auburn swimming thread (for everything men and women)

TrumanCrockett

Men's standings after today:

1. Auburn University 574 2. University of Florida 451.5

3. Georgia, University of 414 4. Texas A&M University 296

5. Tennessee, University of, Knox 289 6. University of Alabama 285

7. University of Missouri 266 8. South Carolina, University of 251

9. Kentucky, University of 239 10. Louisiana State University 208.5

The women are buried in 9th place.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Santieu and McKean took first and third in the the 1m diving (men) yesterday.

Something I have noticed just from following the twitter feed is a bunch of PRs for both men and women (more for men). They are swimming their best times right now and that is good. It seems the men have more depth than they did last year and that is good if they can qualify them to NCAAs. I know some have made A-cuts before the SEC Championship and hopefully more still will.

The women are also setting some PRs but most still aren't cracking the A-final in each event and that causes them fall behind in the standings. In this mornings prelims, the women did not qualify anybody for an A-final. All B and C finals.

I hope the men can retake the lead. The ladies look to be on an upward trend but lack the depth to compete with the top tier.

At least the women fought back to some level of respectability, 2nd for the Men is a bitter pill, after b-slapping UF for so many years.

• 2 weeks later...

NCAA Zone B Diving meet is happening in Greensboro N.C. This is the only chance for our divers to qualify for the NCAA Championships (men and women). We need to qualify as many as possible because the NCAA is a lot about depth. But they are going to have to place pretty high here to get to the meet.

I saw where Auburn has qualified 13 for the men's NCAA's. In our championship years we'd have 18 or 19 men there. I don't think 13 provides enough depth to win it all, maybe a top 5 is obtainable.

• 2 weeks later...
"I thought we came out and performed really well," Auburn head coach Brett Hawke said. "I'm definitely disappointed to get disqualified in the 400 medley relay, but the guys came back tonight very focused and we did what we needed to do. Tomorrow is another day and they've definitely got their head on right, we'll be ready to go."

>:(

Finished sixth overall. Cal took the overall title. We ended up taking the 400 Free Relay, which we should have because we had two guys in the final and one in consolation final for the 100 free. Marcelo finished as the runner-up in the 100 free for the third straight year, according to rowdy it was because he had a bad start.

Cal has won three of the last four. We used to be like that.

UGA and UF both finished better than us.

I'm spoiled. I clearly remember checking the morning results and being able to see how well we'd do that night, and the many championships. The women's championship at Auburn's own pool was a great thing to attend. It's hard for me to reconcile just how far we've slipped.

I'm spoiled. I clearly remember checking the morning results and being able to see how well we'd do that night, and the many championships. The women's championship at Auburn's own pool was a great thing to attend. It's hard for me to reconcile just how far we've slipped.

And the thing is, the coaches seem satisfied. Brett Hawke tweeted he was proud. Not sure if he was just trying to boost the morale of the kids or not. But the team has declined since he took over and it doesn't seem to bother him.

• 6 months later...

Auburn Swimming opens its season tomorrow (Friday) at Indiana. I notice that the meet is to be televised by Big10 Network, but I'm not seeing it listed for SEC Network. ???

What is the point of having an SEC Network. If all it is going to show is Finebaum and some talking heads, plus ESPN programming, there's really nothing there. You'd think an SEC Network would make a point of showing events that are not available from ESPN and would interest SEC fans. And the fact that this event is being televised on the Big10 Network, you'd think the SEC Network would want to show it as well, seeing as how Auburn has one of the top swimming programs in the country.

I don't know how to complain to the SEC Network, since the only contact info I can find is ESPN.

Not on the SEC Network just Big 10 not sure why maybe because it's at Indiana.

Apparently Dish replaced Big Ten with SEC, at least with me. So while I now get the SEC, the Big Ten is gone. Anybody else notice something similar? PS: The big Ten Network could have been gone a long time, it wasn't something I routinely watched.

PPS: So how did our swimmers do?

Auburn swimming and diving split its opening dual meet of the season on the road at Indiana Friday at the Counsilmen-Billingsley Aquatics Center.

The Auburn women (1-0) defeated Indiana, 129-113, in their first trip to Bloomington, Ind., while the Tiger men (0-1) fell 149-91 to the Hoosiers. The win for the Auburn women moved the Tigers to 3-0 all-time against Indiana.

Auburn swimming and diving split its opening dual meet of the season on the road at Indiana Friday at the Counsilmen-Billingsley Aquatics Center.

The Auburn women (1-0) defeated Indiana, 129-113, in their first trip to Bloomington, Ind., while the Tiger men (0-1) fell 149-91 to the Hoosiers. The win for the Auburn women moved the Tigers to 3-0 all-time against Indiana.

Thanks for the information, though it is a bit disappointing. 149-91 is a serious whuppin' the way swimming is scored.

Archived