagle!

Auburn's last home dual meet will be tomorrow (technically today/Saturday) against South Carolina. Starts at 1000 and senior day recognition will take place at 1040. We lost a pair of duals (men and women) to UF on January 25th. Women lost 173.5-124.5, while men were defeated 180-117. The UF men were ranked number two in the nation at the time.

The lists below are certainly not exhaustive! Swimming and diving is a team sport and most finishes count for scoring.

Names to look for in meets/Good finishes at UF:

Men: Marcelo Chierighini is a strong senior presence in short freestyle events (50M and 100M as well as swimming on relays) Won both the 50 and 100 at the UF dual. He holds the top times in NCAA on both the 50 and the 100 this season.

Zane Grothe- Senior in distance freestyle events. Looking for improvement in the long and medium distance events for men as they finished fourth (Zane) and fifth in the 1,000 (Junior Tommy McKee)

John Santeiu- Senior mens diver who won the 1M dive at UF dual. Auburn men took the top three spots from 1M. John also won the 3M, sweeping the diving event.

Joe Patching- Freshman backstroker who has been finding success all season. Won the mens 200 back.

Women:

Allyx Purcell: Freshman who typically swims shorter freestyle events. She took second in the 50 Free with two auburn women finishing right behind her. Also swims on the teams 200 medley team which beat the Gators, who currently hold the top time in the SEC.

Emily Bos: Senior who also swims short events. She finished first in the 100M Free at the UF dual, with Purcell finishing tied for second with a UF swimmer. She also won the 100 back.

Megan Fonteno: Junior that swims relays and the fly. She got her first win of the season at the UF meet.

I am no expert y'all, just like to keep you guys updated and offer my opinions sometimes along with it. In my inexperienced opinion, we look good in the shorter distances but are falling off with the medium and longer distances. We have a couple NCAA A-cut times for women and seven for the men. Tons of B-cuts. I am sure Coach Hawke will be pushing them to try to get some more A-cuts once SEC Championships roll around. Looking at our relays, we are pretty strong on the men's side of things, having four of the top five times in the SEC. Women aren't as strong there but have two top ten times in 200 and 400 free relay.

Hopefully the team swims well at SEC and the men get back to their winning ways and start a new streak! War Eagle!

Thanks for the update!

• 2 weeks later...

Women's 1M prelims: Scheper finishes 12th (271.85), Schuelein takes 17th (264.35), Mullins in 18th (262.25) and Calabretta is 24th (241.60).

Men are currently diving in 3M prelims: After one round, Santeiu tied for 4th, while McKean tied for 6th. Beran is 12th followed by Youtsey in 19th.

Men’s Team Standings (through 3 events): 1. Auburn 192; 2. Texas A&M 142; 3. Florida 139; 4. Tennessee 135; 5. South Carolina 131.

Thanks for the updates!

What is going on with the women? 10th place? Are we stronger in the remaining events?

We have fallen a long, long way from the women's teams that won back-to-back NCAA championships just a few years ago.

Archived